twin webers not starting after engine out

Discussion in 'Carburettor' started by phil88, Dec 30, 2009.

1. Jolfa

Jolfa Forum Junkie

Alternatively, if easy start isn't getting it going properly - whack the fuel pressure right up (anti-clockwise on a Filter King iirc?) 'til it does, then knock it right down again once it's going.

I had all this sh*t when I first fitted my bike carbs, these cowboy methods I'm suggesting would get it going and driving ok, the main problem though was vacuum leaks all over the place...

Other things to check - ignition timing, cam timing (if you've touched the belt at all), mixture (setting my mixture properly gained me 30bhp!)?

2. phil88 Forum Member

yeah i recon i have some vacumn leaks, after todays starting efforts i felt the bottom of the carbs near the inlet and found a ****load of petrol... had a look to see if there tight and were on solid. How tight should the nuts be, i fear i might have over tightened them and effected the seal.

Also, what have done to all the vacuum pipes? mine are all connected up like the used to be, inlet-dash-ecu and brake servo... but its looking messy, can i not do without theses?

3. EZ does it Forum Member

You only need ECU vacuum really for it to run, but brakes will be seriously heavy without the servo, and mpg gauge on the dash will read 99.9 without its vacuum, not that it'll be that accurate anyway!

Are they sealed with these? If so then not all that tight, just enough to squish the rubber a little bit, they need to be a bit loose to isolate the carbs from engine vibrations.

Any chance the bottom cover (no. 89) is loose, or has a bad gasket? That would leak fuel at the bottom of the carb.

This is about the right gap to have with misab plates.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2010
  4. phil88 Forum Member

5. EZ does it Forum Member

I doubt it makes any significant difference which you use, I suppose there would be a chance of the rubber ring slipping out of its slot when you're tightening?

6. danster Forum Addict

Have you tried new spark plugs?
    How old is the fuel in the car?
    In this cold weather the fuel will struggle to vapourise and as a result it is fairly easy to flood the engine. Even if the plugs look dry they could still be coated in old fuel and not spark efficiently. My track car runs webers and as it is not used all year round the fuel goes off and i have had this problem with spark plugs too.
    It could run on easy start but that can ignite on compression and not need a good spark.
    I would not recommend to much easy start as it can cause engine damage. Your car is meant to run on petrol and the fact it is not needs sorting.
    If the carbs have a fuel level about 1.5 inch or so from the top then that will be enough to run. Do the accelarator pumps squirt when you open the throttle?
    The idle jet holes are small and if there is any corrosion in the carbs with them sitting around these can get choked. Just pull them out and blow them clean.
    Spark plugs or old fuel as long as all timing and leads are correct i reckon.

7. Jolfa

Jolfa Forum Junkie

Oooorrrr tow it in gear with the ignition on until it starts :thumbup:

8. phil88 Forum Member

Have you tried new spark plugs?

Ive had all the plugs out had them sparking in sequence, im getting a really good spark (all the ignition components have been replaced)

ive had the dremel on them with a wire wheel to clean them all up

How old is the fuel in the car?

2 months or so

Do the accelarator pumps squirt when you open the throttle?

Yep

The idle jet holes are small and if there is any corrosion in the carbs with them sitting around these can get choked. Just pull them out and blow them clean.

yeah checked that too, seemed ok

Timings correct too, double checked that.

I think it could be a vacuum problem along with fuel pressure, there to two things at the moment that still need attention. Ill let you know how i get on when im back up north

Thanks for the help from everyone so far, its been amazing, cheers :thumbup:

9. WAK

wak Forum Member

i think the problem with mine could have been simple, still not been to it since last time i tried to start it, but cause its been sitting out under a car port, could condensation have built up and then froze the butterflies, hence the fuel in the trumpets... it was about minus 5 and i hadn't started the car in 6 weeks??

cheers

10. EZ does it Forum Member

I doubt it, mine hasn't had much of a problem starting in sub-zero conditions, been working on it in the snow :lol:

It's worth checking that the pump jets have the little ali washer installed, if its damaged or not there fuel can leak past that apparently!