Two exhaust cam question(16V)

Discussion in '16-valve' started by Alan, Nov 11, 2003.

1. Alan Forum Member

Im thinking of having the mod done where an exhaust cam is fitted in place of the inlet cam on my 16V (KR), has anyone else had this done?

How did it change the way the power/torque was produced and did it have much of an effect on fuel consumption?

Edited by: Alan

2. prof Forum Addict

not really worth it IIRC, just get a good tune up at stealth

ChrisP had it done on his, reved well, not a huge difference tho

3. Alan Forum Member

Vince mentioned it last time I was at stealth. I was running 260s but they didnt work so Im looking for a decent cam combination to replace the standard ones.

4. prof Forum Addict

260s too lumpy? lost torque?

ported head and just KR cams should give 170+

260 shricks or kent?

5. prof Forum Addict

Vince knows loads more than me so will be good advice, just 260s should be a pretty good compromise

6. Alan Forum Member

The 260s lost torque, but also strangly when the standard cam went back in it made 1 bhp more.
    The 260s where shricks, its running at about 176bhp at the min

7. flusted Forum Member

i did this mod and its amazing! ticks over fine and no loss of low down power but soon as you hit 4k YUMMY!

You do need a machined chain wheel for the conversion to correct the timing which i had done by HOTGOLF and he made a brilliant job of it.Vince used to charge 70 plus vat where HOTGOLF does them for 25

I would reccomend this mod to anyone who wants a good power increase for little outlay :) :) :) :)

8. dUff

dUff Administrator Admin

Blimey thats a suprise i run schrick 260`s and always felt they gave good power and torque. I would have thought that going back to 2 exhaust cams would decrease power as the lift on the KR cams is about 1mm less

9. Alan Forum Member

I still cant work out the problem with the 260s, I guess its just the combination of what has been done to the engine.

10. prof Forum Addict

lower dynamic compression ratio

from what i can understand the longer duration cams, close later, right, so at low revs less mixture gets compressed and it makes less torque, at high revs tho it actually gets more in and "comes on cam"

so to make it work properly i reckon you need higher static compression and more advance at low revs, then mapped ignition to pull some of the timing once it gets going.

flusted you got a before and after dyno plot?

11. Alan Forum Member

I'd like to see those

12. Higgim Forum Member

Yep I have Schrick 262 cams on my Valver. They make no noticeable difference until about 5500 rpm where they come "on cam" again. So in essense I get the 4200rpm effect twice.The cams were fitted by Avonbar Racing with the intention of using a 2 litre conversion.

I have driven Mickey1's car with the Stealth cam mod and must admit that the response and pickup on that engine is much crisper than my own :(

13. GVK

GVK Paid Member Paid Member

Higgim, I've got a vid here of Marcus going around the 'Ring (and nearly collecting a Boxster, but that's another story)

His engine does sound as if it picks up cleanly and revs well. [:D]

Alan, IMO the KR cams are a good compromise between low enfd torque and 'good' top end power.

14. Alan Forum Member

sounds like it could be worth trying

15. Higgim Forum Member

:p He he, heard all about that. His must be one of the best performing 1.8 valvers around. He has got a few other mods but nothing over the top.

Go for the cams Alan. (and a 42mm inlet manifold if you don't already have it) - I'm a strong believer in that mod.

16. Alan Forum Member

Is the 42mm a re-bored standard 16v MK2 inlet or is it off another model?

17. Higgim Forum Member

Its the narrower inlet manifold from the earlier 16V. There are (as always) two schools of thought with this mod. Some will say you lose out at the top end, I believe for day to day use, that is outweighed by the increased responsiveness.

18. prof Forum Addict

depends on capacity 2.0s need 42mm whereas 1.8s work well with 50s, it's all to do with the size of the plenam, the boxy bit the runners join onto, on a 1.9 i'm not sure

19. NormanCoal Forum Member

Personally speaking, the twin exhaust cam is a good mod for the 1800 - vince at stealth told me that the mod is worthless on the 2L. The reason for the mod on the 1800 is to try and give it some low down torque, which the 1800 lacks in relative comparison to the 2L. The normal cams come in at 4K revs and that is when you feel the push. The idea of the twin exhaust cam is to get rid of this, and it does it successfully. I cant remember without looking, but I gained low down torque without the loss of top end power. There was no noticable kick at 4K rpm as per a normal 1800, and made the engine feel more like a 2L in response.

My take on the 42mm inlet is simple - in my opinion they work well on road cars (think about it, how often are you at max throttle for long periods) as what you need is torque. The 50 works well on cars that have a track bias - both Barny and speedo went to 50mm on their track MK2's (both 2L's) and they both gained top end power (as proven on a comparision on the same rollers)

Make of that what you will :)

20. GVK

GVK Paid Member Paid Member

Other than Bill's old Jetta on ITBs and Crane 260/268 I'm yet to see a 16v produce more torque than the 151 lb/ft I've got on Stealth's rollers, 42mm all the way for me [:^:] I did buy a 50mm recently with the view of fitting when/if I get a head ported, it's going over the Atlantic in a box any day now ;)
    Edited by: G_V_K