Upper strut brace

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous Technical Queries' started by Geordie 18t, Feb 12, 2007.

1. Geordie 18t Forum Member

What exactly do i need to fit an engine strut brace between front shocks..cheers new to modding etc

2. Phil. Forum Junkie

3. golfmanuk Forum Member

dead link mate

4. Matt82

Matt82 Forum Addict

in short, a drill and some bolts and some big kahones. im not keen on drilling holes in my struts, but im definately doing it for the rear.

5. Phil. Forum Junkie

6. Phil. Forum Junkie

Damn it the link doesn't work again. - It did this morning.

As Matt says, really simple to fit. You don't necessarily need to remove the strut to fit although it makes it easier. Don't forget to use some form of sealant or protection on the bare metal you expose when drilling and threadlock on the bolts. 10 min job.

7. Matt82

Matt82 Forum Addict

nothing is a 10min job for me lol ever since my 'measure twice cut once' episode, i wont be taking this job lightly at all.

ive not seen any good proof that the front brace is anything other than decorative, so ill be going for the rear one, or a half cage

8. The db

The db Forum Junkie

I know the front strut makes no difference on a mk2, not sure about a mk3 though.... and will only add more weight if not making any handling gains.

Rear braces are a good idea, and I know on the mk2 you can fit and keep the rear bench/boot space.

9. Geordie 18t Forum Member

what about my fat mk4.i handles like a puppy on lino!! was an idea to try an stiffen the car?any other ideas muchos aprrechos! and remember a fat golf is better than no dub....lol

10. Matt82

Matt82 Forum Addict

stiffen the car? what do you mean by that? make it roll less in corners?

as for the mk3, basically it seems the front brace wont make and diff, really cant wait to get a rear brace on, i think it should be a nice change.

not fussed about loosing the boot, is basically uncivilised anyway

11. Geordie 18t Forum Member

yes roll in corners and severe u/steer anti roll bar perhaps.ideas please ppl..
    Cheers

12. Matt82

Matt82 Forum Addict

to reduce roll you need to uprate the springs and dampers, but to be fair its probably more trouble than its worth if you have very little background mechanical knowledge. i recon you should read up what does what and what you need to change and why, then decide if thats what you really want

13. Collie Forum Junkie

i had one on my mk1 xr2 it was slammed and had the brace front and rear it was so stiff in the dry it felt like you could flip it on its roof if you twitched. in the wet it just went straight every where under steer ahoy.

14. Matt82

Matt82 Forum Addict

thats probably more to do with the fact it was 'slammed' lol

15. Collie Forum Junkie

yes i was only 19 mate it was all the rage in the dark ages.

16. Matt82

Matt82 Forum Addict

people do it now, ive never quite understood it, i see playing about with the suspension as a way of making it go round corners better, most 'decked' cars ive been in have handled like crabs on amphetamines

very fast and very sideways

17. The db

The db Forum Junkie

Agreed. I've got mine lowered 60mm on some very good FK highsport coilies and it handles like a go kart. No need to go any lower than that. Only problem is that the ride is very stiff and you feel every single bump.

Strut braces would stiffen the car up a bit, but I'd start with changing your suspension set up and taking it from there as I really dont think you need strut braces unless your planning on using your car for very fast road use.

Best bet for better handling is to get some uprated shocks, and lowering springs. Drop it by about 40mm and you should instantly notice the handling improve.

If you want it to go like its on rails, and dont car about handling then opt for the coilover option.

I also know that there can be a problem with suspension bushes on mk4 golfs at around 60,000 so may be worth looking into that also and replacing those for some powerflex items....

Maybe worth looking at changing the arbs and lower strut brace for an uprated item too if your still not happy with the handling after changing the shock set up...

18. Collie Forum Junkie

thats a class remark almost clarkson. Bravo..............anyway
    were all young and foolish at some point, oem+ is the way forward now. just got some konis for the car and booked in for revo soon.

19. golfmanuk Forum Member

right ive got c ouple to fit on my mk2 went to fit them the other day and had a quick look put hand onthe top and put hand on the bottom of the front strut and the gap didnt feel 25mm so i got to get 50mm bolts and then can fit will post sum pics up once fitted

they will be fitted before the 25th for the track day hehe

what i was goin to do was drill holes put silcone in the hole push the bolt in then once all in place and tightend up put under body sealer on the under side of the struts where i just drilled through

lol i think this should be suffient enough to stop the rust also my body on my car is 21 years old so once holes in place they will be there for the next 21 years so best to take EVERY precaution

:thumbup:

20. oak8vgti Forum Member

once you have drilled your holes get a touch up pen (doesnt matter what colour) and paint all the bare metal bits, let the paint dry then fit the strut brace, bolt up and the paint the body sealer on