Upper strut brace

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous Technical Queries' started by Geordie 18t, Feb 12, 2007.

1. dubDREAD

dubDREAD Forum Member

i have always believed a mk2 doesnt need a front strutbrace its stiff enough , rear is more useful but can lead to rear end steppin out :o , a bit a wibble wobble is good inna chassis :lol: on the road anyway track maybe different???
    i have a brace between the front nuts of my front wishbones dont know if it does anything apart from look good

2. Matt82

Matt82 Forum Addict

the sub frame does that job already, so thats another cosmetic one i tend to beleive.

rear brace is a job for me in the next few weeks. shame a simple bar costs 30!

3. Seraph Banned

springs wont reduce roll enough on a mk4 - uprated roll bars are imperative

id suggest FK or neuspeed jobies

as for a strutbrace, donr waste money on a new one, find an s3 jobbie.

4. golfmanuk Forum Member

well i also think that the front brace is mostly cosmetic but offers a little bit more stiffness at the front heres few pics mu instalation done this morning also theres a vid my exhaust

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. Matt82

Matt82 Forum Addict

that was neat, seems a bit mad that the bar is secured by 2 small bolts either side, id be happier with 4 to spread the forces, if any, that were being braced

ideally id like one of those 3 point rear triangulated items, but again thats like 50 for 3 metal bars!!

6. golfmanuk Forum Member

there is three bolts in a triangle set up just hard to see in the pic also just fin putting the back one on had to drop the enitre suspension out the back so i can get bolts in lol

little job always turns into a big one

7. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

I think the force is spread out thru the collar on the brace to the top of the struts, the bolts are just there to hold the brace down...

8. golfmanuk Forum Member

well if it pops of at donnington then we know that the bolts werent big enough hehe

9. Matt82

Matt82 Forum Addict

i bet 50p that it doesnt pop out cos there isnt enough force to actually effect it to that extent, which it why front braces dont make a big difference.

im going to fit a rear one soon... ill let you know how it goes.

do you recon your front one made any diff at all?

10. golfmanuk Forum Member

the front brace is more cosmetic where as the rear brace will do something im sure the front will do something as now theres not as much flex at the front

the one i had for the back you have to drill holes this ment i have to drop the suspension out of the back of the carnow on stands and cant put back together because of the bloody rain lol

pics to follow

11. Matt82

Matt82 Forum Addict

mine too, im putting poly top mounts on too... 2 jobs in one. should be good [:D]