uprated headlight loom

Discussion in 'Mk2' started by alexisblades99, Dec 19, 2009.

1. Dave

Dave *Very Smart* Pedantic Old Fart Paid Member

If you are changing the headlight switch, be careful as VW changed the terminals some time around 1988/1989, and early switches will plug into later sockets.
    I bought a1990 Mk2 Gti, for my daughter, from a scrap yard. It was so frigged about with that I got it home by wiring the fuel pump (or pumps, I forget exactly), into the rear side lights. When I had re-built it, I fitted a 1987 light switch,(I already had an 87 and lots of spares), and of course the lights failed to work properly. Took me ages to sort out, as I assumed I had c**cked up somewhere.

2. 1990

1990 Paid Member Paid Member

I have a couple of headlight wiring questions if someone could help.

Could you upgrade the loom from the fuse box plugs onwards with thicker wires?

If you just have headlights (No fogs or spots) what wires would you need from the fuse box onwards?

If you had a 4 lamp grill and the sopts wern't wired would you fail your MOT?

Thanks in advance

3. pigbladder Forum Addict

theyre not relayed from the orig wiring, so wouldnt really do much

you could cut it all back so that just the yellow and white remain as triggers and make up or buy a nice relayed loom

4. chrismc Forum Junkie

Yes the Phillips bulbs are standard 55W H4, & are definitely a step up as a direct replacement to stock bulbs...good enough for occasional night-time use

I agree that an uprated loom is a must if you do lots of night driving. Mine was free, so I lost patience very quickly, hence why i binned it

A few extra quid spent on a decent kit that will be able to be kept dry is a wise investment. Will certainly make you quicker A to B at night rather than wasting the money on a chavvy-filter too:lol: ;)

5. 1990

Are the yellow and white the headlight and sidelight?

So from the fuse box it would need:

Yellow - Right sidelight (plug A2/pin 3)
    White - Right headlight (plug A2/pin 6)

Yel/Blk - Left sidelight (plug A1/pin 1)
    Yel/Blk - Left headlight (plug A1/pin 6)

The earth from the fuse box could be binned and they could be earthed to the battery or to the body close to the headlight?

6. pigbladder Forum Addict

yellow is dip..white is main beam

yes id earth everthing from scratch

7. Mike_H Forum Addict

There's no need to cut anything. You never know when you might want to put it back, if a relay fails, or you find a fussy MOT man.

8. 1990

I've already cut it a couple of months ago but wouldn't mind cutting it again so I could mount a couple of repays behind the air box somewhere. I like it simple and wouldn't mind if I had to swap the grill for MOT. I find my Alhambra is such a **** to work on because of all the extra crap thats on it.

I just swapped the brake light switch, made me want to smash the spanish piece of crap up.

I'd like to have my mk2 as simple as possible, i'd like to have it with the minunum amount of stuff it needed to pass the MOT so lights, indicators, a horn, the diagnostic port and nothing else would be great.

9. Amrit_G2_16v_91 New Member

Hi RJ,
    I would be interested in a four relay loom.
    Thats if your making them :thumbup:

10. jmsheahan CGTI Graphics Designer

Not to rob RJ of any potential sales but the mattie guy has a load up for sale on ebay again. I've got one on order so will report back - doing a fair bit of night driving at the mo and need to sort something. It's just plain dangerous with the current setup :thumbd:

11. Gaz37 The Grouch. Paid Member

Last edited: Feb 4, 2010
  12. MJR89 Forum Member

Hi Folks, just tried to fit one of these uprated wiring looms, i thought it would be an easy enough job, got it wired it to where i thought was correct but when i went to put the lights on i only got one sidelight coming on (drivers side) and didnt get any main lights coming on.

just wondering if anyone has had this before with the looms and can anyone shed any light on it?

cheers Mark

13. theboymike Forum Junkie

14. SimonG Forum Member

Good job there, well worth doing even without super duper bulbs. Noticed a whole world of difference with mine. How many relays have you used?

15. theboymike Forum Junkie

Cheers - used four 25A micro relays; two each side for dip and main..

16. thegave Forum Member

Best mod ever. dr_zoidberg on here made me one. Driving at night used to make me really tired because I couldn't see squat in front of me. Now it's great I don't feel like I'm slowly going blind.