V5 MPG, Convincing the Mrs

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous Technical Queries' started by mike1, Jul 31, 2008.

1. mike1 Forum Member

Found a Golf V5 that I would like, problem is the wife in all her wisdom sees mpg as the be all and end all, trying to convince her that a newer car with 32mpg will actually be cheaper than an old diesel, because all of your savings with the diesel will be wiped out everytime something goes wrong. Its proving difficult.

Does anyone have any ideas of some good arguments for the V5 that I can use in my defence or any users know of the V5 actually getting better MPG than 32.

2. Matt82

Matt82 Forum Addict

does it actually do 32mpg though? you might be better off with a 20vt, which we know does 32mpg and more

3. mike1 Forum Member

According to parkers it does. I was going to go for the 1.8t but quite like the idea of the V5 now, better noise. They seem to be better value than the gti's as well, not sure why.

4. Matt82

Matt82 Forum Addict

i think the reason is they are not particularly quick and not particularly economical. im sure i remember speaking to someone in the past moaning about the lack of economy.

have you done a search for v5 on here?

5. Matt82

Matt82 Forum Addict

6. mike1 Forum Member

Thanks for finding that, annoyingly it doesn't put me off. The one I have seen is only 50k miles a 2000 170ps dragon green model with rather fetching cream leather. They are only asking 2900 where as a turbo for the same money has twice the miles. We have a 115 gttdi and that is a bit floaty which I think the V5 is also, thats the only thing putting me off at the moment, currently driving a mk2 MR2 which as silly as it looks is absolutely brilliant to drive. I'll have a look and a drive and see what I think. Cheers for the help.

7. Matt82

Matt82 Forum Addict

same funny handling, much less economy. i cant see how its a good idea

low mileage would be the worst buying point out of all of that too.

8. mike1 Forum Member

I've just done a search on the V5 vs 1.8T debate and the 1.8 seems to win every time. I'll go and have a look, just getting over excited. Out of curiosity do you know where in the boot I can find the engine code sticker?

9. Matt82

Matt82 Forum Addict

lift the carpet, you see the spare wheel well, its a sticker, on the right i think

10. Cabby Dave Forum Member

remember, there is 10v and 20v engines too

11. mike1 Forum Member

Yeah I think it's the AGZ that I want which is the 170 version. Pleaselet me know if thats not right.

12. pRot3us Forum Junkie

The V5 engine, what the hell were VW thinking [:[] [8-}]

Don't do it!!

13. mike1 Forum Member

Drove it last night and was a bit underwhelmed. The leather/heated seats/etc were all very nice, around the bends was like any wibbly wobbly mk4 but the power didn't seem urgent enough. Trying a 1.8T tomorrow so will decide after that. Your right about it being a weird engine though. Also everyone who owns one says the noise is worth it, but was nothing special really, just sounds like money falling from my pocket.

14. Matt82

Matt82 Forum Addict

the 1.8t engine isnt particularly amazing either. one of the dullest power deliveries in history imo.

id be more tempted by a pd130 or pd150 if the budget allowed it

15. Tspec

Tspec Forum Member

mate, the V5 enigine is a bit of a joke. heavy on fuel, not very quick. never been impressed by the V5 noise. if you can stretch to a V6 4motion, id have a look at that. overall, your proberbly best going for the 1.8T. good on fuel, reasonably quick as standard.

oh, and theres no way the V5 will avarage 32mpg. i regularly see high 30s, sometimes 40s from my 1.8T unless im driving like a tool.

the V5 vs 1.8T debate is easy, the 1.8T always wins. the real debate is between the V6 and the 1.8T. of which i obviously believe the 1.8T to be the better choice in the long run.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2008
  16. mike1 Forum Member

I've got a gttdi 115 which I like but to get a decent 130 or 150 would cost about 1500 more than I'm looking to spend. The 1.8t is attractive because of the simple tuning options. I work near awesome so I could easily see some big gains easily from the 1.8, I know the tdi can be tuned easily to but it's too pricey to buy in the first place.

17. Tspec

Tspec Forum Member

if your moving from a 115bhp gttdi to a 150bhp 1.8T id think you would be fairly content with the power on offer. big heavy engines are a waste of time. you should really be looking at the 1.8T. it will keep your wife happy, and it will be a bit more lively to drive. as you said as well, theres the option of remapping it down the line. you know it makes sense.

18. Matt82

Matt82 Forum Addict

and the 20vt will get genuninely good fuel consumption if driven sensibly.

when driving to berkshire with sheryl, her chipped on was showing 43mpg+ average for the trip, crusing at 70-80 mph.

a v5 will never ever do that

19. mike1 Forum Member

Just quickly Matt82 or Tspec, you refer to it as the 20vt, I read somewhere that from 2001 the engine changed is that the 20vt? the ones I am looking at are all 1999, 2000 models.

Do you know if there were any massive changes to the 1.8T in 2001?

Cheers

20. Matt82

Matt82 Forum Addict

basically the same engine. they have various codes (agu, aum etc) but a 150bhp lump is much the same as the rest

after 2000-2001 they changed from cable throttle to drive by wire (pretty much the biggest change).

the engine itself isnt that different though, just a few of the bits attached to it