valver gurus please enter......

Discussion in '16-valve' started by Riley, Sep 8, 2004.

1. Rallye Forum Junkie

or sell your soul and get a roller bearing setup :lol: anyway back to the
    real world.

my personal preferance would be for a 92.8mm crank and silly big bore,
    apeing the VWM motors

2. Riley

Riley Forum Addict

arghhhhh,those bolts!
    ive changed/had the sump off a few times and,them 2/3 bolts are a right bastard to get back in. [:x]

nearly just created a "new" thread for em a few times out of anger [:x]

cheers again :clap:

what are the reasons for that preference rallye?
    have you seen 84mm pistons somewhere? :p
    Edited by: riley

3. H8SV8S Forum Member

I agree with Rallye, go as far as you can with the bore rather than the stroke. 92.8mm is pretty long anyway. Re finding 84mm pistons: IIRC, they're available off the shelf from a couple of companies, although at a premium price. The other option is to have some custom made, which is what I'd do. Also, if you're going to all that trouble, you might aswell get them notched for a 20v head and fit the BV 'AGU' (?) head.

4. mk1vdub Forum Member

mmmmmmm 2.0L 20V [8D]

I have recently been reading pracical performance car magazine (having stumbled across the first issue in a newsagent) and it has some very interesting articles on building a bomb proof engine, making your own throttle body fuel-injection including machining your own throttle bodies -(not as hard as you might think!)and megasquirt ECUs and some great articles by Dave Walker on cam timing, ignition timing, suspension and geometry, brakes, exhausts and induction - pulse tuning. Which I think would be really usefull and interesting to you, if you can get your hands on back issues. Its also got loads of ads for engine tuning/building companys and parts etc. Well worth a read.

5. DEX

Dex Paid Member Paid Member

to get peak power at 8k you would need something hotter than 276's *in my opinion* i think you'd be nearer to 300 degree cams

and if you were *only* getting 200bhp at 8k then the engine would be pretty pony in my opinion

if you look at the guys who are running 200bhp on k-jet - they aren't having to go to 8k to get it

IIRC Speedo's jetta made his 200bhp at about 7k

6. Admin Guest

Alright all, as you can see ive just registered and am hooked on this thread, just like 'riley' i'm currently wondering what spec parts to use in my 9a thats currently in pieces (No.1 big end spun a bearing), looking at building a 2.0/2.1 litre engine and would like it to produce good usable power and to rev its bits off without detonating.

How would a 95.5mm deisel crank and/or combined with 83.5mm pistons affect the performance/reviness of the engine? do you need high com pistons to help it rev or is most of it to do with having all the internal components weight checked, lightened and balanced? Finally what machining work is required to fit the BV 'AGU' head to the 9a block and what advantages would this give?[:s]

Go on give the new lad some advice! Cheers.