VR6 balljoint extenders

Discussion in 'Track Prep & Tech' started by RobT, Jan 11, 2009.

1. RobT

RobT Forum Junkie

[​IMG]

about to go under test, more info soon....

2. PhatVR6 Forum Junkie

me want, can I buy some off you?

3. RobT

RobT Forum Junkie

providing the design looks good when fitted on the car, all angles check out, bumpsteer etc is ok, yes I will be making these available for sale (they should be ok) - only to ClubGTI members [:D]

4. PhatVR6 Forum Junkie

I'd need them to fit TT wishbones though.

nice work, if you need any help with engineering drawings or anything give me a shout.

5. PhatVR6 Forum Junkie

some flats machined on the sides so you can hold it to undo the nyloc nut (which you haven't use ;) ) would be nice.

Just one thing, why have you put the track rod end on top of the arm, surely it should be underneath now?

6. Dub Nutta Forum Member

Or broach an allen hey fitting into the head of the shank? the change in I and stres concentrations when you add flats have to be considered.

I take it you have a spherical bearing in the lower portion of this joint, or have you been able to reuse the orgional joint or something? I would be interested in the maxium angularity as this is something I struggled with on my wishbones and later used an OE ball joint

looks like a nice job, be interested to see how the ride height and bump steer data comes out. What material did you use, EN24T?

7. RobT

RobT Forum Junkie

that is an all-steel locknut ;) I'm not completely stupid.....:lol: and the pin is tapered so it doesn't need flats to undo the nut - like ray said, I was trying to avoid stress-risers

I am experimenting with the trackrod ontop and underneath - need to get some measurements when on car and decide which is best

Ray - there is a spherical bearing the in base housing which bolts into a stock wishbone with the standard 3 bolts, and the housing is angled to get the bearing at zero deflection at standard ride hight....took a bit of working out. Material is EN19T.

The problem with the VR6 setup is that the pin is not vertical, it moves outwards towards the disk as it is lowered. To get the desired drop, I have had to move the whole of the brake assembly outboard by 9mm. I have enough room to do this with my wheels/arches so its ok for my car but if you are short of room, them perhaps not, another solution may be needed.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2009
  8. 12valver Forum Member

Hi RobT, can you please add me to the list of interested parties for some of these if they go into production.

Thanks,

Martin

9. craggsy Forum Member

So what would this do to the car......im kinda interested but wanna know how they make the car better. Im ok at most stuff but things like this befuddle me

10. PhatVR6 Forum Junkie

when you lower a car the wishbones no longer sit level. so ther problem you have is that any further suspension compression really starts to up set the geometry. The main problem is bump steer, and when the steering tie rods are running at an angle other than as close to lever as possible their effective length chances with suspension compression.

by fitting a ball joint extender you and putting the wishbone back down nearer it's roll centre (i.e. horizontal), and by flipping the track rod ends you're hoping to do the same with the steering track rods.

11. craggsy Forum Member

Hmmm i'll have to have a look at where wishbones are sat and then might be up for a pair, money dependant that is

12. Bodge Forum Member

I was scratching my head trying to work out how I could get my car to handle while been low and get wishbone level

This is a brilliant idea! is this how they get touring cars low without messing the handling up???

Anyway im def interested in these, Any idea on price?

13. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

It is how they sort out the handling on the Touring Cars, because it seems they have to use standard hubs these days.

I'll be interested in Rob's feedback - various talk in hushed tones about the results this delivers, but my feeling is for a road car that it would be a lot of money spent, for limited gain. Once a car's suspension is reaching the last X%, then I think this mod comes more into play.

14. ekwong New Member

Did this project end up going anywhere/any results reported?

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 8, 2011
  15. JWYATT Forum Member

X2 !

Jo :thumbup:

16. foxyjay Forum Member

17. Porth New Member

Hey Guys,

I'm new to this forum! There are some really interesting threads here! I just want to show you the balljoint extender I have developed. The parts only exist in cad at the moment, but I'm planing to get them manufactured. The orange part is bolted to the wheel carrier on 2 points and the extension is 50mm + adjustable 20mm with a longer bolt an sleeves. So a variation of the the length is possible. The track rod is bolted below the orange part to get it parallel to the wishbone.
    With this configuration the brake disc can stay at the std. position. What do you think of it?
    [​IMG]

18. Porth New Member

Hey guys,

I really would like to get the parts manufactured. But it will be to expensive if I only order one part of each. So is any one interested in a "group buy"?

19. Squible Forum Member

Very interesting! I'm surprised I missed this first time round. How are you proposing to fix your 'extender' to the OE ball joint? Also what materials are you looking at?

20. thegave Forum Member

Yes I'd be interested but for a MK2 16v not VR6..