VR6 reliability

Discussion in 'VR5, VR6 & Wx' started by timah89, Apr 17, 2008.

1. timah89 Forum Member

Hi guys looking at buying a MK3 VR6 very soon. Need a bit of feedback on the reliability of it? Had mixed views so far. Just gotta convince my old boy that it is the right choice.

cheers

2. prof Forum Addict

very reliable if properly maintained. But the fuel usage will hurt you

3. andypaterson Forum Member

Mines never let me down, save for a few bits and pieces (there's always going to be something on any car!)

Mine's also going to be up for sale shortly ;)

4. timah89 Forum Member

Superb, not too bothered about the fuel, i can afford that if the car is reliable.

Andy, you have any pics of yours that you may be selling?? If so personal message me with the details and prices. cheers.

Any more feedback peeps? Need as much as poss to force me into the switch. What sort of prices should i be looking at and what year is the best to go for?

5. RIP-MK3 Forum Addict

what are you changing from an 8v MK3??

VR6's are pretty reliable from the people I know that have had them but if they do go wrong bits a a bit dearer than say a MK3 16v - but then parts for a mk3 16v are cheap I think so it doesn't make it expensive...

6. timah89 Forum Member

going from a 8v, thought bout the 16v but got the vr in my head now. As long as i find the right deal then i am more than happy to get one.

Just wanna get as much feedback before i run into it and splach the cash!

7. RIP-MK3 Forum Addict

well you are going to love it after an 8v - in the nicest possible way lol.

I have found the handling on the VR6's I have driven to be not that good, but Im sure it can be sorted out.

I wouldn't get a VR6 personally - prefer the driving characteristics of a 16v but thats down to personal preference etc... can't beat the noise of the VR though!!!

8. timah89 Forum Member

i'ce got all the uprated suspension to swap over from my dead 8v, so handling should improve big time through that, will alwqays be different cause of the weight difference hanging over the front wheels, sure i can learn the ways though, yeah can't wait for the noise, what are the performance differences between the vr and the valver?

9. Matt82

Matt82 Forum Addict

barely nothing. not enough to justify the extra fuel, but then you do get the noise

10. timah89 Forum Member

anyone got any true figures against the valver & VR?

11. RIP-MK3 Forum Addict

they drive differently.....

16v is obviously keener to rev and scream which makes it feel fast in that sense, where as a VR feels like more of a heavyweight and feels more powerful....

don't know how the gearing is different though... my valver shows 66 in second and 99 in 3rd (speedo speeds)

had a tussle on the motor-way with a standard VR and from 80 - 120 the VR would pull away big time but 120 onwards I would pull him in once I got in the right rev range in 5th, I find 4th a bit of a nothing gear in my valver

12. timah89 Forum Member

sounds liek maybe driver preference, can't fault the valver, don't think anyone can, but for some reason i can't get the idea of the VR out my head.

MK3valver - sounds like there is quite a niticeable difference between the 2, especially between 80 & 120, thanks for the input.

Just need some good advice now on price and the best year to go for, looking at on e on Saturday, N reg 1900. mint condition. Green. Is this good??

13. RIP-MK3 Forum Addict

well they all have 288 brakes - post 96/7 would have the facelift grill I suppose but thats nothing to really bother too much about I suppose.

If I was buying one for 1800 I would want it to be perfect - ie full service history, loads of history, sensible mileage and drive like a good un!!!!

specially as awesome valvers can be had for 1300!!! it has to be worth the extra I think...

14. timah89 Forum Member

cool i will keep that in mind when i check it out, was looking at knocking down a bit too. jst wanna get hold of one now?

Anyone know if the VR was ever done in white?

15. RIP-MK3 Forum Addict

there is one on ebay right now in white - was looking at it earlier lol don't know where it is though

16. timah89 Forum Member

i will check it out tonight, cheers mate!

17. suttonval Forum Member

Ill second that. Fourth gear in my valver may as well be removed from the equation. Its poo!

18. timah89 Forum Member

i will let you all know how it goes tomorow with the viewing, then hopefully within a few weeks i should be running the lil beast

Had a look at the white one on ebay, bit too old for what i was after, heard the early 90's ones suffered a few gliches!! that applies to the whole golf 3 range at that point, think they made a few changes to the model and a few issues arrised out of that. Ideally i am after 95 onwards. Spend upto 2k and get a minter!

19. Matt82

Matt82 Forum Addict

4th works well in mine from 70-75 upwards (obviously 3rd works better tho lol)

20. timah89 Forum Member

Quick question, i test drove a VR6 yesterday, very good model, mint condition in and out, couldn't believe it.

But, as me and my dad know nothing about the VR6 engine, we were unsure when we heard a slight wurring noise coming from the engine. Is this normal VR6 noise or could it be major??