VW Lupo?

Discussion in 'Audi/SEAT/Skoda Chat' started by ripskin, Dec 15, 2011.

1. ripskin Forum Member

Hello gents, I will be looking for a run around for me and for my wife to learn to drive in.
    At the moment she is starting to learn in my mk2 GTi but I will get her something more suitable and cheap so I thought, why not a lupo?

They appear to be pretty cheap for a hi gher milage one, say 70 -100000 miles for less than a grand with tax and mot.

I have never driven one and do not know anything about them, so could anyone with knowledge about these cars recommend them? or are they not good to buy?

Do they last? small engine, high mileage?
    Things to look for when buying one, problems areas, best model to go for?
    and what are the diesels like?

There appears to be an 8v and 16v version 1ltr to 1.6ltr petrol, but advise would be welcome, thanks!

2. Joesoap Forum Member

Great cars if serviced right
    Throttle bodys give the odd problem, inside door handles are a bit weak but cheap as chips to replace
    from vag apart from that their Great wee car
    Daughter has A 99 1000cc I got her
    Only thing I had to add was power steering from a 2000 polo wee buns to do.
    So if its for your wife make sure is has pas

Last edited: Dec 15, 2011
  3. ripskin Forum Member

Ok cool, like the sound of that. Any preference to engines? what sort of MPG would you expect?

4. Joesoap Forum Member

Yes get a GTI one then you can steal her car :thumbup:

5. jamesa Forum Junkie

The equivalent Seat Arosa may be cheaper ?

We ran (albeit from new) a 1.0l Arosa for several years and it was superb !

6. ripskin Forum Member

I have seen the arosa before, they are pretty cool too, same engines as the lupo?

I like the lupo though as it says "VW" on the front lol

7. ripskin Forum Member

lupo

thats true, but i do have a skyline for fun :thumbup:

8. aidanb22 Forum Member

My brother's wife has a GTI and absolutely loves it.
    She had a 1.4 16v before (think it was the 75bhp) and the engine went on that at around 45k miles, replacements were expensive and from looking around on various sites and speaking to people, this engine is the weak link in the range.
    Still have the 1.0 petrol, 1.4 TDI, 1.7 SDI available though

9. jamesa Forum Junkie

I believe so.

10. skint_golfer

skint_golfer Forum Member

we had a 1.7sdi from new, pretty sluggish off the line but would cruise at 80-90 happily enough. mpg was great, probably the best we've ever had!

i'd say go for the tdi or sdi over the petrol engines, what i'd be doing if i were in the market again.

11. Marty's Dub Forum Member

Bought my wife a '99 1.0ltr Arosa about 8 or 9 years ago with 45k mls on it to run about in. Since having another sibling I had to invest in a bigger car for her. We still have it and I've been using it as a daily for the past 2 years to do a 85 mile round trip every day. Thrives on RPM and cruises nice and economically at around 70mph. Apart from it being a little underpowered, it is cheap to tax, run and maintain. Easy to work on and parks in the smallest of spaces. Mine also runs on a set of 15" TSW's and has PAS which was fitted by the previous owner. It now has close to 150k mls on the clock and has recently been fitted with a new cambelt kit and waterpump which cost me E93. I have to rate it well as its been absolutely trouble free driving. It's one that doesen't owe me a cent!

12. jmsheahan CGTI Graphics Designer

GF has a 1.4 16v version that we share at the moment to run around in.

Pro's: Good little car and quite nippy for what it is. Perhaps a little sluggish off of the mark but once wound up it flies quite nicely. Interior is quite roomy if sat in the front. Do not know exact figures but MPG is really rather good. Height adjustable steering column and seat is a bonus (she's drives unbelievably close to the wheel, I like to kick back a bit). Absolute piece of p*ss to drive.

Cons: Gearboxes and pedal boxes are both known issues so do your homework on those and as already been said the electric windows are a PITA. Car only has 32k on the clock but the windows are definitely an electrical niggle and one side has packed up (think it's the regulator but have yet to investigate). Boot space is NON EXISTANT.

Overall though a great buy. Get a good one and they hold their value well - we looked for months before finding this one, they are quite sought after.

13. G60KG

G60KG Forum Member

I always wanted a Lupo and the GTIs look awsome. This thread will come in handy if I ever end up getting one.

14. vw_singh Events Team Paid Member

Just having bought a TDi Sport and we (me & the mrs) love it! It's fun to drive, has plenty of torque and has the basic modern comforts such as power steering, electric windows, central locking etc that don't always come with basic cars such as these. With the TDi, economy is excellent along with 30 road tax. However, they do come in at about the same price as a GTi which is an awesome little machine.

Gurds

15. tshirt2k

tshirt2k Forum Junkie

Can't say I've had a problem with my GTI in the 8 years Ive owned it. Quick, great handling, and roomy, even though I think I Look a bit big for it. They are rare too. Don't see many about. I may have to reluctantly downgrade to something bigger soon.

16. Collie Forum Junkie

my mates girlfirend has one and got it when she just passed about 4 years ago.

So far other than servicing only the drivers door lock has failed.

I love it, its only a 1.0 but it buzzes around well and makes me feel young when i drive it, reminds me of my early so called hot hatches.

17. ripskin Forum Member

Thats a good overall response! Music to my ears, I think I want the TDI but not sure if my budget allows, some great info here though well done chaps, I'm sold :p

Can't wait to get one for her, plus I can use it to save on fuel.

30 road tax?? for pre 2001 models?

18. vw_singh Events Team Paid Member

No the 30 tax is on post 2001 far as I know. Check Parkers.co.uk for a guide on tax costs.

Gurds

19. ripskin Forum Member

20. ripskin Forum Member

Well just an update, We bought a Seat Arosa 1.4 8v petrol in the end. We looked at 6 lupos for under 2000 and they were all faulty to some degree and very worn. arosa cost us 1800 for 1.4s 8v with 62000 miles and FSH but they only let down is that the cambelt has not been done and i'mpretty sure it should be done around 60'000 so that is a job I have to do now. VGC overall and nice colour, alloys and everything works.

Has anyone done a cambelt on these engines? Any help would help me alot :)
    If it is anything like a mk2 gti I should be ok......