VW Motorsport 16V Engine & Flywheel Spec

Discussion in '16-valve' started by Brookster, Feb 28, 2013.

Tags:
  1. Perra New Member

Sell that restricted inlet manifold to me and go get a bigger and better one for yourself!

2. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

The car this came from originally was a semi-works Group A car with a less powerful 16v engine than the full works cars. At the time - 1996 - Golf Kitcars did not exist.

Over time it has had its rebuilds, but the cast exhaust manifold and the non-homologated inlets show it is non-works / non-kitcar in origin.

The engine had come out of TSR as mentioned, but prior to then when it blew up, it had been in an engine shop up near Scotch Corner area.

Bargate of course was running this engine in his Scirocco at Inters this year and took a class win. All in all, gave me plenty to talk about on the mic!

Original assembly of the car is in the video here - and there is a mention of power outputs of that original engine from 1m 40s.

[video=youtube;GktE7O9cG0c]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GktE7O9cG0c[/video]

3. Brookster

Brookster Paid Member Paid Member

He recently had it mapped on the rollers and it gave 235bhp @ 7100rpm

Bargate has alway run 9A Engines before and says the power delivery on the ABF is alot different.

I've always run ABF's so i wouldn't be able to comment.

4. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

Btw, the power quoted on the video would be with a standard up-and-over plenum.

Obviously since then it has run outside Group A regs, so things have changed, so a nice increase there.

5. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

This was the car in 2006, so barring a rebuild or two, this is where it came from:

[​IMG]

6. Neal H Forum Member

Brooky, did Bargate say exactly how the delivery was different? Just curious thats all.

Cheers.

7. Brookster

Brookster Paid Member Paid Member

he said the 9A revs picked up alot quicker and smoother than the ABF.

his 9A did rev to 8500rpm , not sure what he has the limiter set at on the ABF