What camera + accessories do you use?

Discussion in 'Photography - general' started by Dub20vt, Aug 21, 2008.

1. Dub20vt Forum Member

well there seems to be quite a few people who are into photography on here so thought i'd start this off just so we have an insight into what each other uses...

to get the ball rolling..

i've just purchased a canon 400d with 18-55 kit lens.

and also just got a tamron 70-300 telephoto (obviously not the best but it'll do until my skills improve :lol:)

Last edited: Aug 21, 2008
  2. m47k Forum Member

3. stella

stella Forum Junkie

Nikon D70 plus kit lens, plus macro lens and 80-200 zoom. Both the latter are Nikkon, but bottom of the range.

Plan on buying myself a decent lens shortly, when I've made up my mind what I want.

Might also, if I get a decent new job, treat myself to a Nikon D300. Hoping the price will drop soon. (1300 RRP, about 900 really.)

4. velly_16v_cab

velly_16v_cab Forum Junkie

I have a Nikon D40 with the twin kit lense 17-55mm and 55-200 VR

i fancy a D200 or D300 but i dont think my manual skills are fully up to it yet

5. vrbanana Forum Junkie

Canon 350D with various lenses including a EF400 for the track day stuff, looking to upgrade the camera

6. StuMc

StuMc Moderator and Regional Host - Manchester Moderator

I`m currently using a Fuji S5500;

[​IMG]

No scope for using better lenses, but you can get wide-angle adaptors and various filter/effect kits.

It only cost me 70 from Cash Convertors, but I really want a `proper` DSLR and a selection of lenses. I`m thinking Nikon or Canon will probably be the best for my needs/budget.

7. stella

stella Forum Junkie

Cripes, Stu!

With the quality of your track pictures yesterday, there's not hope for the rest of us once you get a decent SLR!

:lol:

8. vwgolfgtinut

vwgolfgtinut Forum Member

I use a fuji s6500 again no 'scope' (get it!) for new lenses but as StuMc says theres filter kits and wide angle attatchments available for it. Only downside is the bugger munches through batteries, went through 12 at VW Fest, saying that i did come home with over 600 photos. Good value camera and only just below the standard of DSLR think tehyre classed as a bridging camera

9. N/B

N/B Forum Member

Panasonic Lumix LX-1 for everyday stuff.
    Canon Canonet GIII QL17 Rangefinder (late '70s) or Contax G2 for personal / docu stuff.
    Canon EOS-5D + Canon Prime Lenses for small jobs.
    Hasselblad 503CXi + Carl Zeiss Prime Lenses + PhaseOne Digital Back for big jobs.

Last edited: Aug 22, 2008
  10. Hypermonkey Forum Member

I got a really good deal of fleabay for my kit. Got a Nikon D70 with Nikon lenses (17-55 and 70-300) with 2x 1G cards, a spare battery all in original boxes for 340. I then got the cleaning stuff which was expensive (arctic butterfly, swabs and fluid was 120) but if you go to get the sensor cleaned they will charge you 30-50 so as I'll get unlimited basic cleans and 16 fluid cleans it was a no brainer really.
    I also got a Tamrac bag that gets everything in and a mono and tripod as when using the zoom things can get wobbly:lol: .

To get to know the camera I went on a DSLR basics course (50) for the day but this was the best money I spent as went through everything to familiarise you with the kit.

Took these on my first outing at Silverstone.....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

and then got Photshop elements 6 from Amazon (25 delivered for genuine disc and serial code only) and did some effects which I learnt through tutorials on the net;)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. StuMc

StuMc Moderator and Regional Host - Manchester Moderator

I`m no expert, just an enthusiatic amauter...[:$]

If you practice and get to know your camera and it`s functions, it will make a massive difference to the quality of your pictures.

But, yes, just wait till I`ve got a proper camera...;) :lol:

You want to try some Energiser rechargeables or the new Lithium ones.

I can easily take 2000-3000 pics on each.

12. vwgolfgtinut

vwgolfgtinut Forum Member

is that on max photo settings? ive only got a 2GB xd card in and only get 680 photos on the top setting. Only really use that for show days though so i get the best pics available to me. maybe thats why i go through the batteries so quick, well that and the other half leaving the feckin thing turned on when she's been snapping

13. dUff

dUff Administrator Admin

I am still using a old FujiFilm S602 Pro that i bought new years and years ago 3mega pixel !! , keep thinking about getting a newer camera D300 with a 300mm lense woud do the job, still have a Nikon 35mm setup but never use that anymore

I uses a Fuji telephoto lense and a Jessops fish eye lense with various adaptors

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

14. sparrow Paid Member Paid Member

Nikon D70 with (mostly) Sigma 70-200mm F2.8 lense. Also have 2x converter which can make it a 140 - 400mm f5.6 lense.

15. stella

stella Forum Junkie

Sparrow - I was thinking about getting a Sigma, to save on cost, and that's a lot faster than my Nikkor lens.

How do you find it? Good?

16. Dub20vt Forum Member

as stumc said get some decent rechargables.

i used to have a s6500 and used 2500mah AA rechargables (about 10 a set in supermarkets)... they'll easily last over 600 pics.

17. dUff

dUff Administrator Admin

Best batterys i have recently bought is a set of 2.99 AA 2300mah at Aldi , Bought them on the off chance and now switched to 3 sets . Way better than 10 ones i had recently bought

18. N/B

N/B Forum Member

Nice, you're clearly loving shooting motorsport.
    In addition to your 'wet' cleaning kit (which really is a last resort), you should pick up a Giottos Rocket brushless air blower.
    As used by about 90% of the working pros I know, every other time you change a lens it's worth setting the camera to 'Sensor Clean', locking the mirror up and giving the mirror box a few sharp blasts.
    Do not, ever, used canned air.
    Using one of these has ensured that my 5D (I shoot about 12-20GB a week on it) hasn't needed a 'wet' clean in over 12 months.

[​IMG]

19. Dub20vt Forum Member

thanks for the tip. think i best get me one of those! :)

20. gillm

gillm ***** User

dude i strongly suggest you get back to work soon . that new bloke is not nice