What could be done to improve performance on mk1 gti?

Discussion in '8-valve' started by Dub 6N2, Nov 6, 2011.

1. Dub 6N2 Forum Member

Malta (little island in the Mediterenian)
    Hi I have just bought a golf mk1 GTI and I have a couple of questions to ask please. Sorry if they might be stupid but I am no expert [:[]

So the engine is a 1.8 8v, has some mods to it like twin weber 42s, fast road cam, vernier pulley and 4-1 manifold.

-The engine code is GX whilst I thought that the europeans came with a DX engine...what type of engine is the GX then and where is it usually used?

-What other types of mods can I make to better improve the engine performance that wouldn't break the bank?

Where is the temperature sensor located on the engine because the temp gauge is not working?

[​IMG]

2. Dub 6N2 Forum Member

one more thing please :)

this is my cam spec sheet, can anyone tell me what the duration for the inlet and exhaust are please

[​IMG]

3. Bundles Forum Junkie

GX engine code is the 90bhp carb engine out of a 1.8 driver or scirocco scala etc, has a lower compression ratio and only 38mm inlet valves instead of the GTis 40mm if i remember correctly. [:^(]

So, simple way to get more go is to put a proper GTi engine in it. :)

4. skoda4x4 Forum Member

20v turbo is the way to go

5. Dub 6N2 Forum Member

thanks for the reply Bundles, if the GX used carb then the previous owner must have changed the head because it still has the injectors in it though it's using webers...these are photos of the block and head codes...

HEAD
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

BLOCK
    [​IMG]

@skoda4x4 ... yeah sure, when I get my full time job maybe :p

6. mitlom

mitlom Forum Member

Hi, with respect to your temp gauge not working I am assuming you are talking about water temp? If so then from your photo I would guess this is because it is not connected as the water temp sender can be seen right at the bottom of your pic on the water outlet from the cylinder head. It is the bottom most sensor in your picture. The one above it with two pins is the thermo time switch used as part of the K jet fuel injection system (now redundant)

7. Dub 6N2 Forum Member

Ahh great thanks for the reply mate, been wondering what that sender is! So how can the wire be connected to the rounded "head" of the sensor please?

8. mitlom

mitlom Forum Member

You need to use an un-insulated female spade terminal that slides over the round terminal...let me know if you don't understand the explanation and I or somebody else will post a pic to explain (I can't at the moment as I am having some issues with my photobucket acct)

9. Dub 6N2 Forum Member

Ace!! :clap: thanks very much...the wire was actually there ready with the terminal but I never thought that it was that simple hehe. Connected it but will try it tomorrow.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2011
  10. Mike_H Forum Addict

I think the 1.6 is lower compression, but the 1.8 is 10:1, same as a GTI.

I'd put a 16v in it, if you want more power and want to keep using carbs.

11. Dub 6N2 Forum Member

I read somewhere that fitting a 2.0l 8v block would make a better improvement than changing the head. Don't know if it's true...

12. mr hillclimber Club GTI Supporter and Sponsor

In simple terms...no it's not.

A bigger capacity engine will help at its best in the low to mid range, with the top end improvement the least effective unless you improve the ability to fill the bigger lungs...i.e a ported head.

You maybe lucky in that as the engine is fitted with a gti head already it may well be ported. A good tune/set up with what you have may give sufficient improvement, then it depends on what you want from the engine.

13. Dub 6N2 Forum Member

Hmm maybe having twin webers and a gti head (presumingly as it still has the injectors in it) will allow for good air flow. I will have a mechanic have a look at whether the head is ported or not so I know from where I can move on. If so which 2.0l bottom end will fit with the least problems?

14. Tristan

Tristan Paid Member Paid Member

the 1.8 GTI is indeed a DX , the GX is poissibly a carb'd engine? Your head is deffo a 1.8 anyway , looking at the water outlet.

15. mitlom

mitlom Forum Member

Any joy mate?

16. Carbs4ever Forum Member

isn't the GX a 1500 block carbed- came in five door all chrome window trims etc - like a delux version

17. Dub 6N2 Forum Member

just went for a ride with it. works wonders :thumbup: thanks loads

GX is the engine code in this case not a trim level. It is a 1.8 for sure as I found it somewhere else as well

18. Carbs4ever Forum Member

ahh right! sorry didn't read that line properly where you referred to block code!

Most likely out of a mk2 golf or 1800 mk3 possibly and carbed to save the hassle of single point injection conversion...

just got this from wikipedia

as follows:

1.8 R4 55-76kW
    identification parts code prefix: ???, ID codes: HT, RD, RV, PB, GZ, GX, PF, FP, ABS, ADZ, ACC

engine displacement & engine configuration 1,781 cubic centimetres (108.7 cu in) inline-four engine (R4/I4); bore x stroke: 81.0 by 86.4 millimetres (3.19 in 3.40 in), stroke ratio: 0.94:1 - undersquare/long-stroke, 445.2 cc per cylinder,

compression ratio: 8.5-10.8:1 cylinder block & crankcase grey cast iron; five main bearings, die-forged steel crankshaft cylinder head & valvetrain cast aluminium alloy; two valves per cylinder, 8 valves total, single overhead camshaft (SOHC)

fuel system & engine management Bosch CIS continuous single-point fuel injection system, with or without knock control and electronic timing advance multi-point electronic indirect fuel injection with four intake manifold-sited fuel injectors; Magneti Marelli, Bosch Motronic or Digifant electronic injection Total Flex, Gasoline or Ethanol (BR)

DIN-rated motive power & torque outputs, ID codes, applications 55 kilowatts (75 PS; 74 bhp) @ 5,000 rpm; 140 newton metres (103 ftlbf) @ 2,500 rpm — AAM, ANN (discontinued) 66 kilowatts (90 PS; 89 bhp) @ 5,200 rpm; 142 newton metres (105 ftlbf) @ 3,000 rpm — RP (discontinued) 66 kilowatts (90 PS; 89 bhp) @ 5,500 rpm; 145 newton metres (107 ftlbf) @ 2,500 rpm — ABS, ADZ, ANP: VW Gol, VW Golf Mk3, VW Pointer, SEAT Ibiza Mk2 72 kilowatts (98 PS; 97 bhp) @ 5,400 rpm; 143 newton metres (105 ftlbf) @ 3,000 rpm — 1P (discontinued) 76 kilowatts (103 PS; 102 bhp) @ 5,400 rpm; 155 newton metres (114 ftlbf) @ 3,000 rpm —
    VW Gol, Volkswagen Santana, VW Golf Mk1, VW Golf Mk2, VW Saveiro applications Audi 80, Audi 100, SEAT Ibiza Mk2, SEAT Crdoba Mk1, SEAT Toledo Mk1, Volkswagen Golf Mk2, Volkswagen Golf Mk3, Volkswagen Golf Mk3 Cabriolet, Volkswagen Golf Mk3 Variant, Volkswagen Vento, Volkswagen Jetta Mk2, Volkswagen Jetta Mk3, Volkswagen Passat B2, Volkswagen Passat B3, Volkswagen Passat B4

19. Dub 6N2 Forum Member

hehe no worries mate :p Yeah unfortunately the block is not from a GTI :/ but at least it has a GTI head. to say the truth I do not have any idea where he got the block for and why the change...

20. Dub 6N2 Forum Member

ahhh thanks loads mate :) seriously 300s? doesn't sound that rough to be honest...