What do love about your Mk2?

Discussion in 'Mk2' started by jonk710, Mar 1, 2011.

1. shaz8389

shaz8389 Forum Junkie

It's the complete package, practical enough to be used every day and fun enough to be used at weekends.

In 10 years time they'll probably be holding true classic value. I'll still be driving one every day.

2. Gaddmeister Forum Member

Opening the curtains and seeing the sun shining.
    Opening the garage does and smiling
    Opening the door and met with the smell
    Turning the key and hearing the 16v fire into life
    Pulling out of the street and driving to the nearest dual carriage way whilst it warms up
    Planting your foot on the gas pedal and all hell breaks loose!
    What more can I say!:)

3. Zaphod

Zaphod Forum Member

I like the 'common' mars red although there are far more 'rare' Oak green ones. The fact I get asked why I have put a meaningless private plate on an old golf (its the original.. seems few know the Mk2 was introduced in 1984). I like the fact it's cost me very little to return to standard. I like at the end it will be worth what has been put in (more by luck than any other reason). I like its simplicity and lack of NCAP crap, enabling it to avoid the accident in the first place. I like its abilty as a time machine, FGTH,TFF, OMD on the cassette and you are in 80's.

Oh being able to drive it places would be nice, but that will come

4. 747heavy New Member

I love how when I get in the car, before I've even started it, I sit there and think once these cars have gone that's it.
    Then it always starts, never lets me down (exept once on the way to Gatwick, missed a flight but that wasn't even the cars fault), and always stops.
    It's like a faithful old dog, you know there are probably quicker, younger more well behaved animals around but this dog is yours and that's all that counts.

8 years owned and still going strong.

5. bendevo123 Forum Member

i have 2 rides: the mrs
    or my wonderful golf

i think my more doorerer wins all the time!!!

just golf until you hit the end of land!! when you get there turn around and golf somewhere else........... but dont golf home just keep golfing!!!!!

6. tinydubs

tinydubs Forum Member

The comments of "you should get a real car" by posers in aviators with a dumb blonde sat next to them.

Followed by a lesson in emergency starts, copius amouts of tyre smoke and said aviator dissapearing in the rear view

I hope the understated golf will be dishing out many more lessons for years to come

7. yrmk2 Forum Member

got my 15th mk2 last suterday....its a 1.6 gtd and it feels just as its suposed to feel...just right!

8. MARRKUSZ Forum Member

hey.
    i love the mk2 golf the most always have since i was about 5years old when my dad got his lol

ive had 4 an now just got my 5th lol witch is in the garage striped waitin for the mk3 vr6 i got to be striped .

im 23 an my first car was a mk2 golf kjet gti when i was 18 ive her to bits but the car had rote an couldnt fix it at the time to had to scrap her :( then my dad fot me a 89 digi gti
    paid 2000 for her only had 2 owners and done 78000k
    i lower her 60mm
    full s&s system
    421 maini
    285 piper cam
    induction kit
    roar pipe
    star chip
    and some old skool mk1 clipper alloys.

i got her from 112bhp to an outstandin 148.9 bhp
    at gti inter 2009
    i was well impressed lol
    use to keep up with the valvers lol
    had her maxed out at 142mph lol
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

anyway all good things come to an end when i was being a **** and hit 2 brick walls at 60mph...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

now i have a mk2 16v compleatley standerd had a full engine rebuld
    and my beloved mk2 2.0 8v convertion runing twin 40s an will being putin a mk4 crossflow head on in the next cuple weeks :p

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

you cant beat a mk2 golf ile always say if you anit dove a mk2 golf then you anit drove a proper hot hatch yet.
    easy to mod and just looks mean.

MK2 FTW!! XD

9. Jommanjo Forum Member

1. The looks. Love a widetrack bigbumper on quad lamps.
    2. The looks. Love a small bumper original.
    3. Slinging a firmly-sprung Mk2 down a fave road.
    4. The PAS - still a great feeling system.
    5. Having cars on trackdays pull out to overtake you on the straight - then pull back in as you extend away... (child :lol:)
    6. Working on them and getting modern parts to fit - improvability!! Satisfying.

:thumbup:

10. LregG

LregG Paid Member Paid Member

How many cars can you maintain for such little amount of money that get respect from nippers down the local cruise all the way up to valet parking staff at a posh hotel?

11. jonk710

jonk710 Forum Member

I love the fact that mine will be out of hibernation at the end of the month and when the battery is connected it will start first time and will purr away just waiting to be driven.
    I love the fact that new rims will be fitted in April and it'll look even better than it already does - is that possible??

12. Sprockutt New Member

I love mine because it's still doing today what it was designed to do 22 years ago. The GTI was designed and built to provide practical family transport that would also provide a bit of fun as and when required.
    I own a five door low mileage car that was bought from the original owner two years ago. I haven't used it over the winter since owning it and only added about 3k miles. However it is now our only form of family transport as we have just traded in our main car against a new Skoda Yeti. This won't be arriving until around May so in the meantime the GTI is our everyday car.

So after 22 years it still more than keeps up with modern traffic, is very reliable, returns modern mpg figures, has PAS, fuel injection, trip computer, central locking, disc brakes all round, cheap to insure, offers family practicality and is fun to drive. What other 20 odd year old cars can offer this package? It is pretty much the only 'practical' classic I would trust to be our only form of family transport for the next few months....and many years to come!

Last edited: Mar 10, 2011
  13. Love the fact its not a Ford !! and that 90% of them still have the same metal they roll off the factory in..

14. As much as I love my mk2- not sure about everyone giving them respect. Mine is a reasonably tidy example but pretty sure most of the people I know only think i drive it as perhaps "its all he can afford" or hes not bothered about having a "smart modern car".

Part of their appeal to me is that they are a bit of a cult car and not everyone knows about them or apprecaites them. Always nice to get the nod off a fellow Mk2'er when you pass on the roads!:thumbup:

Cheers

D

15. shaz8389

shaz8389 Forum Junkie

At work I'm known for my GTi, despite it being one of two Mk2s in our car park mine's the one people know because I love it.

Also won best car at the Christmas party awards! Only one person at work has a car that's genuinly quicker too despite a car park of modern metal.

The options you can get with them are plentiful too, was making fun of my bosses new Audi because it's only option that I didn't have was air con, leccy windows, mirrors, leather seats (of the RECARO variety of course) and a bunch of other stuff.

It's my favourite little hooligan, the little blue b*tch ticks all the boxes for me.

16. mk2abf Forum Member

the flames out the exhaust on over run dose it for me :thumbup:

17. JustKatee New Member

[​IMG]

Looking for something very similar? I'd LOVE to see a Mk2 with a wide bodykit on it!

18. Daytripper76 Forum Member

Just love the fact its a mk2, enough said really! [8D]

19. I love the fact ive only seen 1 other Oak Green Gti in the last couple of years !:)

20. MrP

MrP Paid Member Paid Member

I love the fact when I'm washing the GTi, it makes admiring passers by walk into lamp posts. :lol: