Wheels opinion...

Discussion in 'Styling, Trim and Bodywork' started by inloop, Mar 2, 2004.

1. Dave-in-Herts Forum Member

Definatly go with those, they look fantastic with the split rim effect, ACE are making some great wheels at the moment. Then again I'm biased ;)

[​IMG]

2. madmonkey Forum Addict

I've got a mate with a MR2 with those on, fully maxed up so hope you don't mind if I don't like them on a dub. [:$] :)

3. inloop New Member

Definitely look good on a MK 3, kinda similar to BBS RC???

4. Higgim Forum Member

Inloop do you have a pic of the car with the Steffan wheels on it? I like Steffan wheels. :)

5. Mikedav Forum Member

What kind of logic is that? Its not a pi$$ing contest. Car styling should be about improving the aesthetics of your car, making it look better - and when it comes to wheels, size is as important as the design in making it look right.

If you are comparing t other VWs, take it in context - 18"s are perfect for the MKIV because the wheel arches are the size of Wales - I mean HUGE. People put 19"s on there with a 50mm drop and no arch mods, easy - but thats too big if you ask me. Just like 17"s on a Golf, it makes it look like one of those Fast Car charactures. (sp).

If you are comparing to Corsa/Saxo Nova boys what you forget is they have no taste or style. Yup, they fit 20"s to a Corsa - and it looks and drives like $hite.

IMO Id go 16"s, and I wish I had a MK2 for that reason because they are stupidly cheap, tyres are cheap, and it looks good. BBS CHs in 18" Will cost me 1,300.... :(. Your choice of course, but don't compare your MK2 to Max Power land

Edited by: Mikedav

6. inloop New Member

Ease up fella! [:D] It's not a pi$$ing contest it was a valid point from
    someone new to Golfs! I am just of the opinion that smaller wheels
    look bad - it's an opinion that's all. I just wondered why larger
    wheels are appearing pretty much accross the board but maybe I
    should have been more specific re: MK2 Golfs not Golfs in general.

I disagree with a couple of your points though, when it comes to
    wheels it isn't just about the styling because there is the handling to
    take into account as everyone has made me aware of.

Also, I think 17s on a MK2 aren't too big, but again it's an opinion. I
    do agree with the 19s being too big on a MKIV though.

I do agree with your last point though, 16s may well be a wiser
    choice not because of aesthetics though but because of the points
    raised by Higgim. The only problem is finding a wheel that I am
    happy with in a 16".

Please don't associate me in any way with Max Power, Corsas, Saxos
    or Golfs though. This causes a serious rash which can only be
    resolved by rubbing myself against a VW. And you don't need to fit
    20s to a Corsa to make it look and drive like $hite, Vauxhall did a
    good job of that out the factory.

Anyone got any good 16" suggestions? I don't want Euro look, I like
    either simple 5 spokes or TSW Hock/BBS RC type wheels but they
    have to look good in 16!

7. Mk2GolfBoy Forum Member

Id say definately go with 16's and goto http://www.venommotorsport.com for some wheel inspiration. IMO go for some nice BBS alloys or if you want a really good look get some Porche alloys with adaptors and you have one sexy car then. In general styling VW's I would say is not so much about how much you can get on a car but more the reductionist smooth look. It's keeping the look simple without massive spoilers and everything like that, but just subtle ;)
    Even if your not going to get 17's maybe get your arches rolled (looks nice) or get 90 spec arches to accomodate those sexy 16's :p Also unless you have driven a MK2 on 17's you may not think they are too big. Many people here have and it looks pretty but isn't a great ride. I know your new to Golfs but the people here are friendly and knowledgable so when you get loads of people telling you something is not a good idea it's from experience not a whim. The advice people give is not to put you off it's to stop you making mistakes which we may have made and can be expensive [:^(] So listen carefully to the wisdom of V dubber's. And even though we don't have massive alloys you might notice if you look around that the VW shooting off infront leaving the car behind is because it doesn't have massive alloys weighing it down ;)
    Edited by: Mk2GolfBoy

8. TpkGTI New Member

They'd look great. My GTI (Mk4??) came with 16's as standard and 17's as an option. I got the 17's and the car looks great. Ride is a LITTLE stiffer, (than the car I test drove with 16's.) But it's a tiny difference. The improved cornering, and the way the car looks with the 17's make it worth it---for me anyway.

9. Jeff Forum Junkie

its horses for courses. 13s look huge on an original mini, but too small on a mk2 golf. 17s look huge on a mk2 golf (just about look like they are meant to be there, but a little too "mine are bigger than yours" for my tastes). On a mk4 17s look about right, maybe even a size too small. Totally depends on the size of the car they are on!

10. TpkGTI New Member

So, Am I crazy for wanting 18's on my GTI? Will it look like "mine's bigger en yours?" if I get 18's on BBS rims???

11. Jeff Forum Junkie

;) did you read my post? I said, depends on the car! mk4s are big cars, 18s work on them. Of course its all my opinion, some people would have you believe 20" rims look good on a corsa, but personally I think they are just trying to go one better and say "look my wheels are bigger than anyone elses on a corsa, I am better than all of them" :lol:

12. Mikedav Forum Member

LOL sorry wasnt meant that way - point I was trying to make is bigger is not always better, which is what the Max Power kids seem to think. I was talking to an R32 owner with 19 BBS Chs the other day - which acutally looks alright -but he said he has major problems with tram lining, so bigger can have a detrimental effect on handling.

For 16"s I think the wheel you posted in your very first post is PERFECT - I like it a lot. In 18" it would suit mine, in 16", a MK2.

As you ae prob thinking bout a MK4, no.

13. TpkGTI New Member

Golf Mk IV = a US GTI 1.8T?

14. inloop New Member

Those Proshe alloys then, where can you pick them up from?

15. Mikedav Forum Member

A 'US GTI 1.8T' is a Golf GTI 1.8T in every other country on earth but America. So yeah. MK4 corresponds to the 4th generation Golf, car under discussion is a MK2 - second generation.
    Edited by: Mikedav

16. Riley

Riley Forum Addict

9x16's anybody?
    best size for mk2 imo.
    sorry no euro look,ill get ma coat :lol:

17. G60 VV Forum Member

I just had the same dilemma, I was going to go for a set of the RS4's 17" for my motor, but after seeking advice from some fellow dubbers discovered as you have the they would compromise my handling, braking and overall feel performance of the car, plus i'd have to get my arches rolled = 50 a corner with a high risk of damaging my paintwork [:x] I also had my eye on these which are available from 15" like Smithy has, to 18", I opted for the 16" set but have yet to fit them due to this crap weather we've had.

[​IMG]]here[/URL]

18. W3LSH Forum Member

nice! :clap: chose what size you want, they will be going on Your car.. [:D]

19. inloop New Member

OK OK I know some people don't think 17s should go on, so this is a
    question for the pro-17 brigade.. I did a little Photoshop work and
    it's not perfect but what do we think of these wheels I have
    superinposed...

[​IMG]

20. Mike20VT New Member

Have to say that I love both the ACE sets, and the Rial Vipers also look good (seen them in 18's on a Mk4 - lush!)

Very tempting, but have had 17's on my last mk3 16v - looks a nice size, but driveability was not as good as when it was standard on the 15's..... but sometimes it's not all about driveability - sometimes it is just about the looks ;)