When might the Mk3 "come of age"?

Discussion in 'Mk3' started by theboymike, Feb 11, 2011.

1. 2dubnick Forum Junkie

I rip on Mk3's alot but I do rate them in the chassis engine department and my Mk2 is really a Mk3 apart from the body and when done nicely they can look just about Ok if you squint and have conjunctivitis. Still cant see them every getting cult status due to the round styling being what we still see today with car design but the boxy shape of Mk1s, Mk2s and E30's are desirably retro.

2. giles_anniversary

giles_anniversary Forum Member

3. Tam Nyakobyashi Forum Member

I have been looking at that car for years on ebay asking myself 'is this guy serious?' I mean he must have spent hundreds of pounds keeping it listed on there for so long.

4. Jaundice

Jaundice Forum Member

Yeah but its got pink coolant so probably worth the 7k price tag:lol:

5. Rayhoop Paid Member Paid Member

I think he is just waiting for the right buyer... ;)
    Dennis, where did you get the side stripes from?

The mk3 is not a bad car, I just think us enthusiasts have to overcome the stigma that was attached to them early on due to the lack lustre 8v gti.

6. Dennis10

Dennis10 Forum Member

PM answered Rayhoop!

But for anyone else, they were a find on ebay after searching through many pages of car decals (about 20 and then a few hours to size them up and fit etc!) I like the look, Gold wheels soon too hopefully!

7. Matt82

Matt82 Forum Addict

the mk3 was a lame duck from the showroom due to
    A) extra weight, which combined with
    B) comparatively strangled 16v and total lame duck 8v, combined with
    C) freakishly underdamped in the name of comfort, they were already trying to change the GTI market to suit gayers who wanted to look like they drove a hot hatch (a GTI) rather than actually own one

GTI had become something trendy. People wanted a GTI because it was a GTI (see mk4) rather than because it would go down a b-road like a stabbed rat.

With the right mods you can turn it back into a GTI again, kinda like overclocking a CPU and unlocking all the special features [:D]

8. shaz8389

shaz8389 Forum Junkie

I think it'll take a while because compare it to what came before and you just don't have the "fun factor" that previous models had. Once we hold monopoly on all Mk2s and there's only MK3s to choose form people will accept it.

9. StuMc

StuMc Moderator and Regional Host - Manchester Moderator

I always said I would never own a Mk3, but when my TDI came up at the faintly ridiculous sum of 300 (and I needed a car ASAP) I dipped my toe and, TBH, I wasn`t dissapointed.

Much more comfortable/solid feeling for daily use than a Mk2, and the looks have slowly grown on me.

With a few tweaks it handles well enough, and tramps up and down the motorway with ease. I`d definately have another.

10. Ess Three Forum Member

I've always liked the Mk3 shape...my fave of all the Golfs.
    If ever I see my Mk3 parked on the driveway when coming back to the house, I still admire the shape...but maybe I'm just odd.

They can be picked up for peanuts...but no amount of money would have me sell my 16v Anniversary.
    It's a keeper, for sure.

11. Matt82

Matt82 Forum Addict

yeah. my mk3 is staying forever. since sorting the cat (no more scary noises, dead bottom end esq) and the new lambda, the engine responds fantastically, feels bulletproof and its a belter.

227k miles and still no sign of giving up

12. Jagermeister

Jagermeister Forum Member

The Mk2 was a great drive, I once had to drive a nearly new one for a fortnight & did 2k miles, but when it comes to creature comfort the Mk3 wins hands down.

13. OsteKuste Forum Member

I found this seven years ago while shopping for a mk1 or 2. I've posted a few pics in another thread but wanted to add my 2p here. I now have pretty much a mk2 with a mk3 chassis. Stiffened suspension and body, no posh power windows, seats or other electric boat anchors, and a little bit of retro styling. I wouldn't trade this car for any other. (I'd just have to have a bigger garage!):p
    [​IMG][​IMG]

14. maxmo

maxmo Forum Member

Thats good ^^^.
    I never noticed the black grille 'block' on your previous photos giving a mk2 update feel.

15. OsteKuste Forum Member

That's a new detail. I also recently blacked out the side mouldings using Rustoleum truck bedliner spray. It gives a texture I like and lasts years. It's kind of rubbery so it won't chip off like paint.

16. vee_dub_modder Forum Member

awesome thread [:D]

17. Destroyer Forum Member

Unfortunately too many Mk3s are being neglected by owners and I think it's becoming a real challenge to find a used one which hasn't been modified or damaged in some form or another. I'm after a VR6 to add to my collection and I've only found a handful in 4 years on/off looking on ebay/autotrader which I am really happy with. Lots of technology started out on the Mk3.

Rusty doors are caused by people never cleaning them.

The rust on the wings can be nasty but again caused by infrequent washing (and not enough water going down the raintray to wash out the crap behind the arch liner).

I love my Mk3s :)

18. marmite monster Forum Member

i got a mk3 vr6 the other day to use while my e46 330d is being fixed and to be honest i love it. it cost me 650! thinking of ditching the bm and jus enjoying some cheap ish motoring for a while.
    it has 4 doors a blue dash and blue cloth seats but i just dont care!! had 16 mk2 golfs and always regarded the mk3 as a pile of poop.even coming round to how it looks!! set of 16" bbs rs and it will be a winner for sure :)

took it to cadwell to break it in ! :)

[​IMG]

19. Matt82

Matt82 Forum Addict

i have let mine get very tatty. it hasnt been washed since Le Mans 2009.

new set of injectors, newer fuel pump plus some other bits and it runs lovely again.

im ditching the hella twin headlights, going back to a set of tweaked OEs

clearing out years worth of rubbish from the interior. im going to get my mk3 sorted out again

20. Jagermeister

Jagermeister Forum Member

Got them on mine, I just love the cross hairs on the high beams.

can't think why you would go back to standard?

Last edited: Feb 28, 2011