which cam

Discussion in '8-valve' started by JIMMY GTI, Aug 22, 2008.

1. odub Forum Member

sorry to hijack but roughly how much would a rr setup cost with a remap?

2. paultownsend Forum Member

think stealth quoted me anything upwards of 350!

you know what, im not sure if a chip is really needed. i have no fueling issues. i think you have to spend serious money on an 8v to get to this stage.
    proper head, matched manifolds, split duration cam, decent manifold and exhaust system. and then id be thinking ms management

then if you do decide to do something else..... new map for the chip. digifant is reliable enough. maybe a new (g60) fpr to suit

3. drunkenalan Paid Member Paid Member

have you ever checked your fuelling?? All std digi's lean out towards the top end of the revs, so increase the capacity by just over 10% and that extra air needs more fuel, dont get me wrong, i did the same and never had any problems, when increased the fuel pressure there was a difference in performance, Rubjonny has some slightly larger injectors to approach it way from the other side.

4. paultownsend Forum Member

drunkenalan, how did you up your fuel pressure? through a new fpr or map?

iv looked into a 3.5 bar g60 unit. and a 'special' dr schrick split durantion cam 168/272.
    g-werks are getting back to me this morning. id like more power yes, but the piper 276 duration lost too much low down drivability for me

5. paultownsend Forum Member

ps jimmy this is my spec-

40/35 'vagobonds' head
    newman 268- looking to change
    matched inlet/exhaust manifolds
    2.0 agg
    'hotgolf' fly
    milltek manifold back system

this spec made at midland vw with only ignition timing adjustment-

134hp@5712rpm
    144.6 lbf.ft@4515

6. JIMMY GTI Forum Member

what sort of 0-60 times n top ends are we looking at with your spec matey? not too fussed about top end really, 0-100 is more important aint it

7. paultownsend Forum Member

hmm, iv not timed it. it drives well. thats all i know. pulls well to over 100. i get scared after that :lol:

i had a play with exhausts this week. i put an oe brand new 8v vw system back on to reduce noise. it was so restrictive, didnt like to rev and it struggled in 4th to pull to 100. put my milltek back on today and it now pulls hard to over 100 in 4th. then i slow down!

theres just so many factors on these 8v's. id sit down, draw up what you want to end up with.

this is something thats said alot on here. to let a 2.0 8v breath properly, you have to use bigger 35mm ex valves in the head. and it gets expensive then.

8. JIMMY GTI Forum Member

just received the 4 branch today, looks mint, ill get pics up asap. had few probs with head though, checked it out and the water jackets were well corrded, nearly through the ring on head gasket where its meant to seal. sent it off to our parts sullier/machinist, 3 hours later it was back, refurbed and skimmed for a nice sum of 47 notes [:D]
    got valves lapped in and opened exhaust ports a wee bit and cleaned it all up. painted it, get valves back in tomorrow and cam etc. almost ready for head on, timed up and ready to roll....happy days so far lol

9. mk2vivs Forum Member

whats people's experiences in terms of the idle with a kent gs2h cam fitted?

10. drunkenalan Paid Member Paid Member

its a pussy cat!

11. mk2vivs Forum Member

haha!it was just fitted in the engine when i bought it.seems the idle is a little lumpy but nothing major

12. riffy99 Forum Member

Thread hijack..sorry..
    Currently we have a Kent GS2H and we're thinking of a slightly more aggressive cam. We're thinking or a newman 276 or 296. Any thoughts? Would the 276 be worth it? and would the 296 be too much?

13. drunkenalan Paid Member Paid Member

is the 296 a hydraulic profile, what is the lift?

GS2H to 276 isnt a big jump TBH what about the TSR 203 thats a 282, im sure that what chrismc' 8v used to have, that made 155bhp

14. riffy99 Forum Member

It is hydraulic, lift is quoted as 12.44/12.39

276 doesn't sound worth it really. The TSR203 could be the way forward. Would like a cheap second hand really ;)

15. JIMMY GTI Forum Member

my engine nearly built up ready to drop in some time in next month hopefully, well happy so far![:D]
    [​IMG]

16. drunkenalan Paid Member Paid Member

you would need some new valve springs for that lift.

17. riffy99 Forum Member

Sounds like it's not the way forward. Don't really want to plough too much cash into it :)

18. mk2vivs Forum Member

thread hi-jack the kent gs2 in my brothers doesnt seem to get going till about 4k onwards then it really powers all the way to the redline,do you think the standard 8v exhaust that is fitted could be restricting this set up?what does everyone think to the kent gs2?

19. paultownsend Forum Member

yep, thats what its supposed to do! the exhaust if it was restrictive, would strangle at higher revs. i went from a milltek to a std new vw exhaust, and it certainly reigned it in. especially i found in 4th and 5th. the millteks back on now!