Which cars are faster then your Golf?

Discussion in 'Mk2' started by CovGTi, May 4, 2011.

1. Newey Forum Member

Never really had any issues with our mk2 it keeps up with my mk5 no problem.
    Which has been mapped. But then the mk2 is far from standard. As said an abf which is well mapped will take on most modern day motors

2. Matt82

Matt82 Forum Addict

reallllly???

in what way do you think a mk2 abf would have the measure of 300-400bhp+ cars youve mentioned?

you list those cars and then a comparison to an R32 lolll the r32 is hardly a rocket ship

when gvk had his 16v years back i think he was quoting low 15, high 14s times at the pod

whats a mk2 abf ms get?

3. prof Forum Addict

load of rubbish in this thread, a modern diesel will mince a mk2 unless the mk2 is 6500k revs+

my ex had a mk4tdi 130 and i had to abuse the nads off my 160bhp mk2 to keep up

modern cars may not have the best 0-60 on paper, but are often a lot faster in real world driving and usually have miles more grip.

try catching an on boost decent diesel from 80mph in a standard mk2

4. Toyotec

Toyotec CGTI Committee - Happy helper at large Admin

My VR6 is faster than a 260PS Focus ST in a straight line to VMAX. The Focus will have a bit of punch in the middle but out of huff by 5500rpm. Focus is a very composed car around the twisties and a std VR6 will be found wobbling to catch up. Not a Ankor car with revised suspension and brakes though.
    In a staight line Ben's car is just about quicker than mine for 1st to 3rd and just a tad slower from 4th to 5th. So a STD ST 2.5 litre Focus is no problem. Also quicker going around and exiting corners will be his MK2.
    Well sorted KJet ABF MK2 can hit rev limiter in 5th on 2Y 020 and around the same top speed ( but not rpm) on a 3.68FD and 0.84 5th 02A/J

5. 2dubnick Forum Junkie

My 175bhp 16v slightly stripped Mk2 wont beat much of the modern quick stuff if any of it, might keep up nicely but beating it is different, serious amount of dreamers in this thread possibly racing people who arnt actually racing.

6. geezer Forum Member

You dont have to beat them you just have to keep up , annoys the living daylights out of modern hot hatch owners that they cant shake that golf .

Use price to win your argument new cars cost more , if you spent the same money as say a new focus rs on buying and modding an 'old' mk1/ mk2 you would beat that new car hands down .

Your also being more environmentaly freindly .

Tbh i get this alot at work too and quite frankly i dont care , i love my old golf so much i'm selling my 99 s4 to finish it .

7. prof Forum Addict

as long as you love what you drive it really doesn't matter.

8. Matt48 Forum Member

Everyone is faster because I'm looking after the original engine and gearbox, and I'm only just over halfway to the 500k target!!!! lol :thumbup:

I just know in its heyday it was up there and there are so few contempories about on a B to H plate (plus j /k if you must)

Matt last of the few on the A27

9. geordiegar Forum Member

After the rolling road, everything!

10. welshwizzard88

welshwizzard88 Forum Member

whilst being stattioned in germany i had the opertunity to own tax free cars and Having a Focus ST Mk2 225bhp and Mk5 R32 and now i have mk2 and a insgnia 2.0 tdi i can but a liitle prespective on this its such a stupid argument saying that a abf or vr6 m2 is faster than a Focus st etc as it is a modified car if you go and tune the t5 engine in the ST it will achive 500bhp!!! However i was glad to seee the back of my ST as all it did was spin the wheels and eat tyres. [:^(]. Also it vmaxed at 147 on the autobahn and really struggled to get there. My r32 pulled all the way to and past 155mph no way was it speed limited or in error as it would pass m3`s once they hit there limiter.

My mk5 R32 was only ever beaten by a mk2 in holland in a drag race but i was highly tuned running over 300 bhp probably cost more than the R32.

So in my opinion a car can be as fast as what money you throw at it R36 engine anyone[:D]

11. welshwizzard88

[
    Tbh i get this alot at work too and quite frankly i dont care , i love my old golf so much i'm selling my 99 s4 to finish it .[/QUOTE]

How much do you want for the s4?

12. NatsABF

NatsABF Forum Member

Sorry Matt - apart from the Clio 197 I have been in the car for each of those challenges and Ben's car was certainly faster (and he didn't initiate any of these either):thumbup:

Not one of those cars Ben mentioned has anywhere near 300bhp - the max is the 350z which is 286bhp (or 175bhp per ton). Ben's is about 170bhp per ton so with so some skillful driving there is no reason his car wouldn't be faster. The Focus ST is 162bhp per ton and that challenged the ABF at a less tuned stage then it is now.

So which of these had 400bhp then? Lol

And what does a mk2 abf ms get? I don't know exactly at this stage but faster then a tuned mk4 1.8t ;):p

Last edited: May 4, 2011
  13. benthejettaman Forum Member

everything is faster than my mk2 as it hasnt seen the road in 3 years, hope fully that will change in the coming months!

14. WEZ

Wez Official Friday thread starter

everything!

except mk2 focus rs's it seems, as the 2 i've come across couldn't live with me. [:s]
    granted, on was on motorway and i've got exceptional mid-range pull and the other one couldn't drive for toffee

all in 1.6 tonnes of air moving passat goodness! [:D] 134 bhp/t

15. Toyotec

Toyotec CGTI Committee - Happy helper at large Admin

What makes it an argument and what makes it stupid?

Ever seen the trackday tour 2010 thread, where a properly tested 175PS Golf MK1 was up the chuff of a 240PS Astra OPC or M3 343PS BMW on the ring? Is that a stupid statement?

On the A1 Autobahn to Klner, my Ankor weight 1285kg hauling MK3 VR6 +passengers achieved an indicated 149mph :o. It had no issue to get to 145 mph either. Once it could only achieve 137 mph.

1410 kg C307 ST...ha tell me more :lol::lol:.

A Mk2 Golf with good suspension and a sorted ABF engine with an inertia weight of ~1050 kg will be very hard to get around by so called modern hatchbacks as most weigh upwards of 1300kg. What can beat a sorted Golf i.e. MK2 w/ABF? Honda EG series with a NASP JDM K series inside. 20v Turbo cars beware...[:D]

16. LregG

LregG Paid Member Paid Member

My stripped out mk2 abf with 139bhp (on the high atmospheric pressure RR day, 152bhp back calculated) does 0-60 in 6.8 seconds according to a an ap on my mobile. I whipped a renault clio sport 200 cup thingy numerous times on an 1/8 mile strip being a car length+ ahead every time.

As mentioned above, it's all about power to weight, something that modern hatches lack on. 200bhp+ sounds good but not when it's lugging around 1300kg+

People are also overlooking the fact that modern hot hatches have 6 gears, this means another gearchange is usually required over a 5 speed to hit 60mph (the clio would hit the limiter at 50mph in 2nd for example).

17. StuMc

StuMc Moderator and Regional Host - Manchester Moderator

Well said that man! :clap:

It`s not often you`ll come across someone who will actually race you properly.

Most of the time they`ll pull back at Xmph whereas you might be prepared to go 15-20mph faster. Doesn`t mean you`ve beaten them... ;)

I once harried a 1st Gen. Focus RS round a twisty Derbyshire B-road in my totally standard (engine-wise) Digifant Mk2. Thought I was the b*llocks, before realising he probably didn`t fancy throwing a 30k car at the scenery.

My current favourite fodder though is diesel C-class Mercs and 330d Beemers. They think they`ve got the last word in the TLGP diesel tork stakes...until they get smoked by a sh*tty old Mk3 TDI. Once we get to 50+, I`m dead meat and they`re gone though...

Had a nice play with a Type R tonight (last version); came up behind lights ablaze, so he got a facefull of diesel smoke, but once he`d realised I was off he reeled me in quite swiftly. He didn`t have the cojones to take the little left-right flick-flack through the junction at the same speed as me, and it took him by surprise that I could, so much so there was a thumbs up and big grin at the next lights (that he reached first)

It`s not all about the winning, it`s the taking part, etc, etc... ;)

18. Dan W

Dan W CGTI Regional Host

I smoked a lambo in my diesel leon the other day, covered it in smoke that is just before it went past me like I was in reverse

19. Gaddmeister Forum Member

I would not expect to be quicker than a Focus ST or M3 etc. My 16v KR sees off A4 1.8T's and most modern everyday cars. Its enough for me to see their faces as an old G reg destroys their pride. If Im quicker, thats fine if they are quicker thats fine....its still fun to drive! Nuff said.

20. welshwizzard88

Toyotec I have read some of you build threads and have a great deal of respect for what work you have carried out!!!

What makes it a stupid argument is:

A is the car smoked by a mk2 really trying I passed f 40 on hungerford to malborugh road the other day in insignia desiel that don't make my car better just old git did not try to compete. And saying goes nothing faster than company car[:D]

B how do you value the time spent building the said mk2 or mk3 in your case a garage rate a of 40 per hour to the number of hours spent building those great cars would cost in exces of new golf r.

My point is If you put in the work and money into most cars something great can be
    achived:)

The only time I really need to prove point was when mates brother had a brand new cupra 20vt in 05 and I smoked him in my 328i it was tuned but cost half the price said thing is now the 328 is probably worth more.

But I think to answer question originally asked only cars of the same age can be compaired so is mk2 quicker than series 2 rs turbo, GTE, UNO turbo, Renault 5 gt turbo from what I remember driving these cars when I was 17 18 is no. But how many of them do you see compared to mk2 golfs now days not many! So over the years the golf in my opinion is
    king:clap:

I've not forgot about ur quattrocento or lancia delta but they were out of most people's reach