Which exhaust should I get for my MK2 ABF?

Discussion in 'Mk2' started by Willber, Mar 30, 2011.

1. Willber Forum Member

Finally got to the point in my build where I need to look at exhausts. The car is a Mk2 GTi with ABF engine fitted. I will be running std ABF manifold and downpipe and a cat bypass pipe with lambda bung.

I have looked at the following system to start with as it seemed to be recommended by a few other owners:

http://www.jetex.co.uk/website/jete...lkswagen&mod=Golf+Mk2+16V&mat=Stainless+Steel

I would go for the 2 box non-resonated system as long as it will be ok for track days - I have read that Jetex are on the quiet side anyway so I think that the 2 box would still be ok.

What other suitable systems are out there? Would like to be paying around 300 for the full stainless system from cat/down pipe back.

Let me know your thoughts [:D]

2. jmsheahan CGTI Graphics Designer

A Jetex stainless isn't quiet by any means but quieter than most stainless systems. I have the resonated system and it's still quite boomy around town and on the motorway but tolerable. They sound great opened up though and the quality of them is fantastic.

Personally if the car is a daily driver as well as track toy, I'd keep the mid silencer.

3. shaz8389

shaz8389 Forum Junkie

Rubjonny's car has a 3 box mild steel 2.5" Jetex.

It's quite loud but has a lovely burble with the ABF. You need to wrap part of the rear beam with rubber because the exhaust does knock it sometimes due to the bigger bore (I think upgrading the hangers to the VAG chain style ones solves this too) and the bigger bore also helps the torque curve apparently.

It mates to ABF downpipe and cat bypass as it should aswell.

4. Willber Forum Member

Interesting - I had read that the Jetex was quieter than some systems! It is not a daily driver, just a weekend & track toy. Quit fancy something a bit fruity [:D]

Sounds like just what I am after then, can wrap the beam no problem - bit of old inner tube should do it?

Thanks for your advice guys :thumbup:

5. Golfamily7 Forum Member

Yeah, Jetex claim to be the quiet performer. Mine stainless 2.5" system is not quiet by any stretch of the imagination. I do love it though, it sounds great and have had it for 5 years plus. Recommended by me.

6. Willber Forum Member

Is yours a 3 box or 2 box? Daily driver I take it?

7. Golfamily7 Forum Member

3 box and yeah a daily driver with no rear seats. Not too loud! It louder when still warming up.

8. Willber Forum Member

Hmmmmm, unsure whether to get 2 box or 3 box. Want something pretty fruity but need to be able to pass trackday limits. Nice burble on idle and a roarty sound on full throttle/high revs would be ideal. How would you describe yours?

9. Golfamily7 Forum Member

I would get a 3 depending on what bore you get. Mine sounds very purposeful at idle throaty and vocal at high rpm or heavy load. The only other exhaust i would have considered would have been a Milltek which my brother has. Mainly because of the tailpipe design being more mk2 styled. I love my Jetex though.

10. tshirt2k

tshirt2k Forum Junkie

Defiantly need some rubber on the rear beam if it's lowered by any amount. Always had Jetex. Recommended by me too. It's a bit too quiet on my mk3 now I have a turbo but the fit is alot better than the mk2.

You also HAVE to change the rear mounting hanger that comes with the exhaust or it'll never fit right.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2011
  11. paultownsend Forum Member

i have the 2" 3 box system. silent when feathering the throttle. wish i had gone for the 2.5" now as i feel it may be restricting the abf

12. Willber Forum Member

The bore would be 2.5" as I read this gives better performance/breathing for the ABF engine. I have looked into Milltek but cannot see a MK2 system listed. I quite like the look of the twin 80mm backbox on the Jetex though, not bothered about keeping it OEM looking.

The car will be lowered but not a silly amount, for handling not 'stance'. What do I need to change the rear mounting hanger to? Is this one of the bits that comes in the fitting kit?

EDIT:

Just seen your post Paul - will definitely be going for the 2.5"

Last edited: Mar 30, 2011
  13. tshirt2k

tshirt2k Forum Junkie

Yea the one in the kit. have seen cars with a jetex that have the exhaust hanging down about 3" from the cutout. Its advisable the change to poly or the chain type hangers because it is a bit heavier that standard.

14. Golfamily7 Forum Member

Milltek stopped making there mk2 system a while back. Mine is lowered 40mm and doesn't knock (i do have all new rubbers, a modified backbox hanger copied from the Magnex designed one and don't have any rear seats so no rear passengers). The Jetex kit comes with a different hanger for the rear but its not that great.

15. tshirt2k

tshirt2k Forum Junkie

The rear hanger is just shorter. With new rubbers mine didnt knock.

16. tshirt2k

tshirt2k Forum Junkie

It is a shorter metal hook that the twin entry rubbers hook onto. It bolts in place of the rear original. Luckily i knew about this, and when i sold my jetex i removed it. Most people would leave it on, because it sinilar to the original, but shorter.

If its a new exhaust you will get one with the kit. But you'll need to just change the rubbers to poly. Like below:

Powrflex exhaust mount

17. Willber Forum Member

That's great thank you very much for the info - I think I will go for the 2.5" 3 box, i'm sure it will be rowdy enough with the decat also. Don't want to have to faff around fitting DB silencers for trackdays etc.

18. tshirt2k

tshirt2k Forum Junkie

I think you'll find it ok. Nice deep rumble, found it quieter at 4k and above though.

19. Willber Forum Member

I suppose if I don't like it I can always buy the replacement pipe and make it into a 2 box?

20. shaz8389

shaz8389 Forum Junkie

Get the 3 box fella, I'll post the video of RJ's car on the rollers when I get a chance (in the middle of a holiday!) to give you an idea of the noise.