Which thermostat for an abf?

Discussion in '16-valve' started by mc_hawkings24, Dec 6, 2013.

1. mc_hawkings24 Forum Member

Quick question I'm using an 8v thermostat and the engine seems to be running abit hot. Should I be using a
    16v thermostat or does it matter? also running a new 8v radiator

2. MUSHY 16V

MUSHY 16V Moderator Staff Member Moderator

it should be the same thermostat 056 121 113 D for both 8v and 16v gti it may run a bit hotter with a 8v radiator as the 16v one is a duel core
    to the 8v single core even though the 8v one looks bigger it has less capacity than the 16v one

but the 8v radiator should be able do the job worth giving it a good flush out before you look at replacing it

when dose it get hotter ? could be something else

3. mc_hawkings24 Forum Member

It running a quarter over half way when its hot and the radiators new, well it was 10months ago.
    I was suspecting that the rad could be to small and also looking at the slam panel theres another slot for a longer rad I'm guessing its for an auto rad so could be better than 16v? if not I'll search for a 16v rad :)

4. mc_hawkings24 Forum Member

5. Bruce T Forum Member

Pretty sure that's the rad I'm running. Nice and longggg! Should do the job...I can't confirm though as I haven't run the car with it yet.
    I needed custom pipe work for my application. The bottom.outlet comes out a weird angle so needed a bit of tweeking.

6. mc_hawkings24 Forum Member

Hi Bruce I was on google and found your build thread and thats one dam big rad it fills the front of the car perfectly. Found another ebay advert and the bottom hose does angle down at what looks like 45 degrees. Problem finding hoses to fit, what have you used on yours?

Last edited: Dec 7, 2013
  7. murph81 Forum Member

I had a standard 8v rad in my Mk1 ABF and it was fine, had a 1.6 rad in ABF Mk2 and it was fine too!

8. Bruce T Forum Member

Yeah Its perfect for what I need. I have it sat on a Passat cross member so the rad sits about 3" lower to allow cold air flow from the grill over the rad to the throttle bodies/airbox.
    Yeah its probably close to 45deg, maybe a little less. I had a bit of a pain trying to get the hose to double back on itself from the water pump outlet. I've actually chopped a couple different hoses and joined them to get the right run.

I'll be working on the car tomorrow so I'll try to get a couple pictures for you :thumbup:

9. lufbramatt Forum Member

ABF should be running an 82 degree thermostat. think an 8v one will be 87 degree.

10. mc_hawkings24 Forum Member

5 degrees could make a difference I guess but it's abit of an ass to get the thermostat off again. I think just a bigger rad would suffice
    Just those rad pipes to sort out but I have found a top hose but no bottom hose yet. Any pics of your mods Mr Bruce?

thanks

11. MUSHY 16V

looked again the ABF uses 037 121 113 as said above 82 to 97
    kr uses the same as the 8v as i said above

12. Bruce T Forum Member

Sorry about the poop pics chaps! Hope they're of so help to you.

And before anyone says it... yes I know there are no hose clamps on there! lol

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

as above the abf does use a slightly cooler thermostat but it should still be fine on a standard mk2 one. when you say 'a bit hot' how hot are we talking?

14. mc_hawkings24 Forum Member

Looks good Bruce I see your using the Abf thermostat housing that's got a better angle on it than using the 8v housing like me, so I think I'll have to find GTD pipes to fit it. Johnny when it does get hot it's a 1/4 over half but now as I fitted a new electric fan the fan kicks in at 90degrees something instead of over a 100degrees which runs abit cooler. When it finally becomes summer again a Bigger rad would help and it's pretty cheap really.

15. rubjonny

should be fine with your 8v rad if its a proper dual core one and not a cheaper single core, I've got an 8v one on mine and its more than good enough my lump runs a bit cooler if anything (I guess due to stat?)

the mk2 flange is best to use if you have a MK2 rad, with MK2 pipes. the MK3 flange ends up at the wrong place hence why Bruce has had to splice 2 hoses together to get it in!

when it gets to 3/4 on the gauge ius that only when sat? if so thats perfectly fine, if when driving along the temp stays at around 1/2 then all is well!

16. MUSHY 16V

the 8v gti rad was only ever single corelol

17. rubjonny

oh, so why was the one I had on my cabrio half the thickness of the gti one I have now? I assumed that meant it was single vs double core

18. MUSHY 16V

dont know john
    had the one from my 8v gti next to both the 16v rads and the 8v one was half the thickness of the other two
    all genuine vw parts
    wish i had taken a picture now
    only have pictures of the 16v rad

19. rubjonny

all the proper gti ones have been the same thickness as the 16v one i had way back for my 1.6 driver (was cheap, local and right width :lol:)

this random rubbish rad i got included with my cab was the only one I have seen that was half the thickness and made it run too hot. I thought it was cheap rubbish or maybe mk1 1.8 carb or something

20. MUSHY 16V

na the 8v is 23mm thick the 16v one it 34mm for sure

one's for cars with aircon are 34mm wide as well

Last edited: Dec 10, 2013