Which thermostat for an abf?

Discussion in '16-valve' started by mc_hawkings24, Dec 6, 2013.

1. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

ok my guess woudl be gti still double core, but 16v has thicker cores? the crappy one i had was more like 10mm thick

2. MUSHY 16V

MUSHY 16V Moderator Staff Member Moderator

aye if you look inside the rad it's only one tube as you said it's just the 16v is wider
    mk1 gti rad is 32mm wide and about the same size as the 16v and is ok for most things
    the one you had must of been well weedy god only knows what it would of been from

edit must of been a 1.1 rad they are 22mm wide

you probably find the 8v has about the same cooling as the 16v as it is longer

Last edited: Dec 10, 2013
  3. rubjonny

it was definitely a 1.8 rad of some kind, same width as a proper GTI rad just half the thickness! small block rad has the pipe outlets in the wrong place and its much narrower at 430mm same as a 1.6/16v rad. IIRC someone on the MK1 OC forum mentioned that the MK1 1.8 carb engines had thinner rads than the 8v GTI so that must be it

but yeah, as long as its a proper GTI or 16v rad and not some rubbish pattern or poverty spec thing its fine for an ABF regardless of how many cores :thumbup:

4. MUSHY 16V

MUSHY 16V Moderator Staff Member Moderator

aye thats the problem some of the pattern one are pish
    you used to find that with 16v pattern ones they where the right size but the wrong thickness
    so you ended up with less cooling than if you had a 8v gti radiator

the one i got from vw for my 16v was made hear in the uk

5. mc_hawkings24 Forum Member

Ok all this radiator talk is getting abit dear deidre crazy...

I have just measured the nissen radiator I do have. I shone a torch down the top and it shows two cores if thats right? Also it's 34mm in thickness and end to end it's 610mm and the part number is 651511 just about to look it up.

Edit: part number comes up with 525x320x32mm so they must measure between the end caps.

Also found this 16v rad if it is a twin core
    http://www.veedubmachine.co.uk/radiator-golf-mk1-mk2-scirocco-16-8v-18-16v-p-138.html

Last edited: Dec 10, 2013
  6. rubjonny

cool the one you have is fine then, no need to change it unless its clogged. so when you're driving along whats it sit at? if it goes to 3/4 when you're sat for a bit thats perfectly fine. also if it has oil temp sender what does that say when driving

7. mc_hawkings24 Forum Member

Hi buddy I didn't check the oil temps but Even in the 8v it never went 3/4's but I have the larger radiator now and I bought the pipes from France 14 brand new delivered Should be ok now :)

8. GAZ4149

GAZ4149 New Member

I bought two thermostats for my 16v, can't remember exactly but they are only a few degrees in difference so can't imagine it would matter that much. Think normal running temp is about 80-90 degrees and they vary in between that temperature.

A Haynes manual will probably say. I will check mine later and see if it relates.
    Don't quote me but I think the two I had for a 16v were around 86 degrees and 94degrees.

9. Dennis10

Dennis10 Forum Member

I've just realised the new thermostat I bought and had fitted at the weekend along with new waterpump, cambelt etc is actually for an 8v. Ie opens at 87 degrees instead of 82.

Shouldn't make much difference to running temps though should it, just help the car get upto temp quicker? Would this actually be a benefit.. the cold start phase would be slightly shorter so less dumping of fuel into engine?