Worrying noise from 16V KR when hot (VIDEO)

Discussion in '16-valve' started by Trev16v, Apr 13, 2008.

1. TheSecondComing Forum Addict

Is that with the throttle held open and a good battery, Neil? Those results are pretty borderline even for a cold engine. If you have a flick through the forums you'll see that most people with a healthy engine get 180-200, assuming it's standard and not lowered compression!

2. Trev16v

Trev16v Paid Member Paid Member

I was a total pleb and forgot to hold the throttle open when I did that last check, and I also did it with the engine dead cold. I'll wake up and do it properly at the weekend.
    Trev

3. Trev16v

Trev16v Paid Member Paid Member

Actually, look at this:

http://www.geocities.com/terminalvelocitycoaster/adr/

The graph suggests a pressure figure that is bang on to what TSC says for standard 16V compression ratio (10:1).

The compression ratio of my engine (pistons specified as 8.5:1, but a measurement by the engine shop suggested 8.2:1) gives a value not far off from what I have measured. :)

Trev

4. TheSecondComing Forum Addict

At 8.2 to one and Megasquirt and fancy pistons, you should be able to get some monster power figures if the charger can put out the boost!

5. TheSecondComing Forum Addict

Aye, but your link is for compression ratio, not cylinder pressure which is what you are actually measuring with a compression test... some manuals, like the Bentley, give "acceptable" figures so low that if it were my car I'd be looking for a new engine! Maybe "acceptable" just means "it starts and runs"...

6. neil kaye Forum Junkie

hi yea that was with good battery and throttle open fully and flat cold,just wondering if my comp tester is on its way out iv had id a while now and iv never replaced the seal time to get a new one i think ive got another engine to go in this summer anyway so ill check them too its been honed with new rings etc

7. neil kaye Forum Junkie

iv just found some figures a dude gave me one time when i was takin my car for mot and i asked him bwt comp ratio hes wrote kr-10 to 13 bar___bar being 14 psi, so
    10 bar being 140 psi
    11 being 154
    12 being 168
    13 being 182
    so i hope to god my comp tester is goosed as you say t.s.c 150 is very boarderline will do the test with new comp tester on fri

8. Brookster

Brookster Paid Member Paid Member

Just found this thread as my 16v ABF is making exactly the same noise. been running it in last week.

stripped the cams out and it looks like its the two exhaust tappets on cylinder no2.

gunna get a new set and see if it cures it ! will fit some nice cams while i'm at it :)

9. Brookster

Brookster Paid Member Paid Member

just got my 16v engine back together , new tappets cams re-built head and still getting knocking sounds above 1500rpm when cold [8(]

10. KeithMac Forum Junkie

Hello Trev, long time no see!. Have you had yours on the rollers yet? would be interested to see what it makes. I`ve had a year out on mine due to having a baby boy; but got it ready to pull the engine for the new box/ pedal assy etc.

Mine`s been stood over a year and went fist turn of the key with a new battery, I couldn`t believe it.