Your fav all rounder tyres?

Discussion in 'Wheels and Tyres' started by Paul_TDi, Aug 20, 2007.

1. Paul_TDi Forum Member

I'ved come to the decision that I hate my tyres, they really are terrible, barely grip under a wee bit of power in wet and slide around every where in the dry.

I'm in this situation as I was skint when i needed new tyres so stupidly i let my dad step in and he quickly aranged new tyres at the local garage, I assumed he was getting the same that was on the car (continental economies?) but no I got some crappy budget tyres... Runway enduros.

So at my first chance when i have some money I need to change my 2 front tyres.

There standard alloys on a Mk4 GT Tdi 196/65 on 15" rims i think. I do alot of miles and drive hard so would like something maybe inbtween on tyre compounds??

thanks for your help.

2. beetie

beetie Forum Member

they tend to be
    eagle f1 gsd3
    toyo proxes t1-s or t1-r
    uniroyal rainsports.

ive also heard very good things about the falken fk452 (from 200sx people)

I prefer the f1 gsd3 (although i haven't tried the fk452(only just come out) or rainsports(quite expensive compared to the rest))

3. gillm

gillm ***** User

i have been using bridgestone potenza re50a on my mk5 and they are great in the dry and pretty damm good in the wet too

4. Matt82

Matt82 Forum Addict

eagle f1s. basically an amazing tyre

5. DarrenE Forum Member

Pirelli P-zero's ?

6. kev25v6 Forum Member

Ive found continental eco contact 3 are excellant for grip especially in the wet. I had the same problem with sliding everywhere on my old budgets so decided on these tyres after reading good reviews on them. Ive done about 1000 miles upto yet and there is no sign of wear, only thing is i now have to change my driving style as im so used to just sliding round corners and tend to over steer weith these new tyres on.

7. Paul_TDi Forum Member

I love falken Fk 452, I had them on my old MK3 golf, couldn't get them to loose grip no matter how hard I threw it into corners and they didn't squeal like a pig! Unfortunately I dont think they make them in the size I need now. They got a top review from Golf + last year as best all rounder.

I'll have a looky at some prices, thanks for everyones input.

8. Jolfa

Jolfa Forum Junkie

i will never be buying another set of these again, i get oversteer in the dry, often, just plain dangerous in the wet!

9. newkid

newkid Forum Member

i've just had to have a new set of rubber on the front. I got a pair of Cooper Avons and having ridden around in the rain this weekend and gone through a fair bit of standing water they seem to have loads and loads of grip.
    They seem better than the firestones i had on before.

10. Golf Nut Pete

Golf Nut Pete Forum Member

i have some realy cheap 195/45/15 nankang ns2 tyres on mine, 30 a corner bought em a year ago and the fronts must have at least another year or two left and the rears still look new. they are pretty good as well handling wise for price paid.

11. Matt82

Matt82 Forum Addict

you say it like its a bad thing?

12. Vee Dub Golf New Member

u wanna get Kumho KU31's. very grippy and not to expensive.

13. Jolfa

Jolfa Forum Junkie

it is?

14. G-Man Forum Junkie

I had Toyo T1-R's and they were very slippy in the wet. Their soft compond did wear down quickly but i did like the dry grip!

15. mat-mk3

mat-mk3 Administrator Admin

I got some uniroyal rainsports when i first got the loop. They are really hard wearing as ive done about 3000 on them and they are like new still!

16. cocobay63 Forum Member

Toyo Proxos T1R ! Good Tyres Great Grip, but make sure your car is set up right otherwise if the tracking is out your tyre will be finished within no time,

17. Aphex Forum Junkie

I go with toyo t1-s's as at 30 a corner I can't say no. I found great grip in dry and pretty good grip in the wet too.

Not had any sideways action yet though.

18. lufbramatt Forum Member

yep those runway enduros really are crap, its not just you ;) the back end breaking away at 50mph coming off a sliproad onto the m20 is not fun.

both me and a mate have had them on mk3 passats, we know them as "teflon tyres"

good news is they dont last long so you wont have to wait long before you actually will have to change them- my set were put on in a hurry to pass an mot last year and the fronts have about 2-3mm of tread left after 11000 miles.

19. Rainey Forum Member

Nankang Ditch Finders

20. andypaterson Forum Member

I need new tyres for the VR6 as it's MOT time in sept. Found Toyo 195/50 R15 PXT1-S for 29 a corner and it seems like lunacy not to choose them at that price.

Unless people think they're really bad! I hear mixed reviews.