16v kr...starts then stalls

Discussion in '16-valve' started by pigbladder, Apr 2, 2005.

1. pigbladder Forum Addict

no , never ran mine without an isv....its starting okay , but it really doesnt want to run when warm /cold

2. Riley

Riley Forum Addict

mmm,i remember something about the idle screw being over adjusted to compensate for a problem else where?

maybe the problem?

someone might be able to explain.
    neil.

3. jamiehol Forum Member

If you have moved or messed with the wiring and it has got worse, perhaps there is a break in the wire that you can't see.

4. pigbladder Forum Addict

jamie..yeah that'd make sense, although i had probs last year and in an atempt to cure it i cut back and soldered in all new wires to those sensors, so im pretty sure theyre sound

5. jamiehol Forum Member

ah, perhaps not then

6. STU

Stu Forum Junkie

Doh! [xx(]

Yep - as said above, all the sensors are the same. I was going to suggest checking the wiring as I noticed the other day the blue/white wire on mine (think that's to the ECU) had been cut through a little by rubbing on a hose clip or something. Patched it up, made no difference but I think I will cut them back and re-solder to try and improve the connections. :)

Pigbladder - definitely sounds like the sensors and/or wiring are your problem then as I know if you disconnect one of the wires with the engine running it stalls - could be a dodgy connection there perhaps?

7. pigbladder Forum Addict

do you know what wire make em stall??

and i was wondering stu ,could you ign timing be wrong?? ive set mine up with my gun ,but im wondering if my timing light is accurate

8. Riley

Riley Forum Addict

i just tried searching for a topic which showed which wire but cant find it [:x]

try unplugging em one by one maybe?

neil. :)

9. pigbladder Forum Addict

thing is..if it was a dodgy wire, wouldnt it stall constantly over and over again?...i can almost point to the spot in the road where it will stall every day

stu...what about your ign timing, ive only got a poopy timing light

10. STU

Stu Forum Junkie

Hiya, right ignition timing. I'm pretty sure mine is spot on as this cold start fault has been occuring since last August otherwise the car is running fine with no changes to timing or anything in that time.

I recently changed the head gasket so suspected the timing myself even though I was very careful setting it all back up again. I checked it with two different strobes and both showed that it was correct so don't think that's the problem.

As for the wire that makes it stall, I think it's the blue/white one but not sure if the other one to the ECU (red/green?) also makes it stall if removed as it's something to do with the idle circuit. Basically two of the wires are idle and ecu and the other is the temp gauge.

Going to have a crack at cleaning up my temp senders, checking/repairing wiring etc this weekend - will report back with any progress. :)

One other thought I had is I wonder if my ECU has a fault on it, have you tried swapping ECU's?
    Edited by: Stu

11. pigbladder Forum Addict

i havent got a spare ecu...i dohave a spare isv controler , i'll swap that in and see what happens

12. STU

Stu Forum Junkie

Yeah, the ISV controller is something else I was wondering about. Let me know how you get on with it! :)

13. pigbladder Forum Addict

yeah will do, lets try and keep in touch till this is sorted

14. Bri957 Forum Member

Don't foreget to post on here your results.

As the owner of a valver that has struggled to run smoothly from cold for over a year... i'm quite interested in what is causing your problems.

Cheers bRI

15. pigbladder Forum Addict

there seems to be alot of cold running issues popping up now, maybe its the age theyre getting to??

16. HidRo Forum Member

Mine has 18years, and ruf start to :lol:.
    I will get some injectors and probably a coil to, to see if it gets a little better.

17. STU

Stu Forum Junkie

Well today I removed the three temp senders on the side of the head and cleaned them up, checked and repaired any faulty wiring and crimped new connectors onto the wires. Hooked it all back up and guess what - no change, still cuts out when cold started! [:^(]

One this I did notice though was that when removing the temp senders the bottom one and one behind the water pipe (under dizzy) caused coolant to leak out whereas the one nearer the front of the block infront of the water pipe didn't? Is this a fault or just due to that temp sender being slightly higher up in the head so above coolant level or something?

Pigbladder - any news on the ISV controller? I belive it's behind the centre console? How do you get to it exactly? :)

Edited by: Stu

18. martyn_16v Forum Junkie

Some of the holes for the senders don't actually break into the waterways, they're just tapped into the head.

19. martyn_16v Forum Junkie

I saw this thread on the vortex, I haven't decided whether it's their usual nonsense or if he's actually on to something, but it could be worth a go if all else is failing.

20. STU

Stu Forum Junkie

Ah ha, fair enough - thanks for the info.

Regarding that Vortex thread - I hadn't thought of that, do you think blowing out the fuel line would help things then? Surely any cr@p in there would go back into the fuel tank though wouldn't it?

Do you reckon it's worth a try or am I going to cause some damage blowing out the fuel lines? [:$]