16v turning but not starting

Discussion in '16-valve' started by Mk2gti8v, Oct 23, 2008.

1. Mk2gti8v Forum Member

i found a useful link on a search i done on here.

http://www.dubscene.net/eva2/FU01/ch4.7.2.html

is this the best way to check for fuel? if i get fuel to the injectors this was it may mean the fuel pump relay of other circuit is faulty as you need to by-pass the relay this way.

+ in the illustration it shows you need to pull the plate up, my needs to be pushed down?

what i will do first is pull the injector out, get some one to turn it over for me and go from there.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2008
  2. neil kaye Forum Junkie

if you have to push the plate down thats wrong,sounds like the plunger in the metering unit is seized,which will cause no fuel to injectors i believe

3. Mk2gti8v Forum Member

hang on mate i will check.

apologize, it does lift.

But what will cause it to lift if the engine started and ran ok??

Last edited: Nov 9, 2008
  4. neil kaye Forum Junkie

it lifts with vacume i think when the throttle is opened ,that link looks good have you tried it yet,ive heard of this before from ,i think T.S.C and rubjonny,never done it myself,but i recommend you try it

5. Mk2gti8v Forum Member

not yet neil, the rain and wind is crazy + the battery is charging at the mo. fresh start in the morning i suppose.:)

6. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

Have you checked both pumps are priming when you turen the key 1 click? Disconnect the plug from the pump under the car and try again, then you should hear the in-tank pump prime.
    crack loose the 4 bolts on top of the metering head to heach injector, just enough to see if fuel seeps out, then nip them all up again. If that checks out you're getting fuel to the injectors at least.
    It could be a clogged filter, mine just wouldnt start one day! AA man diagnosed by spraying a ton of easy-start into the inlet then turning it over, it fired up briefly then cut out.

The air flap is lifted up by air being sucked into the engine, the more air the engine needs the more fuel is pumped in. The injectors need high pressure to open, so fuel may be making it up to metering head but not at enough pressure to open the injectors as in my case, new filter and problem solved.

7. Mk2gti8v Forum Member

do both pumps prime with one turn of the key? i can hear a a buzz for a few seconds.

8. neil kaye Forum Junkie

they should but what hes saying is if you unplug the main one under the car you can then listen for the small one on the tank,this one must work to feed the main one,the buzz youl here is from the main pump

9. Mk2gti8v Forum Member

this car is sending me loopy. just been out to the car and tried it and it fires up. so there must be fuel, a spark, both pumps must be working correctly. im running up for 30mins of so then will try again.

10. rubjonny

thats exactly what mine did, it wouldnt start a couple hours after i parked up one night, was fine next day. got me to halfords where i bought some parts for the polo which had also broke down that evening, fired up and got me to the supermarket for foiod shopping, then it wouldnt start again. AA man tried everything, eventually towed me home. New fuel filter solved the problem!

check your lift pump though ;)

11. Mk2gti8v Forum Member

i changed the filter today. took a couple of times before it started. then it fired up. ran for a while, stopped it, started it, stoped it, started, stopped it, started, stoped it. so i went to the garage to see if i can get the traking done. stopped it, wouldnt fire up when it tried to start it, took a couple of goes.

driving on the way home all p+ssed off that it was still playing up the car start to judder and trying to stall. managed to limp home back to square one.

i really thought the new filter had cured it.

12. rubjonny

lift pump :)

13. Mk2gti8v Forum Member

were is the location of the lift pump?

is it the pump under the car by the filter?

Last edited: Nov 10, 2008
  14. rubjonny

its inside the fuel tank, the sound of it is drowned out by the main pump which is why I'm tellin ya to disconnect the electrical plug from the main pump and turn the key 1 click :)

15. Mk2gti8v Forum Member

sorry mate i should of listened to you earlier, i will give that a go. thanks.

16. Mk2gti8v Forum Member

due to the bad weather i could not check the lift pump. im back on shift tommorow so i wont be able to look at the car untill saturday.

could you guys help with the info i have given and things i checked diagnose the starting issue or maybe an idea?

* i have a spark at the plug. ( may be and intemitant spark, rotor arm?)

* changed the fuel filter.

* there is fuel to the metering head.

* metering head flap opens fine.

* today when i managed to get the car running it was running a bit rought, juddering, injectors may be starved of fuel?

at the moment im thinking its either one of the pumps?. being an internitant fault its alot harder to diagnose. its driving me round the bend and it keeps going through my head of what it could be but its pssing it down outside.

17. rubjonny

well if ya stop being a big girl it wont take 10 seconds to pop the plug off and check :lol:

i fitted an entire exhaust on my own in the rain, got proper soaked but it didnt bother me as I'm a man
    [​IMG]

18. Mk2gti8v Forum Member

lol. ok, you asked for it.

19. Mk2gti8v Forum Member

i pulled the plug on the pump under the car. the lift pump makes a sound when the ingnition is on 1 click but only for a couple seconds. :)

20. neil kaye Forum Junkie

oh that pic again j so fetching ;)
    my bets on the noisey h/p pump mne did strange thing like cutting out on right hander,ran fine one day like a bag of mince the next,would drive 100 yards then splutter to an halt then every 100 or so after that too,then suddenly purr likea kitten,then it would judder,rough idle sometimes and it had me going doolal