16v twin exh cams info please

Discussion in '16-valve' started by shaft69, Jun 8, 2004.

1. shaft69 Forum Member

Can anyone give me onfo on fitting twin exhaust cams on my mk3 16v. I've heard it can be done and gives some good results. How it done and what cams do you use i.e hi-lift cams or standard cams

2. edc1 Forum Member

An even better mod seems to be the use of a Schrick 268 inlet cam with stock exhaust cam and remap

3. flusted Forum Member

Find a standard exhaust cam,Then cut it down to the same length as inlet cam,then buy a hotgolfed chainwheel to correct timing. pm me if you need 1 ;)
    I done this mod to my corrado and it hauls ass :lol:
    Edited by: flusted

4. shaft69 Forum Member

Sorry lack of my info i've got mk3 2lt in my mk2 running on k-jet. what a hot golfed cam? is it one of those adj type like kent do?

5. shaft69 Forum Member

sorry hotgolfed chainwheel?

6. prof Forum Addict

ask dexteruk, i think he has just replaced a twin ex cam setup with shricks so you might get a goos deal

7. altern8 Forum Junkie

or send hotgolf a PM

8. flusted Forum Member

Hotgolf re cuts the keyway in the standard chainwheel to correct the timing cos if you just flip the cam over and fit it, it would be approx 5degrees out on the cam timing.He done mine and its spot on.If you get it wrong the car idles like crap and losses power big time.
    Im having mine dynod at stealth late july so i can post evidence of how good it is.
    Its worth noting the zorst cam has approx 1mm more lift over standard kr inlet cam [:D] and even more over 9a,6a,abf jobby

9. prof Forum Addict

ABF cams have more lift than KR Matey, just less duration

10. NormanCoal Forum Member

They're mine actually ;) , though I dont have a use for them as mine is a 2 valve per cylinder motor, PM me if you are interested :)

11. Joe_G Forum Member

On a KR, exhaust is 10.2mm lift, inlet 9.6mm.

On a 9A, exhaust is same as KR, inlet is 8.8mm lift.

Joe

12. flusted Forum Member

I was lead to believe all zorst cams are the same!?!?.I have a 6a jobby in mine

13. NormanCoal Forum Member

Kr and 9A exhaust cams are the same - ABF cams are different on inlet and exhaust

14. flusted Forum Member

wot about 6a then?

15. GVK

GVK Paid Member Paid Member

I've got the twin exhaust cams with converted chainwheel to keep the cam timing spot on from ChrisP - 40 :lol:

Will fit them and get down to Stealth for a power run to compare to the KR inlet cam that I have at the moment. Shame Vince can't fit me in this week as I have two days off,going somewhere else won't be a fair comparison really.

16. flusted Forum Member

What zorst cam have you modded gvk? You will love it when its fitted.Not sure whether it will produce more bhp but it will definatly produce more torque lower down and smooth out the torque curve

17. GVK

Funningly enough it's my old 9A exhaust cam (which is the same as a KR) I sold it to ChrisP ages ago, he got it modified/fitted at Stealth along with the modified chainwheel.

I'm not expecting miracles but for 40 it's worth a try to see what gains 'if any' I get from it.

My engine is pretty torquey for a 16v as it is, be interesting to see the difference in the curves with this cam.

Edited by: G_V_K

18. GVK

Fitted the cam(s) this evening, not the best job in the world jiggling those little feckers around to get the inter cam timing spot on is it!? [xx(]

I always curse as you tighten the caps down,the cams always seem to turn a bit [:x]

Got it all timed up and put back together, been out for a drive, if anything the mid range seems a bit livlier and it feels as though there 200rpm up top thats a bit more useful than before.

Will see what the graphs are like the next time at Stealth and post up the results.

19. flusted Forum Member

Do you feel its a good mod then??

20. GVK

I'll wait to see the graphs, but the car deffo feels a bit livlier in the mid range which can't be bad :)

And for 40 and a bit of sweat fitting them, I can't complain.