2e3 woes

Discussion in 'Carburettor' started by JABBER, May 10, 2007.

1. JABBER Forum Member

No the air filter is an add on .. K&n type pancake filter east to west.. should be OK for the warmer months, however as the colder air draws in me thinks I might utilise the original.
    Beauty of manual choke is the its just required on startup ..once your round the corner push her in and save that gas!:)

2. EZ_Pete

EZ_Pete Forum Junkie

:) Was hoping you might not have chucked out the original airbox etc.

Manual stuff is cool, I spent a lot of time and energy working out the Pierburg autochoke stuff, mainly for the challenge. It's really just a troublesome gimmick though, like electric windows, never owned a car with them, never feel the need to. How hard is it to wind a little handle? About as hard as operating a manual choke...:lol:

3. JABBER Forum Member

It's really just a troublesome gimmick though, like electric windows, never owned a car with them, never feel the need to. How hard is it to wind a little handle? About as hard as operating a manual choke...

HaHa Remember when manufacturers had electric aerials in their bangers now they did break lots!:lol:

4. EZ_Pete

EZ_Pete Forum Junkie

:lol: Was a bit drunk last night when I wrote that!

Actually my old Polo had an electric aerial, worked a treat, but then that wasn't a banger.

What I didn't think of last night is that autochokes are great for those members of the driving public who don't have any idea how an engine works, this includes a lot of women, but also a lot of men.

Jabber: if you decide to try to sell your 2E3 and don't have any luck, I'll give you postage + a couple of pints worth for it. I could do with getting my hands on one.

5. essex_lad Forum Member

Yeah, Pierburg 2E3's are tricky little blighters, I spent hours and hours trying to fix a mate's one, now I reckon I could probably have fixed yours, because I spent that long on my mate's I kind of became an expert.

By the way it probably had about three serperate faults, they all seem to.

Perforated Choke Pulldown diaphram, broken / leaking thermo thing in the air filter housing, bad seal at the manifold, leaky vacuum hoses and a damn good clean and setup was what was required on me mate's.

6. MacDaddy UK Forum Member

how long did it take you to do all that to your mates carb? i need mine sorted so i might do it myself

7. JABBER Forum Member

Perforated Choke Pulldown diaphram, broken / leaking thermo thing in the air filter housing, bad seal at the manifold, leaky vacuum hoses and a damn good clean and setup was what was required on me mate's.

Umm checked this lot out.. , she was leaking at the manifold hence the new rubber mount (new one going cheap if anyones up for it , they are 20 at GSF!) a couple of deterioated vac hoses yes, the temp sensor in the air filter was wheezing a little, however...seemed fine although when checking the flap at the end was broken and promptly replaced..

EZ if you want the carb its yours mate PM me your details and I'll post it at the next available opportunity

Regards

8. simonh New Member

Had endless problems with Polo's/Sciroccos and Pierburg's.
    The solution.......Webber!!!
    Well done, money well spent, spend the time indoors not under the bonnet!
    Simon.

9. EZ_Pete

EZ_Pete Forum Junkie

Whatever floats your boat.
    I thought people on this site liked to be in/around their cars?

10. simonh New Member

Yes, I DO like spenting time with my cars and have done for the last 30+ years!
    However, I do not like wasting time, and any time spent on the Pierburg is wasted, unless originality is important or you havent got the cash.
    Look at the number of problems people have with them, on this site alone. Talk to guys who were involved at the VW garages at the time.
    Look at the design of the thing, it has "fixes" hanging off it everywhere!! I have run 2 Sciroccos, 3 Polos and 2 Golfs in the last 20 years and ALL the carb cars had problems, apart from the Polo I bought new! (And sold at a year old!)
    Currently my 15 year old Scirocco is on a Webber and has not been touched in 3 years, one of the best cars I have owned.
    The consistent advice from tuners/garage is "throw it away"!!
    Yes, I have spent endless hours trying to fix them via Haynes and this site, also tried the mid-path by fitting a manual choke to my sons car, certainly better than the auto.
    Great "fiddling" weather now, but try it in February with the rain dripping down your neck!! (Note; Except this Feb, that was our summer!!!)
    So, in summary, I LOVE my VW's but I HATE the Pierburg, I'd rather walk, and would probably have to!!!
    Regards,
    Simon.:)

11. EZ_Pete

EZ_Pete Forum Junkie

:lol: Top rant!

[Counter-rant mode]
    I accept that there are a lot of 'bolt-on' bits, but they are 'fixes' for ever more stringent emissions regulations, and convenience of semi/fully automatic chokes, not design errors. 15-20 year old vac hoses fail on all cars, and are easily replaced, it's actually a credit to Pierburg that the 'core' of the carburettor is still basically working, often in the absence of any maintenance or servicing.

Also, many of the most regularly occuring faults (icing due to warm-air-feed system failure; over-revving during warm-up due to the 'cat's bum' o-ring problem etc) are VW's design faults, not Pierburg's.

Maybe the Webers will stand the test of time better, but they are much less sophisticated pieces of kit, so that wouldn't be too big a surprise.

[/Counter-rant mode]

Edit: The reason garages will recommend replacement - they don't want to spend labour hours trying to fix something they don't understand, fail, then have you debate payment.

Last edited: Jul 23, 2007
  12. simonh New Member

Pete,
    I fully accept that you have vastly more knowledge of the carb than me, after all you wrote a lot of the FAQ's!
    Time/money is a balance. I have had endless pleasure over the years fixing cars with time and care, rather than money.
    De-coking my Pinto on a kitchen table, out of doors over 3 days, when I could only afford the gasket set, comes to mind!
    I dont disagree with anything, technical, that you have said.
    This site seems to have endless people who are pleasant and helpful when others have problems, unlike another (rally) site I use where people "jump down your throat" the moment you express an opinion!
    So, whether we "like to spend time with our cars" or not, people are entitled to a broad spread of opinion and can make up their own minds which way to go.
    My clear preference on the Pierburg issue is to buy Webber and when I couldnt afford to I certainly tried a lot of the fixes suggested!
    We are obviously both VW fans who still use the older cars.
    Viva VW!
    Simon.

13. EZ_Pete

EZ_Pete Forum Junkie

Fair play Simon, I just like to stick up for the much-maligned Pierburg, possibly 'cos I spent so much time and effort learning about it. I respect your opinion (and that of many others) that a new Weber is an effective, (largely) trouble-free investment. I just don't see the need to spit/crap on the Pierburg just 'cos you've chosen to give up on it.

:hug:

P.S. All the credit for the 2E2 FAQ is rubjonny's (and those who added to his work at the time), yes, I've posted a lot since, but the fundamentals he sorted out are intact and more important than anything I've added since.

14. mattneck Forum Member

Bugger - My complete pierberg got picked up at pod - now im left with a more annihalated one unfortunately.. If any of you want that for spares be my guest - the weber was a quick and easy availability when i first got the car running so in the end i had to go for it as the car needed to be running asap.

Still tempted to go out get an old 2E3 and strip and rebuild it for learnings sake. the diaphraghm, pinwheel thing i hear also goes a bit funny and the vac hoses seem to be what ive read here and heard before then?

But whats the flap and temp sensor in the airbox all about, is that the cold air feed little box looks kinga like a budget MAF and the small orange vacuum connected part at the front underside of the box?

15. EZ_Pete

EZ_Pete Forum Junkie

Not too sure what your airbox looks like (pics?), but that stuff sounds like the mechanism that lets some pre-warmed air into the airbox if the ambient air temperature's below about 20C. The vacuum lines take a 'suck' to the thermostat, then from there to the diaphragm/flap mechanism that actually lets more or less hot air in. The thermostat opens and closes to continually move the flap and so you get regulation of the air temperature.

16. mattneck Forum Member

ah ha.. ill have to have a gander at this and work out what the crack is.. is it something i can test by sucking or blowing through the connected vac pipe?

17. mattneck Forum Member

Replied to your message Pete.. we are kinda in the same ball park at the moment - but as said ill get some extra photos.. ill throw them in ehre as well for anyone else confused by me! :)

18. EZ_Pete

EZ_Pete Forum Junkie

Might be worth starting another thread, haven't seen a lot of info (on here) about the 1.3 engine's airbox/breathers/carbs etc, could be useful for others. Might save me a bit of 'work'!

I understand you have a Weber on your 1.3, and there are one or two folk debating that move as well, so your input could be good.

I still say Pierburgs are cool though :lol: .

19. mattneck Forum Member

I think my PB was probably easily fixable after all, but back then I didn't know sweet FA on the matter - had got some advice but it would have been costly and could have been flogging a dead horse easily considering the condition of the rest of the car, and by then was running over nudget anyway. A good condition weber being bolted on and tuned got the car on the road quicker and gave me more time to do the other things that needed doing more importantly - things only possible when it was actually running :lol:

I'd like to get another 2E3 to learn on and rebuild, admittedly :)

For my weber I eventually found a manual choke lever, its from a mk1, but the choke light and handbrake combined is available, theres a random plug hanging from the choke switch but im unsure how to wire it in, to show the choke is on, started out with a british leyland one but it was multi strand and frayed badly, he vag counterpart is a single tough wire and highly recommended if doing weber conversion as the gap for claping in is very tight.

Would love to get a proepr factory choke light and that going on there, need to get a meter on the switch and get working, it literally seems to be a switch between the live. Open or close Im guessing at. so a live through it, an earth and the live from the switch to the bulb.. Can't see any need for anything else, in theory?

20. mattneck Forum Member

How did you test that one?