2L 16v cam choices....

Discussion in '16-valve' started by chrismc, May 17, 2011.

1. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

Au contraire!

The transmission section is uber organised clickety, unlike the K-Jet dept where a thread sort out was requested last year but, a bit like the metering heads themselves really, we're still in something of an over-fuelled talk dip on that one :lol:

2. Mike_H Forum Addict

It depends on the track... once you can light up the front end in 2nd at Curby, more power is limited by the amount of time you can use it, and doesn't get you much unless you've got a huge amount of grip to go with it. Having said that, Sparrow and Sambo have demonstrated that big power cars can go very quickly round there, but they need to be driven properly as well.

On the other hand, if you're hooning round the Nurburgring, or Silverstone, the balance shifts a bit the other way... when you've got the throttle on the floor for more than a couple of seconds, and especially when you're doing that in 3rd, 4th, 5th... then the balance shifts in favour of power to weight ratio... and another 30+ mph in the fast bits makes a bit difference to your lap time. All the other truths about gearbox and LSD are still true, but the decision about where to spend next chunk of money might be different.

The TYPE of power deliver7 is a big factor too... Curby needs a car that handles well, and has enough grunt low down to drag it out of the tight corners in 2nd. It's easy to drop off-cam in a proper race car (like TonyB's for example) and lose a lot of time, relative to a sub-30 second lap. Again, on a more open circuit, you've got more time and space to find the right gear, and hold it to the red line, then the next gear... then....

The other interesting things about the Curby result, are that if Sambo's car had been fully mapped, he probably been FTD. Then, you should stop and consider that out of the lightweight N/A cars with LSDs that were there, they pretty much finished in order of power:weight ratio. Power doesn't make all the difference, but it still makes a difference.

Last edited: May 24, 2011
  3. danster Forum Addict

Chris, that was an old post, check the time. The transmission section has had a client already. :thumbup:

4. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

I am glad a customer has arrived. Most just use the frankly excellent FAQs [:*:]

Anyways, pfft, the K-Jet thread remains over-fuelled on talk!

5. ianb Forum Member

I'll be doing Combe on the RS day on the 2nd of July....brilliant day and Autometrix day.

The 4.25 FD in CFJ is absolutely brilliant....great for track use at Combe. The way it holds revs high up on the extended limiter and falls into the best part of the power spectrum makes it feel sensational.

I tried a DC5 Honda and Civic Typer R....lovely and peaky but seemd to be far less grunty than the VW 9A unit.....real power on cam but I found it wanting below 5500 rpm. (Off topic I know).

Perhaps I can organise a old CGTI bash at TSR with Chris??

6. Admin Guest

Oh I was not really referring to anyone in particular at Curby but more power is not always the way to go faster. Mine was never of cam it was usually at around 5500rpm high torque pulling out corners and would easily break track. My tyres are not great and are a few years old now. Anyway there's another client in the trans section Danster...;);)[:D]

Last edited by a moderator: May 24, 2011
  7. Mike_H Forum Addict

I'd be surprised if you're pulling 5.5k out of the hairpin, unless you're in 1st ;)

My response to your post about Curby was because I thought it was an interesting discussion point (even if we are getting a little off of the original topic). You can refer to anyone you like, in particlular or otherwise [:D]

8. Admin Guest

TBH a don't know what revs I would hold at that point, far to busy swinging of the steering wheel as I hit the apex...[:s]:thumbup:

9. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

Curborough needs a far wider range of revs compared to Combe.

But we are slightly OT I think!

10. Toyotec

Toyotec CGTI Committee - Happy helper at large Admin

To all.

Subjectively I could say the above car is amazing and start :thumbup::thumbup:, showing my bias. An 8v that revs to 7000rpm!! pulls like a train to the redline, seen it clock 140mph + on the Autobahn etc and so on then use it as a benchmark for anyone who wants to build a 'proper' 8v who have not already converted to an ABF engine):lol:.
    But that is my own perception and to someone with a '500bhp' EVO 7 may just think I am being a bit of a idiot which of course would be their perception.
    How do you decipher fact from this? To translate my perception and Mike's into a fact, I will fetch a stocker PB or EV KJet *v thing as well as a std KR car at my cost and time make sure it works properly, at my cost and time and log the Gs in a select gear with an appropriate tool. With consistent and stabilised data I could return to this Scirocco and do the same agian at my cost and time. When the data is put on paper from all four I can now demonstrate my experience with you all as a fact as tested again at my cost and time.
    It is level of discussion I would like to seek from those speaking about their vehicles.

Particularly this subject of 'which cams' when it comes to 2L 16v engines (a 9A short block). Dyno numbers without understanding about how they are generated or referenced are just chit chat and will never be taken seriously by those who are informed.
    Let us show data so that we can relate to engine hardware modifications as if we were behind the wheel and could feel the experience from explanation and demonstration and determine if this setup is what we want. Numbers sound good but in such a case would mean ****all.
    This was my aim for the 16v dyno day as my expertise, time and money was invested behind the scenes to have referencing so that issues like these could be better explained. This has not happened before on previous events. This time an effort was just simply shared with the forum so everyone could benefit.

So the question is, from all that has been presented, demonstrated and linked to on this thread.

Peaky modified engine built at home and controlled by a compromise or junkyard engine fettled with intelligence?

The choice is yours...

I will bow out gracefully now.

Regards

Fahrvergngen von Toyotecwerke.

11. tshirt2k

tshirt2k Forum Junkie

After 9 pages..... where are we??:lol: We still have KJet rebellion. And a need for a 16v dyno day. Sometime you just have to give in. [:[]

12. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

Turn up at Combe, with the correct choice of driving shoes, for a sesh. Return match offered at Curborough in September. May need pipes and slippers in the paddock mind, to offset the technology whilst interacting with luddite earthlings ;)

Job done, head for pub, discuss smooth tickovers, MPG, knock sensor ideas + Trev's MegaSquirt Android app as a prelude to the winter upgrade season :lol: :lol:

13. danster Forum Addict

9 pages. Pfft! Plenty more shizzle to discuss I reckon. We have split off and got some new clients in the transmission section now. :lol:

What about carbs though? :o
    Luddite they may be, but the rolling road day showed that Hotgolf's engine, fuelled by antique jugs went ok, and was also just as susceptible to the atmospheric conditions as other more advanced forms of technologically equipped vehicles.

14. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

Game on. I'll start with why doesn't my K-Jet 16v start properly? Should I convert to Standalone Mgt to remove this silly problem? Will 2 8v cams fit and are they any better? [:p]

We refer such clients to the Carburettor section :lol:

15. Ben S

Ben S Forum Junkie

[:$] guilty on two runs of experimenting with 1st :lol:

16. Mike_H Forum Addict

I'd blush, except I didn't build it... it was a proper engine built by Dan(?) Turner. I think there's a bit more to come from it too, which is something that needs to be investigated over this summer - a bit of work on the 'butt dyno' and a final fettle with some more sophisticated equipment.

17. ianb Forum Member

Can anyone remember the 8V that TSR built using a cross flowed head with throttle bodies? Reouted to be very frisky.....I will try and get some more details.....had very healthy modded 16V power and big torque!

18. Mike_H Forum Addict

TonyB's 8v on throttle bodies is friskier than a ferret on crack. Close to 200 bhp - See JMR for details ;)

19. prof Forum Addict

so how much would a decent 16v on efi set you back? all in?

2k, 3k?

20. tshirt2k

tshirt2k Forum Junkie

It's the price of an abf engine out of a breaker + management. I reckon. Seen full engines for 350