'90 2l 16v(ABF) mk2 (restoration page9, going megasquirt), mk5 ed30

Discussion in 'Members Gallery' started by beetie, Apr 7, 2007.

1. beetie

beetie Forum Member

Yeah I got them from vw tps but I will go back and get the correct ones. Glad I didn't bother plating them, would have been a waste of time

2. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

ok cool! was more worried you had maybe switched those with others, meaning you has some that were too short somewhere vital :lol:

3. 1990

1990 Paid Member Paid Member

WOW!!! That look fecking awesome!!!!

beetie likes this.
  4. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

forgot to say, if you happen to know the part number on those bolts I can look it up, they may be useful elsewhere lol

5. beetie

beetie Forum Member

I've still got the bag that they came in, so I'll let you know

6. beetie

beetie Forum Member

Got on with a little bit on Sunday, only around 2hours, after having to do some work around the house.
    Wrapped some more loom, this being for the front interior light

[​IMG]

Rear loom going into place

[​IMG]

Steering column in

[​IMG]

G28OPN, afbiker02 and 1990 like this.
  7. beetie

beetie Forum Member

Some goodies turned up. Cost a fair whack, but they are either needed or a lot better than what I have.

[​IMG]

What's in the boxes, well the glass one is obvious. Yes, it's some glass, a front windscreen to be precise. Along with some Sill retaining strips.

In the 2 little boxes, rear polo discs and front 280mm discs

[​IMG]

Leaving the final box housing all new vw big bumper arches, and the sill clips.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

A trip to the scrappy and tps, will see some more much needed parts, on Saturday

G28OPN and blis like this.
  8. beetie

beetie Forum Member

More progress.

Managed to get the rear quarter windows popped into place. The trick, after struggling for a while, was to make sure the bottom seal was seated as far down as possible, inside and out. Then use the Strimmer wire put into the groove to ease the rest over, whilst pressing the window inwards.
    And yes, the window does need a clean

[​IMG]

With both side windows done, I moved into a shiny area, the engine bay next. Look at it shine

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The plan was the wiring. Got it all pretty neat. The earths running through the passenger chassis rail to the battery area, along with the outside mfa temp sensor which diverts to inside the wing.

Will get pics soon, forgot.

The new engine loom will go through the bulkheads biggest hole, running along the water pipe.
    The wiper loom will go straight into the scuttle from inside the car.
    This leaves the engine bay like this for exposed wires, which is far neater than the messy old kr loom.

[​IMG]

Inside is an organised mess. You'll just have to trust me on that one

[​IMG]

9. beetie

beetie Forum Member

Plated some more bits and put some on the car. Plated the tailgate latch, tailgate strut ball joints, and the fuel tank strap bracket

[​IMG]

Might do the bolts now as they look bad against newly plated latch

[​IMG]

Also managed to get both rear lights in after finding the other nuts and new seals.
    Got the rear looking about there, just need to get the other strut on and the window in. Oh, and the wiper, washer and lock, and Central Locking pump[emoji4]

Looks nearly there from the outside though.

[​IMG]

Cleaned up the number plate lenses in washing up liquid. Quick before and after pic

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Put in place the speedo drive cable and the bonnet release cable.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

1990 and blis like this.
  10. beetie

beetie Forum Member

Wiring, wiring and more wiring. Will it ever end.

Hopefully it will be soon. Today's mission was to start on the lighting looms. On a mk2 though they aren't just for the lights.
    So I separated all non light bits, such as the alternator + wire, the washer motor loom and the coolant level loom.

Here is the so called lighting loom below, and I'll (with any luck) have pics of more completed wiring tomorrow

[​IMG]

A big step did happen today, I got the fuel tank bolted up[emoji3]

Had to do a bit of maintainance first, had to solder the wire back on due to rust disintegrating the clip.

[​IMG]

Then had to put new hose clips on. Got stainless ones to avoid rust

[​IMG]

Here's the repainted straps and plated bolts.

[​IMG]

And onto the car

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Managed to get the gear stick selector bolted up after a quick refurb.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 13, 2016
    1990, Nige and blis like this.
  11. blis Forum Member

Nice job, you changed the front gearstick shaft bush, that's going to make it delicious to shift. It's the source of a lot of slop and hard to find gears.

I should have done something about it when getting exhaust done, easy to say with hindsight, now it looks like the elephant man in silicon, but it works :)

12. beetie

beetie Forum Member

I did but, to be honest, I'm not sure if it's made any difference from trying it off the car. We'll see.

13. beetie

beetie Forum Member

Got the gearstick lever bolted up after plating all the bolts. All the waxoil will be clean once I've finished assembly, looks a mess in the pics but it isn't that bad.

[​IMG]

Plated the end of the return line that sits in the engine bay. Was a rusty mess to start with, so I'm pleased with the result

[​IMG]

The rest of the line was covered in dirt and tar.

[​IMG]

A very quick clean with autosmart g101 brought it up a treat. It's a good all purpose cleaner, with a mass of dilution ratios for different jobs. 1part g101 to 10parts water for this.

[​IMG]

Just need to get hold of an 8v feed line, as I'm dumping the accumulator. As it's not needed for megasquirt and it's rotten.

Very nearly finished running the wires. Just the fog lights to alter to get through each corresponding chassis rail, and the drivers side lighting loom.

14. beetie

beetie Forum Member

Didn't think they'd still be available but I managed to get 30mm chassis bungs for the side rail

[​IMG]

Once installed I got on with the wiring. I hope to get this finished in the next couple of days.
    1st off I had to find something suitable to be able to pass the main engine (megasquirt) loom through where I wanted it to go. I had the original bung but it's plastic, and plastic is no good for a wiring loom bung.
    I did have another rubber grommet that I don't need in it's original place, mainly because that one got welded up. This meant I could make something, so make something I did.

Parts at the ready

[​IMG]

Make a hole

[​IMG]

Make it bigger to match the rubber grommet. Dremel it to 45mm diameter

[​IMG]

Now loads of de-pinning the mk3 engine plug and feeding it through. Job done ready for wrapping.

[​IMG]

Alarm fitting tomorrow. Then to make an electric seat loom. Then get ready for the interior.

Toyotec, 1990, jamesa and 1 other person like this.
  15. beetie

beetie Forum Member

Started putting some sound deadening down. STP Gold Aero.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Got more of it to put in, like in the rear quarter.

I also got the sunroof mechanism in.

1990 likes this.
  16. blis Forum Member

Beetie, when I was damping the interior I noticed the upward face where the second exhaust sits lets a lot of sound in from exhaust, might be worth giving it a look and see what you think.

Looking really schmick mate!

17. Nige

Nige Paid Member Paid Member

What are you wrapping the loom with ?

I know it isn`t VW OEM for a MK2, but I`d strongly recommend the Corrugated flexible split conduit. Not only is it easy to use and neat, but you can access the loom to fault find / modify far easier than the wrap or braised stuff.

It`s coming on really well :thumbup:

18. beetie

beetie Forum Member

Using tesa or scapa? tape depending on where it is in the car. I'm not going to wrap the engine side of the engine/megasquirt loom until I know it's all working again.

Might use the conduit in the chassis rails to help protect it[emoji106]

19. Finite

Finite Paid Member Paid Member

Harnessflex is the absolute bizzo, but also very costly if it's utilised to the nth degree.

20. 1990

1990 Paid Member Paid Member

Excellent pics!!!!!! I cant wait to see it with the arches on!!!!