91' Mk2 ABF Digi GTI

Discussion in 'Members Gallery' started by jmsheahan, Oct 24, 2009.

1. jmsheahan CGTI Graphics Designer

Cheers Ian will bare that in mind :thumbup:

Mushy, thanks for your input - I really hope it is cosmetic only. Not sure whether to try and bend it back myself or leave it to the pros? I managed to find a really ratty but straight bonnet in a breakers yesterday along with a slam panel so its a start!

[​IMG]

On a more positive note I nicked this from a mate for the day today - I love this car, it was sat on my drive for about a year with a blown HG but now all fixed up. Its such a laugh to drive! I had some free time on my hands today so did a few jobs on it and generally tidied it up a bit for him.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 10, 2015
  2. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

damage looks pretty minor, just bend it back till the slam fits nicely and you should be away

3. jmsheahan CGTI Graphics Designer

Cheers RJ - just parts searching at the mo. Just in need of a decent genuine wing now.

Didn't post this the other day as the mk2 sort of put a downer on things but I was actually on my way to collect a new addition to the family - time to dabble with boost a little.

Filthy in the only pic I have of it but it does have some nice optional extras such as heated GTI leather seats and 18' Monzas. Ironically it was the cheapest yet tidiest I saw out of three.

Nothing major done with it yet other than a service. Its got a few of the common mk5 faults such as a split DV valve (already replaced, old one fell apart in my hands), a broken passenger door lock and the usual rot appearing on the front arches (being dealt with FOC under VW Warranty).

The thing feels so planted, handles like its on rails but I'm a little underwhelmed with the power if I'm honest, dare I say it its a bit boring?! Remap needs to be on the cards!

[​IMG]

4. skydivebaz

skydivebaz Forum Member

Can't beat a pug 205 even as a golf owner. Mate had one with some Citroen turbo engine in it, it was mental, like warp drive even by my 20v standard.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. jmsheahan CGTI Graphics Designer

Agreed to be honest, its such a fun car to drive. His has solid mounts for the rear beam and decent coilovers on the front. Handles like nothing else I've driven.

6. Plugone New Member

Just read the entire thread :clap:

Gutted to see this happen on the last page, hope its all sorted and back on the road soon !

7. Richard Mk2

Richard Mk2 Paid Member Paid Member

Noooooooooooo :cry:

I must of missed the update. Truly gutted for you, but as said above, it should be ok to bend back. Just the hassle of painting the wing and a new bumper again !

Nice Mk5 GTI there though. They are great cars those. :thumbup: And the Pug 205 GTI looks awesome ;)

All the best on getting the Mk2 fixed back to its former glory.

8. jmsheahan CGTI Graphics Designer

Cheers guys. Wing for the mk2 showed up yesterday, just a grille strip left to go.

I'm pleased with Mk5, I knew it was down on power and now with a horrific boost leak resolved it now goes like it should. Certainly the most 'planted' car I've owned.

9. Sirguydo

Sirguydo Fastest milkman in the West Paid Member

I get my finger out and get your strip [:s]

10. 1990

1990 Paid Member Paid Member

I like it!!! I've been looking at some Mk5's and some of the 3000 ones look just as good as the 11,000 ones. What price range were the 3 you looked at?

11. jmsheahan CGTI Graphics Designer

Yeah I couldn't really tell much of a difference between the 05 and 07 plate cars around the 4-6k mark. The roughest example I saw was 6500 and they would not budge on the price at all despite higher miles, cloth seats and way worse arches than my one. Plus too many doors!

This one was on budget at under 5k :thumbup:

I'd still pick a mk2 over it any day of the week though lol

Last edited: Feb 27, 2015
    1990 likes this.
  12. jmsheahan CGTI Graphics Designer

Gave the Mk5 a wash and wax at the weekend.:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Enjoying it but I want my Mk2 back! Eurocartel (run by two very good mates) did a little photoshoot feature on it back last summer and these shots are motivating me to get it sorted out!

[​IMG][/url]aDSC_0839 by The Chuff, on Flickr[/IMG]

[​IMG][/url]aDSC_0810 by The Chuff, on Flickr[/IMG]

[​IMG][/url]aDSC_0744 by The Chuff, on Flickr[/IMG]

[​IMG][/url]aDSC_0886 by The Chuff, on Flickr[/IMG]

[​IMG][/url]aDSC_0873 by The Chuff, on Flickr[/IMG][url=https://flic.kr/p/nuxPuS]

[img]https://farm3.staticflickr.com/2897/14106562270_40f62642cf_b.jpg[/url]aDSC_0912 by The Chuff, on Flickr[/IMG]

[​IMG][/url]aDSC_0940 by The Chuff, on Flickr[/IMG]

[​IMG][/url]aDSC_0984 by The Chuff, on Flickr[/IMG]

[​IMG]aDSC_0990 by The Chuff, on Flickr

[​IMG]aDSC_0883 by The Chuff, on Flickr

[​IMG]aDSC_0933 by The Chuff, on Flickr

[​IMG]aDSC_0934 by The Chuff, on Flickr

[​IMG]aDSC_0920 by The Chuff, on Flickr

[​IMG]aDSC_0889 by The Chuff, on Flickr

Last edited: Mar 9, 2015
    1990 likes this.
  13. fasteddie

fasteddie Banned

I'm feeling it mate :thumbup:

14. 1990

1990 Paid Member Paid Member

I missed your photo update but WOW!!!! Amazing set of snaps [8D]

15. jmsheahan CGTI Graphics Designer

Back from the bodyshop and looking oh so much better! Few bits left to bolt on but then thats cosmetics done and dusted and I can crack on with some proper mechanical upgrades!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 3, 2018
    afbiker02 likes this.
  16. jmsheahan CGTI Graphics Designer

Not been on here for a while but a few small updates.

Thoroughly enjoyed the Curby CGTI trackday the other week and putting the car through its paces. Car did ok but is in dire need of a new powersteering rack, notchy as hell and ****ing fluid out, but will be resolved soon. A few shots courtesy of Mitch and Stella:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Small little update on something I finished ages ago but only just got around to fitting. I've always wanted a Lenkrad steering wheel - they are an aftermarket wheel but are also fitted on Audi RS2's with a different horn push badge. Problem is, dare I say it, they are pretty rare and when they do come up they cost an arm and leg. I spotted this one on Facebook of all places last year for significantly less...problem was it was properly f**ked... lol

Lots of sanding, filling and airbrushing with a leather dye kit later and I have something that looks reasonable. Not perfect but I'm pretty happy with how it turned out as it was a bit of a gamble! Just deciding if I have a steady enough hand to repaint the emblem.

Before:
    [​IMG]

During:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Finished item:
    [​IMG]

17. copeidge

copeidge Forum Member

Lovely car!! and great work on the wheel! [:D]

18. SimplyEd New Member

Looks great!

19. bootsie Paid Member Paid Member

Good job on the steering wheel, I'm in the middle of some work on my leather seats so I know how fiddly it is to get right.
    What did you use on the engine bay to get it so clean? Tried APC and Megs degreaser on mine, still doesn't look like that.
    What a great looking car - the stance and ride height are perfect. One of the few things I'd swap my Oak Valver for.

20. jmsheahan CGTI Graphics Designer

Thanks for the kind comments guys.

Yeah the steering wheel came out better than I was expecting to be fair, I bought a restoration kit from the furniture clinic. Using an airbrush and diluting the dye is a lot better than sponging it on.

Engine bay was a combo of 'gunk' degreaser, brake cleaner and elbow grease. It's pretty rank again now though haha.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk