A Copper Crashed Into Me!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Ooooops!' started by S1MMA, Nov 22, 2003.

1. S1MMA Forum Member

got the labour quote in for the repair, it's 700. Couple that with the parts:

Front Panel
    Coolant
    Radiator
    OSF Headlamp
    NSF Headlamp
    Front Bumper
    Grille
    Bonnet Lock
    Number Plate
    NSF Fog Lamp (and reflector/indicator)
    OSF Fog Lamp (and reflector/indicator)
    Bulbs
    Sealer
    Clips

and thats just the estimate, more stuff could potentially be buggered.

Anyone wanna price that lot up? At VW RRP prices?

Don't think it's enough to write it off, but the wheels are sitting in my garage at the moment. Took them off for the repairs (safe option).

2. 1990

1990 Paid Member Paid Member

A very wise move!

3. NoFearKid Banned

thats bad luck man

whats up with us all crashing lately!!

hey 1990 i used b&q flashing tape. very cheap and it done the job great, sounds like a mk4 when i shut the door now!

i think i might do under the carpet next

4. 1990

1990 Paid Member Paid Member

I fancy ripping out everything and doing it all, especially the bulkhead and doors. I just fancy a bit of luxury now at my age.

5. S1MMA Forum Member

yeah, thats the stuff, B&Q flashing tape. Light and good enough quality. I did my whole floor from driver/passgener seat to the back of the boot and bootlid. When I drive with my parcel shelf out, it doesnt make the road noise any louder any more!

6. mincecfc2 Forum Member

What a total f**ker ! Gutted for you, it's a lovely car.

My advice - get a good lawyer to shag 'em right up the shi++er.

f**king [:@)]s - it's long been my opinion that when their cars go over 30mph, the flashing lights and siren should come on automatically.

7. S1MMA Forum Member

Right, I just checked the value of my car on Parkers, and it came up with:

Year / Reg Original Price Dealer Retail

1996 / N13769 ;3730&nbsp ;

Private Good Private PoorTrade;

3275; 2315; 2 685

So if I class mine as private good, it's worth 3275 with 70000miles, which is what it's got on the clock.
    Obviously, it's got air con/ Full black leather/ it's Black/ mint A1 refirbed alloys, full VW service history/ no mods apart from a SS exhaust, which would mean it's worth more than 3200 for a standard example with no extra's. Coupled with the fact that Golf Gti's are desiralbe cars, I'd say it is worth more than 4000. BUT, the repair guy I spoke to said the insurance company would write it off if there is more damage than 60% of the cars value.

If they use parkers, then 60% of 3200 is 1920. The bill is going to be about 2200+ for the repairs.

Do you guys think they'll write it off? If they do, can I buy it back off them, how does all that stuff work? How much will it be to buy???

Thx.
    Edited by: S1MMA

8. S1MMA Forum Member

I found this example on autotrader:

1998 R Reg Volkswagen Golf 2.0 GTi
    Manual 5 speed, Mystic Blue Metallic, Hatchback, 67,000 miles , 5 Doors. ABS, Air Bag, Air-Conditioning, alarm class I, Alloy Wheels, boardcomputer, Central Door Locking, Driver Air Bag, Electric Adjustable Mirror, Front Fog Lights, Power-Assisted Steering, radio/cassette, Sports Seats, Warranty. 5,250.

It's newer than mine, similar milage, no leather, and 5 door, up for 5250, so I recon mine is worth 4000 easy. Similar examples are similar prices, will the insurance take this into account?

9. WEZ

Wez Official Friday thread starter

pretty sure you can buy it back off them.
    is the bodyshop your own place or recommended by them?
    if they write it off- buy it back then take it to another place if it's cheaper!

10. WEZ

ring your insurers up and ask them their policy on how they work out the costs.
    you usually supply them with your own estimate of what the car is worth when you get a quote for insurance.
    and will say on your policy- how much does it say it's valued at?
    worth finding out if that's private or trade value, some insurers give you trade price but most give private price.
    this is why people get insurance with agreedd valuation.......

anyways- doesnt look like 2200 quids worth of damage,mental price!
    Edited by: driver

11. S1MMA Forum Member

sheesh, it's cool (apparantly). I just got a call from the repairer, and he said the insurance assessor just called him to 'OK' the job. So I guess the car was worth more than 60% of the job (or aroundabout that figure).

I'm very interested in the Agreed valuation, I put down the approx value of my car when I was quoted for insurance, and they asked me again when I had the accident, but that isnt agreed, its approx.

How do I get an agreed policy, do I have to specifically ask for it? Does it cost any more?

12. WEZ

don't know mate!
    why- hope your not planning on crashing again! [:s]

13. prep boy New Member

Hold on, somebody please explain to me what B&Q flashing tape is...what its originl purpose...what to use it on...where I can get it and... why sould I get it.

Sounds beneficial.

14. S1MMA Forum Member

Driver, the quote for labour on the job is 700, and the parts bill is on the other page. It consists of 2 new headlights, 2 new foglights (which would be 500 on their own wouldnt they?), then a new bumper/radiator/grille/front splitter,and the paint/coolent/etc.....

It will be around 2000, maybe a bit more or a bit less. The paintshop said 2200 probably to cover himself if anything else is buggered.

15. S1MMA Forum Member

took the car in yesturday, and got a Citroen C3 1.4lx courtesy car.

WHAT A PILE OF DOG SICK.

I can't get comfortable in it, driving position is so crap. The gear stick is too low, the clutch bites too high, the seat is too flat (no side support at all), steering is too light, I sit too high up.... ETC.

God, I feel sorry for people who have to drive those sort of cars every day. I tried chucking it round some corners (it handles ok considering it's on 165's) and I nearly ended up sitting in the passenger seat cos the seat has no support at all. Everyone mocks the mk3 8v gti, but believe me compared to this C3 it's like driving nirvana. I cant wait to get the mk3 back!

At least it will have a nice new front end, with no stonechips.

Anyone know anything about that clear film that protects paint from chips/etc...? I know it's a bit gay, but unless you have a dark mk3 gti, you wont know how easy it is to pebble dash the front end (grille/bumper/bonnet) after a few motorway miles.

16. Mike 8v Forum Member

I was in a similar position to you S1MMA in June.An old c*nt in a Fiesta crashed into the back of my '97 R 8v and I thought it would be borderline as to whether they would repair it or not.I asked the assessor about the 60% 'rule' and he said he was authorised to repair a car up to 100% of its value, as if they wrote off every car using the 60% rule then they would lose too much money.

Incidentally the repair on mine cost 3200 which according to Parkers more than 60% of the value of my car.

17. S1MMA Forum Member

I see where the logic is in repairing a car upto 100% of its value, as otherwise aren't you losing money as an insurance company?

I'm going to ask about an agreed value policy in future, just incase something like this happens again. I'd be well pi55ed off if my insurance company wanted to write me a cheque for 3200-3500 for my car!

18. Mike 8v Forum Member

That's why I'm glad they didn't write mines off as I wouldn't have got what it's worth.

Get a claim in for whiplash as well.

19. S1MMA Forum Member

got an appointment to see my Doctor today, which is my dad, but have to see him at the surgery.

I have developed pain on the right side of my neck, stiff neck in the morning as well. See how it goes.

20. Mike 8v Forum Member

I'm still waiting for my claim to be settled.Its only been 6 months!!!!