A Copper Crashed Into Me!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Ooooops!' started by S1MMA, Nov 22, 2003.

1. S1MMA Forum Member

what happened to you then mate? How much u looking to get for the whiplash?

2. Mike 8v Forum Member

I saw my doctor about 3 days after the crash complaining about sore neck/back and chest.He put me on painkillers and I was off work for just over a week with a doctors line.
    There has been a lot of fannying about with the claim between my lawyer and the other guys insurers.I spoke to my lawyer yesterday and they said they are waiting to hear back from them with an offer.

I've been told you get a minimum 1000 for whiplash etc but I will believe it when then cash is in my hand.

Get the claim in mate as even 500 is better than a poke in the eye.

3. G60Sanj New Member

Mate, make sure that you demand to see the CCTV footage, you have a right as you were personally involved in the incident. Or at the very least ask to be present at the first viewing of the footage. Coppers have a bad habit of sticking up for their own! Wouldn't it be very surprising if the reply was that nothing was caught on the CCTV camera!

Also, make an official complaint on the copper and try to get him done for reckless driving, lets hope the C**t looses his licence!

They screw us for everything there is, lets hope we get our own back now, through your unfortunate incident!

Best of luck mate and please make sure that you keep us informed.

4. S1MMA Forum Member

G60sanj, I already tried the council for the CCTV, and they said that the only people that can view it are the police. I have instructed my insurance company to write a letter to the council asking for the tape to be independantly reviewed and reported, so that will be done.

I know what u mean about the coppers sticking up for their own, I'm sure they'll try to get out of it somehow. Have to stick at it and see what happens. They said if their investigation finds the copper at fault, they'll prosecute him.

5. Admin Guest

testicles! under the data protection act you can't be recorded with out seeing a copy of the tape.

6. 800gallons Forum Member

unless you are commiting a crime

7. S1MMA Forum Member

Right, update:

Coppers came round to my house and took a full statement from me. They've also taken one from the copper involved and they have seen the CCTV evidence.

The sergent told me the CCTV shows the copper approaching with his blue lights on, and told me that the copper actually approached from a side road, which is completely blind to me. So, he had his lights on, but I couldnt see them cos the road he was coming from was completely out of my vision (near the blind spot). Copper says he was travelling slowly, then stopped infront of me. They don't think he was in the wrong, and it's going to go to a police board for the evidence to be examined. Basically, they're pushing for a 50/50 claim, and I dont think they're going to admit liability. Which is really going to f*ck me, I've had to pay a 500 excess, and I'm going to lose my 2 years no claims, and I have a claim to my name now. Fuc*ing great.

Consolation: the car is fixed, and looking good. Got the smoked front lenses and fogs on, and it's nice to had a stone chip free front end for the mo! That'll last about 3 days on a black mk3 though...

check the pics:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. maverickxxx Forum Member

What a bunch of t**sers the neds are. Full of shi*e and imagine trying to weedle out of it. You are the one who will probably loose out and your insurance will go up as a result of a whinnie wee polis min who should admitt that it was his fault. Cause the polis would take the flack anyway i think. [:s] Not HIS insurance [:@)]y gets.
    Edited by: maverickxxx

9. S1MMA Forum Member

agreed, it's not like they're going to be losing out that much even if they do admit liability. They must have so many claims in 1 year, that another fault claim isnt going to do hardly sh1t to them. But to a new graduate looking for a job like me, I have to pay 500 excess, then lose my 2 years ncb, which is going to screw my insurance for the next 2 years, etc...

Police have made a mistake if they think i'm not going to fight them though. I'll take them the whole way.

10. Admin Guest

he just had his lights on? no sirens?

gets! [:x]

11. spacka_horror Forum Member

Light bounces off surfaces anyway so I would have thought you'd have seen at least a reflection of it if he had them on. Any word from the independant assessors who viewed the tape?

12. S1MMA Forum Member

he actually came from a completely blind road, he couldnt see me and I couldnt see him till we were about 8 metres apart, and even then he was in my blind spot. It was a busy junction at about 00.30 in the rain also, and I didn't see any reflections or anything till he was basically coming straight for me.

I'm usually very good in spotting flashing blue lights, I always pull over or give way immediately. Usually I'm the first person to see the lights coming from behind me, pull over, then get overtaken by about 6 cars who dont have a f*cking clue whats going on, then they realise at the last second and pull over.

The independant report hasnt been sent to my insurance company yet as far as I know.

13. Golfgirl Forum Member

How fast was he going? Because as an ambulance driver, I always crawl through red lights because there's always someone that hasn't seen you. If he was going hell for leather then that's bad/dangerous driving on his part. At the end of the day, you were going through a green light and he was going through a red light so should have approached with more caution.

As for use of the sirens, if it was at 00:30 then sirens are forbidden unless necessary, just like horns.

Edited by: Golfgirl

14. S1MMA Forum Member

I cant really say how fast he was going, but it was fast enough for him to not be able to stop in time when approaching my side of the road. I'd say probably about 20mph or so. remember this is going straight across about 5 lanes of road from a blind road.

Usually when emergency vehicles approach blind junctions, they slow to a near standstill and make sure nothing is blocking or coming across the junction. This copper didnt do that, he just bowled across all the lanes and stopped in front of me in lane number 4 of 5.

I'll be fuming if I lose this case. Just minding my own business pulling away gently from a set of lights, could cost me over 1000 in 1 year alone. Just what I need when looking for a job eh!

15. Admin Guest

well i'd be holding out for total liabilty on their part. why should you have to take some of the blame?

16. Golfgirl Forum Member

That's what I was trying to say :)If he wasn't approaching with enough caution then he was driving dangerously. And for him not to be able to stop before he got to the 4th lane that you were in then he must have been going too fast!

17. 1990

1990 Paid Member Paid Member

:clap:

18. Funkyfin2000 Forum Addict

what w**kers, i hope you get them dude....get all u can off em!!!

19. Guests Banned

It makes me sick how all the coppers seem to get off almost all car crashes/incidents, even when they are at fault. Even if they are at fault, they will not admit to it.

It is all aload of crap, and i feel for you, i really do!

20. gti3_20 Forum Member

Can't you put an official complaint to some government agency or something saying that you have reason to believe that the case is not being delt with fairly and you want an independant inquiry or something?