ABF 16v engine + ZXR750 bike carbs into mk2 1.6 driver

Discussion in '16-valve' started by geneticmaterial, Jun 22, 2010.

1. geneticmaterial

geneticmaterial Forum Member

what 1.8 or 2 litre 16v engine (running on bike carbs) and gearbox will drop into a mk2 1.6 driver with no mods to mounts and will run mainly off the driver loom?

Last edited: Apr 10, 2011
  2. Richard Mk2

Richard Mk2 Paid Member Paid Member

None really. With any conversion you need the whole engine loom.

Only things which can stay is your headlight loom, waher bottle motor loom, ect...

I had to change the whole engine loom on my 1.8 Driver when i put the 1.8 GTi 8v engine in... :thumbup:

3. geneticmaterial

yeah thought so
    regretting the sale of my KR engine and full loom now...
    ..now I have the space

4. Jolfa

Jolfa Forum Junkie

To run on bike carbs all you need is the spark controller loom, which is practically f*ck all, and any trasverse 16v will fit in with no change to the mounts - KR, ABF, 9a or you can get a 6a or ACE and you just need to swap the brackets on the engine to 1.8 Golf ones :)

5. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

yeah as above, drops on the old mounts and you need just the 16v ign controller loom, which requires no wires to the fusebox to run. you need an electric fuel pump and some way to control it safely, the 16v ign loom has a red/yellow wire which is the fuel relay earth trigger so you could use that. alternatively certain bike carbs control the pump directly so if you match the pump and carbs together its all good.

I would replace all 3 engine mounts while the engine is out though, replace the rear with a 16v/G60 item, and the front and box with bonded rubber 1.3 mounts.

edit: this is the 16v ign loom and how to fit:
    [​IMG]

1 - Earth to battery -ve
    2 - KR ign controller plug
    3 - TCI-H plug
    4 - Black - KR ign controller & TCI-H ign live - terminal 15 side of coil
    5 - Green - Coil trigger - terminal 1 side of coil
    \- red/black - spade is for the isv control unit, the main wire is the rev counter feed
    6 - Brown - Earth to cylinder head
    7 - Blue/white - Temp sensor feed (use one of the 3 on the side of the head)
    8 - Dizzy plug
    9 - red/yellow - Fuel pump relay earth trigger
    \- black/yellow - idle switch feed (12v feed with throttle shut)

6. geneticmaterial

ok so would just need the 16v ign controller loom and use the rest of the driver loom for everything else?

7. Jolfa

Jolfa Forum Junkie

That's exactly what we're saying, yes.

8. geneticmaterial

easiest seems to be an already mated abf block and head and gbox,

would I use the shafts that came with the abf and use mk2 16v hubs etc?

9. danster Forum Addict

What year and engine size is your driver? It may have the larger 100mm inner cv joints on the driveshafts already. The mk3 drivershafts are longer than the mk2 ones and have a different outer cv joint too so not usable unless going to widetrack and 5 stud.
    The ABF engine is normally fitted to an 02A cable change box and this would require the gear selector cables and stick, as well as the hydro clutch conversion. A fair old bit of work.
    You could just fit your 020 gearbox to the ABF engine by changing the flywheel and clutch.
    A GTI 020 box would give shorter sportier gear ratios than the std carb / driver box, and if your current shafts are 100mm, they would mate to the gti box ok.

As you are going bike carbs this simplifies the wiring a lot as mentioned previously.
    I have a 16v ignition loom and ecu here if you decide to go ahead with this.

10. geneticmaterial

It's an '89, 1600. I think it is a 4+e too, unsure if that is different to a driver[:s] which inner joints/shafts do I have?

Basically I want to keep this as simple as possible so no cable 'box, no hydraulic clutch etc.

So I should use 020 from a GTI from a Mk3 GTI 8v?

And use which clutch and fly?

Last edited: Jul 8, 2010
  11. adam611 Forum Member

You will probabley have to get GTI 100mm driveshafts & cv joints, my 91 driver only has 90mm driveshafts. It is possible to swap the output flanges on the GTI 020 for the ones from your driver so you could keep runing the driver shafts & CV's, not sure how good an idea that is though!

I wolud use the GTI flywheel and clutch as they are bigger, again you could use the driver clutch & flywheel but im not sure how it would cope with the extra power.

Hope that helps:thumbup:

12. rubjonny

aye 1.6 will have 90mm shafts. either use your old gearbox or fit a MK1 GTI box as they have short ratios and 90mm shafts. the 1.6 GTI box has mental ratios and make a 16v go like the clappers! not so good for economy though. If it was you I'd fit a GTI box of some kind then swap the E gear into it from the old box, you need all the help you can get for economy with carbs. Plus e will give you a mental top speed :thumbup:

If you fit a MK2 GTI box you'll also need the shafts to go with it, quite a few VAG cars have suitable shafts as well, Corrado and SEAT Ibiza right up to the 2000 models, just gotta make sure the car has an 020 or 02a box on it and is 4 stud.

as above fit a 1.8 210mm flywheel as the ABF will need the larger clutch, get it off a GTI if you can then the timing marks will be in the right spot. if you get a carby one its not a big problem though the haynes tells you where to make a new mark for 6deg BTDC.

Last edited: Jul 8, 2010
  13. geneticmaterial

Okay cool, think I'm understanding!

I know it isn't ideal and it will struggle to cope but in the meantime whilst I sort which box I want to use I could just whack on the old carby box and shafts? EDIT and clutch, fly etc.. also.......... EDIT is the 1.6 carby box AWY code?

and then use say an 020 or a 2y etc...

The only reason I'm askin this is that it needs to the quickest out and in job as possible as I'm using garage space in the house I'm staying in at the mo!

14. rubjonny

its not that your old box will struggle to cope,m its actually just as strong as any other 020 box you could care to bolt on. its only the ratios that are poor in comparison to a GTI box. 90mm shafts yeah they're smaller but they should be fine, if anything is gonna blow up it'll be the diff :lol:

tbh you'll have a ton more torque than you do now so it should cope fine with the ratios, just wont feel quite as nippy as it will with a gti box. still, its gonna be better than it is now ;)

definitely replace your clutch and flywheel with a 210mm one though, but its no big deal this can be done with the engine in the garage anyway. You need a MK2 GTI 8v clutch kit to retain your old box.
    I'd also replace the front and side coolant flanges, the rocker cover gasket and the thermostat and flange. the thermostat flange is wrong for a MK2 anyway so either way that'll want doing, you could risk swapping the old 1.6 one on but they like to warp so I'd buy new.

FYI 2Y is the box code for a MK2 16v, its still an 020 box though :)

15. geneticmaterial

Yeah sorry I wrote that wrong, 020 is the casing isn't it and the 2y just refers to the mk2 16v internals!?

Will probably be best and easiest overall to just have the GTI box clutch and fly already to bolt on to the ABF when I pick it up and drop it all in together then?

16. danster Forum Addict

The early mk1 gearbox does not have the provision for mounting the mk2 gearbox mount to the box. ie the 3 long 8mm bolts that go through the diff housing.
    TBH any mk2 GTI 020 box will be best suited as it has decent ratios and will have the larger 100mm output flanges which you should really be using with the increase in power that the new engine will have.
    Got a pair of mk2 GTI shafts in the shed too if you go this way.:thumbup:

17. rubjonny

good point, clicky:
    http://www.brokevw.com/020mount.html

I doubt the 90mm c/vs will fail even with ABF power though, but its worth doing if only so you have a wider range of newer gearboxes to choose from. short term, use the driver box then go mk2 gti w/100mm shafts later, or 02a if you want something even better

18. geneticmaterial

best to find a rear ended written of GTI then. or breaker with full running gear.
    Would the mk3 gti 8v be better?

19. rubjonny

MK3 is widetrack so unless you want widetrack its no good to you. also the gti will be 5 stud, but if you wanted to go wide the 4 stud MK3s are still widetrack. 4 stud models will be less likely to be abused as well, just make sure its from a car with the 020 gearbox, and not the lowly diesel model as that had 90mm cvs. TD is fine as are the 1.8 petrol models. Oh and MK3 Cabrios, even the ones with 2.0 are still 4 stud usually

in your shoes id be down scrappy, rob the 100mm shafts off a late ibiza as they'll be in great nick.

ive got mk3 widetrack in my mk2 and its great, but its around 16-18mm wider per side so if you have low offset wheels they wont fit!

20. geneticmaterial

cool, also on the shopping list are the carbs, I know they'll need rejetting but what's the best combo for the ABF?
    Also would it better getting newer or older carbs?