ABF - more performance - next stage..

Discussion in '16-valve' started by BG16v, Mar 16, 2009.

1. gazmk2 Forum Member

mk3's aren't that heavy are they?

2. Matt82

Matt82 Forum Addict

1220-1270kg on the road weight

3. azur Forum Member

They are not as heavy as everyone thinks.

Kerb weight is about 1120 kg for a mk3 16v 3 door which is about 120 kg more than late Mk2 16v's

The vw figure of 1245kg for a Mk3 valver is ready for the road, which when i asked VW means a driver (80 kg ish) tank of fuel (40 kg ish) and oil/washer liquid etc (5 kg) so that seems about right

Im trying to find some mk2's and mk1's near me to get them all on the farm weighbridge which would be interesting

4. G60Dub

G60Dub Forum Member

...for a 16V.

5. Matt82

Matt82 Forum Addict

the figure i gave is weighbridge weight. we had to do that to make gtech accurate.

but thats with fluids, all of them and stuff in the boot etc

6. G60Dub

G60Dub Forum Member

Full tank Matt?

AC or sunroof?

I'd be interested in kerb weight of a 3 door with AC, spare wheel, half or full tank etc...

I'll be rooting for a GTECH from Santa

Incidentally the figures you quoted are exactly the same as the upper and lower weight limits from the Golf manual.

EDIT: Just ahd another look I'm being a numpty [:$] - Quoted 1240 for a 2 door ABF and 1270 for a 4 door ABF with the relative VR being 45KG heavier.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2009
  7. Mike_H Forum Addict

Ooh, I seem to have sparked a debate here... :lol:

Carfolio has it at about 1100 for the Mk3 vs 960 for the Mk2. In practice, both cars are a bit heavier, with fluids, etc. You'd have to do some serious lightening to get a Mk3 down to that level (the Mk2 weight).

Even so, that gives a difference of 14.5% of the Mk2's weight, or 20 ish bhp equivalent (ignoring drag). Obviously, being lighter also helps with cornering, braking, mechanical wear, tyre wear, etc.

Where's this weighbridge? I'd love to bring my Mk2 Scirocco along, before I start lightening it, and then again afterwards.

8. Matt82

Matt82 Forum Addict

mine has a sunroof, no ac, no spare wheel and it was just under a full tank (about a gallon missing)

at 1240kg gtech said i got to 60 in 6.6 lol

9. BG16v Paid Member Paid Member

Le car..

[​IMG]

would straight to throttle bodies be a bit daft?

10. azur Forum Member

Not sure about that matt lol

you need about 160+ bhp per ton to get mid 6's...aka clio 182's.. which for your weight (1240) would mean your on the good side of 200 bhp :lol:

best i've ever done is 7.2 with my tuned lump. If its abt 170bhp and if the weight was 1140kg for my 5 door thats just under 150 bhp per ton which sounds about right if a standard mk2 16v is 142 bhp per ton.

Weighbridge is about 40 mins south of the M25, off the M23 mike. its on a neighbouring farm so usually have to pay the guy a tenner.

Some of these websites are never that accurate. carfolio reckons the mk3 8v is 1140kg and the 16v is 1100kg!?

parkers reckons the s3 225 is 1050kg too :lol:

Thats a lush looking car mate ^^

11. Matt82

Matt82 Forum Addict

whether or not its accurate (i wouldnt bet money on it) it shows me that ive knocked 0.6s of the 60 time since this and that was changed.

you at the spring festival?

wanna chase? [:D]

12. azur Forum Member

where and when is that? Would be quite fun.

My new flywheel and clutch will be on soon me hopes. Was delayed as i broke my locking wheel nut :lol:

13. Matt82

Matt82 Forum Addict

29th march i think, santa pod, which conveniently has a perfectly straight 1/4 mile strip of tarmac [:D]

14. Mike_H Forum Addict

I'm not sure you'd get much benefit from ITB's on a standard ABF, if it's already been remapped, and you'd lose some of the driveability. Headwork increased compression, and mild cams are probably the way to go.

What are you going to do with the car though? It looks a bit too low for driving on anything except a very flat surface, and stretched tyres won't help the handling, or the traction under power.

15. BG16v Paid Member Paid Member

Ride is fine but the front tyres do need changing. Not much traction as it is. I mentioned throttle bodies as when it was mapped Dave at Emerald suggested them - i think he just loves the noise!

I may have to put a little call into that place you suggested. Any reason why you recommended them? Are they the only option?

Slight tangent but in your opinion would it make more long term sense to save up and turbo charge? Normally aspirated BHP seems so expensive for relatively small gains.

Intrigued about the weight claims on here. I thought a mk2 weighed in at around 1100kg rather than the 1000kg some are suggesting.

16. Mike_H Forum Addict

It's been a long day, but I don't think I recommended anywhere - what were you thinking of?

A Mk2, with a driver and a tank of fuel, would be about 1100kg, so both numbers are about right, in their own way.

If you want straight line speed then a turbo will win hands down. If you want something more controllable for trackdays, or other driving round corners, I'd stick with NA power, and bear in mind that it's not just BHP that makes a car go faster.

17. BG16v Paid Member Paid Member

ah, I was referring to the head firm you reccomended.

btw cheers for all the advice!

18. Mike_H Forum Addict

I didn't recommend a head firm, as far as I can remember. Other people did.

19. BG16v Paid Member Paid Member

Any reason why you recommended that particular head firm?

cheers!

20. Mike_H Forum Addict

Given his recent results, I'd put an order in with MrHillclimber!

Which head supplier you choose, is down to budget, location, and who's been recommended to you, at the end of the day.

I rang up a head supplier that was recommended in this thread, and they didn't know there were 3 different types of casting for a VW 16v head, and couldn't tell me which one flows best.