Ajq in a mk2

Discussion in 'Mk2' started by Adrian-mk2, May 16, 2023.

1. Adrian-mk2 New Member

I’m picking up the engine Saturday it’s an Ajq from a mk1 TT I’m getting harness and ecu. I’ve ask for throttle pedal but seller doesnt have it . Is there anything I should look out for or try and get from the guy? I’ve seen he is also breaking a mk4 tdi golf would that throttle pedal work?
    And how much are people charging to get Ecu immobiliser deleted?
    And cost of someone else doing the wiring loom? It’s a ce2 golf. I’ll probably do it myself but good to know how much people who do it often charge.
    I know I need engine mounts etc
    Might be a cheap ass and try and use the 020 box I already have see how long it lasts

Thanks in advance

2. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

no the diesel pedals wont work, you need a petrol one. if he has a petrol mk4 ask for the section of loom from pedal to the blue plug as well it'll help when it comes time to make loom. get yourself a diagnostics port and I tap in the clutch pedal as well so grab one and the plug. brake switch i put in as well but you can fool the ecu into thinking its not pressed, though if you want cruise control or launch control you need it

loom prices vary by builder so you just need to shop around once you know exactly how much work you want doing. like you could have interior and headlight looms fixed up at the same time though that would be extra ofc

I would just skip the 020 idea, may as well do it right while the car is in bits rather than give yourself a load of extra hassle down the line

3. Adrian-mk2 New Member

I’ll have a look and see if the tt the engine came from is still in his yard and try and grab what I can from it. You think
    Clutch switch+harness or is that in the engine loom?
    brake switch from the tt? or can I use existing one guess I’d have to splice that into the current car harness aswell?
    diag harness
    Won’t want cruise control
    can you do launch control on standard ecu? Don’t think I’ll want launch control either to be fair traction control will be more helpful

4. dodgy

dodgy Paid Member Paid Member

Mk4 diesel gearbox gave great ratios on 15 inch wheels, and cost £90 shipped off ebay, and had 100mm cups already.
    Looms seem to be about 280 to 300 ish at the moment.
    Boost fabrication sell gearbox and front mounts if can't find second hand ones.

Clutch switch stops rev hang on the engine even stopping at traffic lights etc, had switch break on polo and it would idle at 1200 then slowly drop to 850 ish normal when came to a halt.
    Mk4 brake switch fits a mk2, but think 2 version? Over to @rubjonny on that one, colours designated early/late fitment???

I'll see if have the links still if want the bits to convert the later box to cable clutch, like the Seat had, but cheaper than the epytec kit.

5. dodgy

dodgy Paid Member Paid Member

6. Adrian-mk2 New Member

Which gearbox codes would I want out of a diesel mark 4? Seen one on eBay euh? I’d do pedal box swap aswell if I change the gearbox

7. rubjonny

diagnostics port, cluch and brake all on the interior harness so you need to get inside to grab those. the clutch+brake do plug into the engine harness directly, but tbh I never bother with the coloured plugs for that just splice to the loom direct. if you're already in there for the pedal loom though could grab the switch wiring back to the plugs as well while there though. no self respecting loom builder will ever complain that you gave him too much length or too many plugs :lol:

there are loads of 4 pin MK4 brake switch part numbers but they all come back to the same part just revisions, I would buy it new though as they have a complicated self adjust mech inside which can fail around now is about the time they start to wear out if original. but if you're not bothered about cruise or launch control then you can skip the brake switch, you just put live to one pin and earth the other then ecu is happy.

clutch switch people often report revs hang between gears, at the very least can run the wire up behind fusebox then its easy to add later. these are pretty reliable as its just a simple switch inside. pinch off any mk4 donor and it'll fit to your pedal box with a slight modification to the hole, just copy the brake switch hole

1.3 clutch cable is all you can get, usually have to mod it to work. bracket is dead easy to makle yourself tbh, and you can adapt the design so the 1.3 cable fits striaght on. main thing is mock it up with shift tower in as it gets pretty close to the bracket. More info and piccies in here:
    https://clubgti.com/forums/index.ph...art-numbers-with-clutch-cable-bracket.107068/

dodgy likes this.
  8. rubjonny

9. Adrian-mk2 New Member

How can I load photos into here, the guy selling the engine has sent me pictures of what I’m getting, just want to load them up and if you guys can let me know if I’m missing a load of bits. Don’t want to buy it and then have to spend 100s on little bits

10. rubjonny

once you have 10 posts you can upload photos direct to the forum :)

forgot to say if you can get the 10 or 14 pin plug where the main sensor loom plugs into the main engine bay loom if you can. a good loom builder will probably have spares unless he has run out, but as I say no loom builder will ever moan if you give him too many plugs :thumbup:

11. Adrian-mk2 New Member

12. Adrian-mk2 New Member

It throned upon

13. Adrian-mk2 New Member

To cheat

14. rubjonny

:lol: I've just upgraded your account

15. Adrian-mk2 New Member

16. Adrian-mk2 New Member

17. Adrian-mk2 New Member

IMG_3366.jpeg Just noticed this in the pictures guess the all the Fusebox end chopped off?

18. rubjonny

ok so the cut bit looks to be on the main bay harness which has headlight plugs, fan controller and such where it goes inside the car at the firewall, if so no problem as you dont need anything on the main loom except the 10/14 pin plug I mentioned earlier.

the 2 ecu loom sections are seperate pieces, so long as those arent cut you;re good to go just grab the accelerator pedal + loom & clutch switch from a mk4 or mk4 based car and a diagnostics port from anything post 96 then your loomy guy will have everything he needs

19. Adrian-mk2 New Member

20. Adrian-mk2 New Member

Ok thank you for your help. I will have a look tomorrow when I pick it up. Are these the engine harness connectors I’d be splicing too