Another project I don't need

Discussion in 'Members Gallery' started by Lukeybabes, Jun 5, 2015.

1. Lukeybabes Forum Member

Hey, I did that because people say to use the g60 engine rear bracket with the 20v engine on a mk2 subframe (g60 bracket is just 11mm longer than a standard one), with a combination of rubber mounts from other models to get the engine sitting right and level in the engine bay. Im still not sure if I will need a seat ibiza brake master cylinder to get it to fit properly. I've been told I will and I won't so we will see.

I think you need to use a corrado front cross member to use the mk3 golf mounts? So that could be your problem?

2. twolitrepinto Forum Member

Hmmm definately a possibility, but anything with corrado in the title has added tax attached.

As i already have a custom front mount, and a new front mount bracket that i need to adapt to bolt to an 02J, I think i will just renew my 2 rear mounts so they sit as they should, then make the front bracket up so that naturally lines up to my existing front mount.

i had to push the engine backwards to get the front one to drop in...

will definately look into the rado carrier differences though cheers.

3. Trev16v

Trev16v Paid Member Paid Member

I think I might have a Corrado 16V cross member in the garage if pictures or measurements are needed.

twolitrepinto likes this.
  4. fasteddie

fasteddie Banned

Get the seat ibiza/ford focus brake master cylinder mate ..tis the job see my topic's :thumbup:

Corrado cross member is the same as the mk2 only with a steering fluid cooler

5. Finite

Finite Paid Member Paid Member

They fit in the space well, but the larger M/C piston degrades the brake performance unless matched with an equivalent front piston increase like Nige's 6 pot HiSpecs.

fasteddie likes this.
  6. Lukeybabes Forum Member

I never new the seat one was a larger piston? Something to watch out for. Would defiantly rather use the one i have then as I'm using the g60 callipers.

7. G28OPN Forum Member

Enjoyed reading this. Lots of useful info. :thumbup:

8. Lukeybabes Forum Member

Thanks! Should get some stuff done on this at the weekend. I'm excited to get cracking again!

9. G28OPN Forum Member

Best of luck with it. :thumbup:

10. Lukeybabes Forum Member

Now that my 16v has finally sold and gone I have started prepping this to come inside. I think I took it a bit far as I jet washed the inside after stripping out all the wiring and dash. Not that stripping the wiring mattered anyway because the rubber wire covering was full of water. Will have to strip all that off now.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Did the underside too

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Did the heater flaps while I was drying out.

[​IMG]

And I also offered up the Corrado pedal box to see how far out the previous owners attempt was. Hmmm

[​IMG]

11. twolitrepinto Forum Member

with the bulkhead, i fluffed mine up the first time (not using rado pedal box.)
    I had to move it up half a hole which reulted in a mess. in the end i chopped out a square of the mk3 bulkhead and welded it in to get some strength back.

12. Lukeybabes Forum Member

That might be an idea. I'm gonna try and just cut a square out first and weld in a new flat bit to cut the new holes in. Probably wont be really tidy but doesn't matter that much.

13. BISSONE Forum Member

Looks like he chewed that hole out with his teeth man!

14. Lukeybabes Forum Member

Lol yeah, not sure how anyone thinks thats a good enough job.

Glued the dash heater channels back together. I think this is like the 6th dash I've done All of them the same bit has started to separate.

[​IMG]

Finite likes this.
  15. Lukeybabes Forum Member

Car will be rolling inside tomorrow. Very exciting. Dug out the front suspension so I can make it a 2 man job to just lift the rear end and roll the front

[​IMG]

And I got a bit of a bargain on some out of date Motordrive seats and TRS harnesses. What I'm using as the passenger seat isn't the best condition, it is missing the lower seat pad and has a name embroidered on it but can't complain for the money.

[​IMG]

16. Lukeybabes Forum Member

I thought I'd remove the embroidered name from the passenger seat (sorry Zoe). Took a while to pick out all the threads but I got it done. And I took the covers off and chucked them in the washing machine while I was at it. They look loads better now.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Then I went to do what I should have been doing, Moving the car inside. Mounted the front suspension on it and then got a friend to help me lift the back. Way easier than I expected.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I thought I might as well do at least one thing while I was down there, instead of being lazy and just going home. So I cut off the rear turret to fix the rust. Mad a bit of a mess on the lower edge as I missed a spot weld. Not too bad though. Will make it a lot easier to fix the rust.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

17. Lukeybabes Forum Member

I'm cracking on with this. Feels like I'm making a lot of progress which is always good.

Cleaned the harnesses which came with the seats. Could probably sell them for double what I paid for them now if I wanted.

[​IMG]

I've bought a few more bits too; some 3mm steel to make the roll cage and seat belt mounts, some side mounts for the seats and some weld in tube mounts for the rears from demon tweeks. I need to mount the steering column and pedals back in to decide on the seat position though.

I've also been stripping out all the unnecessary brackets from the shell, such as the rear seat and seat belt mounts and front seat mounts. And ive been removing all of the sound deadening, Horrible job.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Cleaned up the residue with some petrol.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And I removed the sunroof mechanism. Does anyone have or know where I can get a fibreglass blank for the sunroof hole? Not one that glues on the outside. LWS Design have stopped doing them. I will make one if I cant buy one, but obviously buying one will be easier.

[​IMG]

beetie and Sirguydo like this.
  18. skydivebaz

skydivebaz Forum Member

Quick question? Why the Ibiza cam belt cover??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

19. Lukeybabes Forum Member

It doesn't have a hole in it, like the mk4 Golf one for the engine mount.

20. skydivebaz

skydivebaz Forum Member

Exactly the answer I was hoping for !!! [emoji39] only took 4 years but I thought I would eventually find an answer. What's the part number??? And without going to look do I need only the top part. Sorry to interject on your thread.

Baz.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk