Audi A4 650bhp Race Car.

Discussion in 'Members Gallery' started by pascal77uk, Oct 13, 2009.

1. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

Definitely more hassle to get in / the way it is I suppose.

This hints at the A bar not being entirely straight - HTH

[YOUTUBE]bqfzkebkBcg[/YOUTUBE]

2. RobT

RobT Forum Junkie

3. pascal77uk Paid Member Paid Member

I know your a SQS fan Rob and it does look good, but you cant tempt me on this one yet:lol: But when we go to stage2 then it will be on the shopping list.:thumbup:

Had this arrive today[:D] My old suit runs out at the end of the month so i had to buy another. It an Alpinestars GP Tech

[​IMG]

My old one was Dave Turners suit, passed on to me when i started 3 years ago. Infact all my race kit has been passed on from different members of the old ATMR team. But i thought as the race suit is out of date i treat myself to a nice new one and a few other nice things to match. Which will come via Santa:lol: Familys are great at christmas:)

4. RobT

RobT Forum Junkie

Nice suit - I hope Santa is bringing me a new lid

5. pascal77uk Paid Member Paid Member

Rob i have just emailed Petr at SQS about some parts. I look forward to his reply:thumbup:

6. pascal77uk Paid Member Paid Member

A few cage pics. Tim has been ill this week with the flu so were not as far as hoped but no probs, as there is no real deadline on it.

Rear cage is in. The plan is to install the core kit that i have then build the rest of it around that.

Sorry for the poor quality pics my camera is bust and havent got around to fixing it, or should i say buy a bew one.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Looks good so far. Hope everyone likes it:thumbup:

7. Matt82

Matt82 Forum Addict

henry looks really impressed

8. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

Looks neat. Curious: is it TIG welded?

Are you planning on gussetting it onto the B-pillar, a la:

[​IMG]

9. Hamish Forum Member

Looks to be tig'd to me. Looks like you have designed a very good roll cage.

10. pascal77uk Paid Member Paid Member

Yep the cage is being completely TIG welded. Its a lot more work and time consuming but worth the effort.

The cage will be gusseted into the B pillar but not like this pic. Its being attached in the roof, then by the 2 door bars. Which is 100mm away from the main roll over hoop. So just as good a the one shown and looks neater. Also it will have a bar running along and welded into the sill between the A and B pillar.

11. pascal77uk Paid Member Paid Member

[​IMG]

:lol: [:D] :thumbup:

12. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

I've split the CDS/T45 debate over to here - I hope that's ok :)

13. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

[​IMG]

14. pascal77uk Paid Member Paid Member

Nice Chris,

Ive been doing some more research on the subject and have found out they are fitted slightly different than i originally thought.

I thought the extra A pillar bar came down directly from the point that the screen bar attaches to the A-B pillar hoop, which would then drop right in the way of the steering wheel. But the design is completely different. See pics below

[​IMG]

Some cars are done in the way i described earlier ie hatchbacks etc but due to the rake of the screen as per this Leon, the above way is it. I still not 100% as if i still really need this but a thought to ponder on.

15. pascal77uk Paid Member Paid Member

Just to go off topic for a Mo. I found this excellent photo of the Audi rear suspension set up. Its Genuis really whan you see it like this.

[​IMG]

It enables you to drop the whole rear off the car with a few bolts in seconds.:thumbup:

[​IMG]

These Audi's are clever. I still prefer VW's tho:lol:

16. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

I think the red car has a slightly different design. The A-pillar bar is detailed by the FIA (links on cage thread), taking about windscreen angles:

17. pascal77uk Paid Member Paid Member

A bit of insperation

[YOUTUBE]<object width="560" height="340"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/EUIVgjTVbAA&hl=en_GB&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/EUIVgjTVbAA&hl=en_GB&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object>[/YOUTUBE]

Posted by mk1 driver in the vid forum section

18. Tristan

Tristan Paid Member Paid Member

That's very impressive damping and spring control . I'm guessing he wasn't using cut down springs or a G-Max damper kit...lol

19. Matt82

Matt82 Forum Addict

dont knock cheapo suspension

i had cut down eibach pros and gmax dampers on my golf..... miles better than the higly expensive eibach coilover kit

20. Gaz_b Forum Member

I find that hard to believe.
    Due to the a4 being a large and relatively heavie car with 4WD I'd be investing in a set of fully adjustable coilovers: Bilstein or H&R etc. Probably whatever I could afford, as suspension can make all the difference through the corners and maintaining grip.

I'm keeping an eye on this thread as its not often you see people going all out on a car such as the a4/s4.

Last edited: Dec 11, 2009