Audi A4 650bhp Race Car.

Discussion in 'Members Gallery' started by pascal77uk, Oct 13, 2009.

1. BristolFish

BristolFish Forum Member

The Dialynx one? If so, I think it was retired.

2. RIP-MK3 Forum Addict

it is true though mike, you dont see many audi's stripped out and ready for the track. I suppose its due to thier cost? must be tough to buy a 20k RS audi and start pulling perfectly good heated leather out i suppose :lol:

3. POL

pol Forum Member

liking this build, always wanted to see more audi's 'race kitted' after the a4 btcc cars. hardly any of them about though. :(

4. Crispy 8V CGTI Committee - Club Secretary Admin

Better question is trick Mods you planning with the suspension, or gearbox your prepared to share?

Sticking with stock management to start off with?

5. pascal77uk Paid Member Paid Member

I have designed the cage myself based on the Audi A4 Touring cars, a Seat Cupra Mk2 Cup car and my own VR6 Racer. :thumbup:

I think everyone will like it:thumbup: Main aim is saftey. If im going to have a accident in this its going to be BIG. And as all racers know it Will happen someday.

The twins lol. Its worse than that. Dan and I have the same road cars as well. Same colour, same style wheels.

[​IMG]

Dans 400bhp S4

and my 150bhp Tdi S line

[​IMG]

My car was one of Dan's old cars as well:lol:

Its still about. It ran a 1.8T motor in coombe saloons, 500bhp, glass windows and road tyres. It ran in the 1m14/15 sec bracket:thumbup: A very good car and high spec.

I read the thread on Richs wide body S4. A lot of work as gone in there.:thumbup:

Jack is the chap building Satans child. I got in contact with him by accident a month or 2 ago about something completely different. I have been working with him on the spec very closely and have spent a few evenings chatting and id call him a friend now:thumbup:.

Jacks Motor

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Your right there are not many around.

Also there are no tuning parts, well Full on race parts available in the Uk really. We are ordering everything from America and importing it in. Most people who buy a s4 and want to go quicker buy a RS4. These cars have only recently come down in price. Say 3 years ago who would want to spend 25K+ then 15k on mods. Most people just go for a Porsche GT2 or something. Or have this as their road car and buy a MK2 Golf for track use.:thumbup:

A lot of owners are happy to increase the BHP to say 550 fit sports suspension big brakes and drive round a race track going fast in their leather Recaros:thumbup:. Job done.

6. Chris M Forum Member

Not really true. There are so many modified S4's out there, from stock to 800+bhp.

What race parts were you after?

Cheers

7. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

V. useful references! Custom Cages or other? (I recall a lack of flexibility on departing from their certified designs, that's all).

CDS tube in 45 x 2.5mm?

8. pascal77uk Paid Member Paid Member

Ok. Well its being built in stages as per an earlier post.

It has AST race suspension already and custom top mounts.

http://www.astsuspensionuk.com/topmounts.asp

http://www.astsuspensionuk.com/gallerynew.asp?category=products.

The whole chassis/subframes will be soild mounted, as will the engine, box, Rear Diff and will be fitted with custom CNC machined ali mounts.

All factory lower suspension control arms will be fitted with Aurora spherical bearings. Rear will be CAD engineered and CNC machined from billet 6061 aluminum with Aurora heim joints with teflon linings.

All top arms are adjustable for camber and castor. Tie rod ends will be customed machined stainless steel heim joints which are adjustable for bump steer.It will also have custom lower rear arms for toe adjustments and precision alignments.

We looked at touring car hubs but are more hassle than they are worth to be honest.

Gearbox is staying standard for stage 1. Well capable of handling 700bhp But will recieve front and rear plate diffs and custom Strasis centre torsen diff. Box has been recon'd already and fitted with a Spec Clutch

Brakes. Front are 380mmx32mm 2 piece race discs with custom 6pot calipers. Rear will be 337mm 2 piece RS6 rear discs with Porsche 4 pot Brembo calipers on custom CNC brackets. All with braided brake lines.

For stage 2 it will recieve a Tilton Brake Pedal Box

We will stay with standard management for now as it will get custom mapped anyway. So as good as aftermarket for what we require. Engine will breathe in the 500bhp mark. Some estimate more but power isnt really a concern.

9. pascal77uk Paid Member Paid Member

To be honest there could well be. I dont know lots about the S4/RS4 scene.

Most parts are suspension related and diffs. Have a look at my list above it gives a outline of spec etc

10. pascal77uk Paid Member Paid Member

Yep CC core kit 45 x2.5mm tube. Its being custom fitted with extra bars as per my spec all to MSA regs to a full on multipoint cgae fully tacked in, up to the turretts cross braced the works. With seat rails both sides and harness bars also to my spec.

11. RobT

RobT Forum Junkie

12. pascal77uk Paid Member Paid Member

Cheers Rob.

Yep thats basically the arms we are going to use but from a different source. We have a Spec clutch already so will use that and we are planning to use plate diffs as i love jumping curbs.:thumbup:

I did stumble on a link to SQS the other day. The dog box with seq shift look really good. I think that will be a long way off tho[:^(]

13. RobT

RobT Forum Junkie

I thought I read somewhere that the A4/S4 rear plate diff from Stasis was a modified 911 diff but I cannot remember where I saw that - will try and find it again.

SQS will make anything you need - they make plate diffs for 02a/j and 02M already - might be worth an enquiry - Petr is the man - both Bill and I have gears from them now and I have to say they are excellent.

The wavetrac stuff looks promising but I dont know enough people who have used them in anger yet to know how they stack up.

14. 16valver Forum Member

What turbos will you be using for your 500bhp mike? GT25's?

15. pascal77uk Paid Member Paid Member

Hi Ali, modified KKK K04's on custom O.CT manifolds.

16. pascal77uk Paid Member Paid Member

Well as they say all best ideas are drawn on the back of a fag packet.

This is the basis/design of my cage.

The X in a circle are for either gusetts or points where the cage will be welded into the
    bodyshell. It will go further back into the boot as well due to the chassis having to cope with 600lbs of torque gripping on slicks through the back wheels.

[​IMG]

I just modded an existing drawing and puts notes on for my cage builder. If i could weld i would do it myself but due to timescales and learning etc its just not possible.

17. mk28vICED Forum Member

woah this is going to get serious! thats one hell of a cage design!

18. 16valver Forum Member

That looks like a fairly serious cage!

When you say it will extend into the boot, have you thought about picking up the rear diff as well?

I would guess you would have the normal horizontal bar between the rear top mounts but then off that, a diagonal dropping down from the top mount on either side picking up points just above the diff?

Sure I have seen a lot of the M3 & CSL racers bring this into cage design.

19. pascal77uk Paid Member Paid Member

Thats the idea Ali. In the pic below you can imagine a where a rear bar will run between the top mounts then it will X downwards to either side of the spare wheel well. I saw this on a A4 a while ago and thought it was a good idea. They just had a straight bar to each point without the X. I thought this would add strength.

[​IMG]

The diff bolts up to a rear subframe like this so is fairly solid anyway.:thumbup:

[​IMG]

These Audi's are impressive engineering

20. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

Like it Mike [:D] All the tubes pointing at each other, forces being directed properly, neat end result :thumbup:

Most things in there I can think of, including the 2003-onwards extra A-pillar bars. Nice.

The other 2003-on FIA-style bars (not seen) are a vertical criss-cross behind the driver at the B-pillars, with a gusset at the intersection. Failing that, a lateral tube across from B hoop to B hoop, half way up, where all the other tubes intersect (think your Golf has this with a single B=>B diagonal).

I assume the drawing is just that, and the B-pillar verticals won't have a kink half way up?

There's an extra bars in the scuttle area I can't quite work out - far side, there's 2 close together. Check they look like MSA diags before using them - you don't want to have to cut them out.

The only temptation is to see if there are any bars you can take out for lightness, if you can justify. Possibly the one at the bottom of the front doors on the sill?