Audi A4 BTCC / STW engine specs - 305 bhp from an N/A valver.

Discussion in '16-valve' started by A.N. Other, Mar 23, 2009.

1. Dave

Dave *Very Smart* Pedantic Old Fart Paid Member

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 30, 2017
    erreesse likes this.
  2. Tristan

Tristan Paid Member Paid Member

does it look to be welded? at pipe no.4?

3. Dave

Tris.

I think it is welded in lots of places, as it appears to be made from lots of small bits, to achieve the intricate shape?

4. Tristan

welded as in broken?

5. Dave

Welded as in:

'How do they make F1 exhausts!':lol:

6. Dave

Does this show more?

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 30, 2017
    Coldforged likes this.
  7. Tristan

SEE where no3 and4 primaries meet the collector? at the junction of dull grey to shiney? It matters not really , just my pedantic hat was comfy the other day...

8. Brian.G

Brian.G Forum Member

Thats where the pipes are flared and the pipe back joins it Tristan. Its to be shoved together in Daves picture. Thats why the shine is still on pipes, it would normally be mated together, and tack welded/wired to hold in place. Looking closer, its spring wired to hold in place, spot the little hooks either side of join, similar to the net pictures below,

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

BG

9. Tristan

Dunno Brian , if 1 and 2 primaries were to be pushed together , the 4 of them wouldn't be inline at the head end. and if they were all pushed out , the other 2 would have the same shine. No matter anyhoo , I won't be buying it!

10. HPR

HPR Administrator Admin

Seat Sport S2000 20V engine specs > WTCC / BTCC 2004/2005

85mm x 88.1 mm

CR 11/1

Valve lift 11 mm

Engine block 06A 103 021C bored to 85.00 mm

Last edited: Oct 24, 2012
  11. infinity

infinity Forum Member

i've heard 13-14mm :o

12. prof Forum Addict

so would we conclude that the FSi head offers a little more potential than the 20v? or are there other things in the mix

13. 3hirty8ight Forum Member

OEM bolts for head and main caps is very interesting!..

14. HPR

HPR Administrator Admin

Yes , more valve area

15. Idorap Forum Member

Just to add some precision to HPR good description :

- CR and Valve lift, are the maximun allowed by rules (you can go to 13/13 but you have to add weight to the car)

- Crankshaft Minimun Weight is also didacted by the rules (A seat WRC crank Weight 11,5 Kg with 92,3 stroke)

- Rod and Main bearing are from the Audi 16v STW engine

- Airbox Back in magnesium is also from the Audi STW engine

- Injector are from the 1.8 T 225bhp !

erreesse likes this.
  16. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

Second Primera BTCC article

"Increased crankshaft flexibilty can all too easily offset the frictional gain of smaller bearings."

"Compression ratio closer to 14:1 than to 13:1."

One of the best technical articles on this type of engine I've read :thumbup:

erreesse likes this.
  17. Neal H Forum Member

Excellent article, Chris. Ties in with much talked about above.

Some things that struck me were:

1.75 rod to stroke ratio
    36mm inlet valves
    2 injectors per cylinder
    4 : 2 : 1 exhaust
    ~13.7:1 CR

Basics, yes, but very very important. Some of these were / are possible on an 827 code engine, others less so (You can't physically get 36mm inlets in without moving the stem centres, if at all).

erreesse likes this.
  18. jamesa Forum Junkie

Agreed.

Of particular note for me is:

19. Neal H Forum Member

I think a lot of that can come down to combustion chamber shape. To get high compression in some engines you need huge "intruder" type piston domes to create the required compression, but that can lead to less than ideal combustion and burn rate and the advantage of the raised CR is lost.

Either way, the high CR most certainly worked on the Nissan. Sounds like the Primera had a "traditional" pent shaped chamber as has the XE, Pug 405 and Cosworth heads. It might also go some way to explaining why VW went some way to reshaping the combustion chambers by milling down the exhaust side of the cylinder head. Perhaps to try and reduce the combustion chamber volume and alter the shape a little, rather than increasing the exhaust port flow which is more than adequate for the amount of air flowed by the inlet valves. I am sure the answer will come out in time :thumbup:

20. HPR

HPR Administrator Admin

I agree target was to reduce combustion chamber volume and get the lightest possible piston
    with an almost flat crown