Audi Coupe Quattro

Discussion in 'Audi/SEAT/Skoda Chat' started by shaz8389, Apr 9, 2010.

1. shaz8389

shaz8389 Forum Junkie

No a prick in an X5 killed my Golf by rear ending it. If I buy a cheap later Quattro like Jolfa's motor then I can tuck the Golf up in the winter and if it doesn't snow I can have a bit of fun with it.

I don't know why I bother with this forum anymore.

2. samc Forum Member

you can get an s2 aswell, same shape as jolfa's but 5 cylinder 20v turbo, seen them go for as little as 2k but at that price there porbably high mileage or in need of a bit work.

3. shaz8389

shaz8389 Forum Junkie

Didn't realise S2s were that cheap, although the coupes are going for about a grand with tax and test. Seems like a good deal. Don't need it to be rapid or I'd end up keeping it, buying another daily and putting it all in a Golf.

4. TheSecondComing Forum Addict

Nor do I, you're a complete and utter cock.
    Stick to your 180mph Supra which your mate killed your camber on by doing donuts, then go and angle grind off a clamper's arm.:)

5. shaz8389

shaz8389 Forum Junkie

Oh how mature. No wonder so many people on here suck you off so much.

6. Jolfa

Jolfa Forum Junkie

They're not, for that kinda money you'd be looking at a resto project needing a new engine..!

7. shaz8389

shaz8389 Forum Junkie

Sod that. I'll stick to the Jolfa method, find one with tax and test then get rid of it when it's dissolved or something. Seems to work for you pretty well.

8. Jolfa

Jolfa Forum Junkie

Mine didn't have tax and very little test and the wheel was trying to fall off when I got it [:[]

9. TheSecondComing Forum Addict

It's because they have a deep, romantic love for me. I've been driving Mk2s for coming up on 20 years now, and never had a problem in snow or on ice, and no fancy winter tyres here. Having a 4wd car isn't going to stop someone from sliding into the back of you, by the way - the magic of quattro does not transfer from car to car as needed.

10. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

Can I just get this straight... in order to preserve a Mk2, of relatively moderate value, you're prepared to invest in an Audi Coupe Quattro / S2, which will cost more to run, more to insure, with a bigger excess, and more to repair if an X5 hits the back of it.

Maybe it's me, but this doesn't make any sense.

11. Jolfa

Jolfa Forum Junkie

You fool, don't you know quattro is as good as being invincible in the snow? It's a solid investment!

12. shaz8389

shaz8389 Forum Junkie

No... I'm going to buy the cheaper, less saught after, slightly newer coupe. Have you not paid attention to what I've said?

As much as I'd like a Gene Hunt Red UR Quattro, it would be unlikely I'd ever use one as a winter car for fear of getting it dirty never mind stacked. I just don't fancy replacing another Mk2 but don't mind simply breaking a car that I've only had a few months if it gets hit. Incase you guys don't notice, it's other dicks that can't drive in the snow that cause us problems.

Jolfa what did your Audi cost? And any luck on that free one?

Last edited: Apr 12, 2010
  13. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

Please re-read that and look at the way that statement comes across, not just to me, but to others reading in.

Yes, I know which Audi model - I've read the thread.

My point remains that it will be more expensive to buy, run, insure & repair.

Why do this to 'protect' a Mk2 of moderate value which is highly replaceable? It doesn't make any sense.

14. Mike_H Forum Addict

The later ones are a lot of car for not much money these days, but like a lot of exec saloons, they're cheap because they're expensive to run, and expensive when they go wrong. You can buy a lot of Audi for a grand, but parts prices are a lot more expensive than golfs, or the other transverse engine VAG cars.

15. shaz8389

shaz8389 Forum Junkie

Because I'm somewhat attached to the Mk2s, I'll most likely go halfs with my dad on the cost of something like that, he can use it for a bit when he gets his Beetle sprayed. Parts costs probably don't sting too much and as with my other cars I'll do the work myself.

Yeah they're cheap because they drink a bit of fuel, if I wanted economy I would be buying a diesel.

Also lets me spend an extended amount of time actually getting the Mk2 to where I want it as far as projects go.

16. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

Well that makes a bit more sense if it's a project with your Dad.

The rest of the thread has left most totally confused as to the rationale for looking at Audis, and what you were aiming to achieve.

What most people tend to do, by accident/design, is get one car to a stage where they're happy enough with it. As funds allow, they then get a daily, to allow the main project to take a back seat, and be cherished further, without incurring the wear and tear of a daily grind. The second car can be anything, whatever funds allow. More than one project car risks over-mortgaging spare time.

17. G-Man Forum Junkie

:thumbup: Agreed; my mk4 is being replaced this weekend with a boring motorway hack as I haven't got enough time to look after both cars as I want to when the mk2 is back on the road, plus having a boring daily gives me more to look forward to at the weekends [:D]

18. 2dubnick Forum Junkie

Projects suck, I have 3 atm so one is going tonight I hope, time and money are always tight.

I do get why Shaz wants a cheap quattro for the winter months as it would be alot of fun especially one with diff lock, but it will end up needing work so will end up as another project with other cars getting neglected. The other thing is its not all that likely that we will have a winter like the one we just had.

19. G-Man Forum Junkie

Quattro I would love to have in the snow as I probably would have had less brown trouser moments!

But if you've got the time to put into it, why not go for it in the end of the day all my mates newer cars seem to need more love and care than my older ones :lol:

20. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

"Quattro" sounds ace in the snow. Fine only to a point.

Fat low profile rubber sat on classic Ronals are a world away from FWD & proper winter (or preferably mud & snow) tyres.

As per 2dubnick, in any cold light an Audi Coupe, 15 years old++, is a project.