Audi TT R32 BHE into MK2 Golf

Discussion in 'Mk2' started by PhilRyder, Jul 30, 2023.

1. PhilRyder

PhilRyder Paid Member Paid Member

I was going to include this work in our build thread in the Members Gallery, which is called Little Red Ryder (hood), but decided that, having done many searches to try and find a definitive “how to”, to create its own thread. The intention is to include as many pictures as possible and as much information as possible as to how to do this job.
    We have done one engine conversion, from a 1.3 to a MK3 2.0 8v AGG so this is similar but with extra stuff.
    We bought BHE engine in July 2022 and have steadily collected parts and gathered knowledge. At this point I would like to thank all those who have assisted so far in answering questions in other threads with extra special thanks to Dave @dodgy who has been instrumental in sourcing parts and offering huge dollops of advice and know how. Also, special thanks to @Toyotec who has sorted the ECU (more on this later) and offered lots of advice. One more person to mention at this point is James E Looms who, although not on this forum, has been great adapting the TT loom to fit the MK2.

Last edited: Jul 30, 2023
  2. PhilRyder

This is how the engine arrived. Bought from a chap who was going to put it in his Mk4 Golf track car but life got in the way.
    IMG_0877.jpeg
    IMG_0874.jpeg
    IMG_0876.jpeg
    IMG_0875.jpeg
    It turned over freely and was complete with all of the loom, all ancillaries and even a spare ECU which had been de-immobilised. The seller threw in the engine stand and sold us his crane as well. He even delivered it for us in his works van :thumbup:

We wanted to check the condition of the bores and so bought an endoscope. This revealed what may have been a little bore score so we took the decision to remove the head and take a proper look. Thankfully all was very good. We had a reputable engine builder, Aaron at HT Racing at Brands Hatch, put it back together for us with new head bolts, head gasket, timing chains and ramps. The head was skimmed to make sure it was good and flat. All stuff that should be done for peace of mind. In fact Aaron was very pleased with the condition of the engine.

3. PhilRyder

In the meantime we decided that with 250hp the gearbox needed an LSD. The gearbox is a MK3 Golf VR6 CCM item sourced by @dodgy. I spoke to a couple of gearbox guys and the decision was the same - Quaife LSD, fit and forget. I ordered one. I then had to decide who to do the job. I liked the idea of getting Hotgolf to do it but he was unavailable at the time and Wales is just a bit too far for logistics so I went with Helical Gearboxes in Brockley (south London). Paul had done work for me before and was quick and honest and has very good reviews. I booked it in, took the gearbox over and the job was done in a day.
    In no particular order.
    IMG_1594.jpeg
    IMG_1600.jpeg
    IMG_1599.jpeg
    IMG_1598.jpeg
    IMG_1597.jpeg
    IMG_1595.jpeg
    IMG_1593.jpeg
    IMG_1592.jpeg
    Ralph then painted the gearbox.
    IMG_1505.jpeg

Attached Files:

4. PhilRyder

Buying parts.
    I’ll keep this post updated with a list of all the different parts we have decided necessary or are necessary to complete the job. Pictures will be added.
    One of the best resources I found for identifying parts and numbers is LLL Parts. The diagrams on the site are very clear and the site is easy to navigate. I have found it better than EKTA/7ZAP.

Engine.
    New seals.
    Main bearing, since the timing chain covers were off this was a bit mullered anyway. Part number 021103051C
    Two small seals in the upper timing chain cover, replaced for peace of mind. Part number 066109091A
    Rocker box cover spark plug hole seals, these were missing anyway. Part number 022103484F
    Small triangular water seal between upper timing chain cover and the head, this was well past it’s sell by date and had clearly been leaking a bit. Part number 02212119A
    Rocker box gasket seal, no brainer. Part number 022103483E
    Clips that hold the fuel rail to the injectors part number 06A133047A
    Flywheel - this is the VW VR6 version and requires 10 M10x1mm 19mm bolts. We got ours from VW. Flywheel bolt torque is 60Nm followed by a 90 degree turn. The bolts are M10 triple square or XZN bits, make sure you get a wood quality tool for this job.
    Timing chain ramp tensioner bolt 40Nm.
    Coolant pump bolts to block (ours were knackered) N10526802 M6x18
    Coolant pipe (on the outside of the block) o rings N10139201 34.5 x 3.55
    Thermostat. We have both the Golf VR6 housing and the TT housing. The thermostats are different part numbers but there does not seem to be any difference between the two. VW 075121113D Audi 022121113
    Thermostat housing seal to head 021121119A
    Thermostat housing sensor hole blanks (same for VW and Audi) 357121140
    Coolant switch 059919501A
    Coolant pump pulley bolts N90544203 M8 x 11

We found that the R32 oil cooler would not fit due to the engine mount. Some have found that a thinner cooler from a diesel or something like that works but you still need to cut and weld the mount. We didn’t want to do this so we went with a Mocal oil cooler kit which includes the take off plate, pipes, fittings and radiator. In hindsight I would have had the engine mount professionally modified and welded to accommodate the original oil cooler, it would have been less hassle and cheaper.

Since we were not fitting AC we needed a shorter poly belt. This is 1264mm long.

As the gearbox is electronic speedo a new cable is needed. This needs to be the mk2 1.3 version with the screw on cap at the gearbox.

Lambda sensors. Two are needed. As it turns out they are the same but there are a great many part numbers that apply. The ones we have are 022906262AK, 022906262CG, 022906262CH

Gearbox
    Quaife LSD
    Flywheel, this is the standard Golf MK3 VR6, part number 021105273H
    Flywheel bolts, should always be replaced when the flywheel is removed, 10 are needed.
    Clutch bolts to secure the clutch pressure plate to the flywheel, six are needed M7x26x15
    Starter motor - standard VR6, 10 teeth, two mounting holes.
    The gearbox requires a cover plate which covers the area below the engine where the flywheel is exposed. They are not available any longer but the part number is 02A301157C, good luck finding one.
    Gearshift - a cable shift is needed from a MK3, suitable for 02A gearbox. We have one from a Passat B3 I believe.

Clutch.
    This is the standard VR6 228mm clutch
    After some deliberation we decided to go with a hydraulic clutch conversion. This was primarily decided because of the availability of a kit for the job. We got ours from Retrofication as it was the best value.
    IMG_1712.jpeg
    Fly by wire accelerator pedal from a Mk4 Golf. This requires a new mount to be either fabbed up or can be bought from Retrofication ready made, this is what we bought. Below is the accelerator pedal bracket and the brackets for the above kit having been painted.
    IMG_1710.jpeg
    ECU - this needed to be de-immobilised an had other sensors and the rear Lambda removed from the software. All done by @Toyotec

Loom - electrics are not our favourite thing and so we decided to go plug and play and have the loom adapted by James E Looms. James can be found on Facebook.

Steering - we will be fitting PAS from a MK3 Golf and to do this we needed to buy new track rods to fit as we still had the original 1.3 jobbies.

Engine Mounts - these need to be changed and/or adapted. The rear one is a VR6 mount part number 357199354J

Exhaust - new stainless downpipe loveliness from Trackslag
    IMG_1711.jpeg
    Exhaust manifold to head gaskets part numbers 022253039E and 022253050C
    Exhaust manifold to downpipe gaskets part number 021253115

Last edited: Dec 21, 2023
  5. PhilRyder

And so we have started to put the engine back together.
    These sensor housings had some rust on them and I don’t fancy sliding new seals over them so a good clean and paint was in order.
    IMG_1698.jpeg
    IMG_1699.jpeg

The timing chain covers had a very good clean inside and out. Some ultrasonic cleaning.
    IMG_1666.jpeg
    In fact Ralph insisted on spending a very long time cleaning, sanding and polishing the visible areas. All the mating surfaces were carefully cleaned. In this picture you can see where the new “triangular” seal part number 022121119A sits in the top cover
    IMG_1701.jpeg

Cam position sensors given a good clean.
    IMG_1665.jpeg

Back on the engine. Torque for the M6 bolts is 10Nm and for the M8 it’s 23Nm. We used Hylomar Blue sealant on all the mating surfaces.
    IMG_1702.jpeg

Last edited: Jul 30, 2023
  6. Tristan

Tristan Paid Member Paid Member

Great work Phil!!

PhilRyder likes this.
  7. RichardDarrenB Paid Member Paid Member

Hey @PhilRyder did you do the rocker cover gasket or is it on your to do list? As I'm pretty sure I have a new genuine VAG gasket for one of these

8. RichardDarrenB Paid Member Paid Member

9. PhilRyder

Thanks Richard, all bought and waiting to go on.:thumbup:

RichardDarrenB likes this.
  10. PhilRyder

Some jobs today.
    New seals in.
    IMG_1721.jpeg
    IMG_1720.jpeg

One of the jobs that needs doing, in conjunction with deleting the SAI this valve needs to go.
    IMG_1700.jpeg
    To do this you can buy a blanking plate which simply replaces the whole lot. It’s a nice neat solution but they are expensive for what they are. I decided to make a blank which just covers the valve hole. 30 minute job, many pounds saved [:D]
    IMG_1713.jpeg
    IMG_1714.jpeg
    IMG_1715.jpeg
    IMG_1716.jpeg
    IMG_1717.jpeg
    And back on the engine.
    IMG_1718.jpeg

Also, gratuitous picture of the lovely clean head.
    IMG_1722.jpeg

Toyotec likes this.
  11. afbiker02

afbiker02 Paid Member Paid Member

Very nice write up Phil. If you don't mind me asking, how much was the wiring harness and what was the turn around time?

PhilRyder likes this.
  12. PhilRyder

The loom was £270 and done within 3 weeks. It’s very nicely done and James was happy to give updates and pictures as he went along. I will post some pics in due course [:D]

afbiker02 likes this.
  13. PhilRyder

Not such a good day today. Firstly we could not find the flywheel bolts anywhere. We searched several boxes several times until I looked in a box that just shouldn’t have had them but sure enough there they were. So we decided to fit the flywheel.
    I made a brace to stop the flywheel turning.
    IMG_1725.jpeg
    IMG_1723.jpeg
    We then proceeded to tighten the bolts. I was a little concerned as my 10mm 12 point bit was not a great fit, a little loose.
    IMG_1726.jpeg
    The bolts need to be 60Nm and then another quarter turn. I remembered when we did the AGG I simply couldn’t get a quarter turn on the bolts so I was expecting similar here. That was not the issue though, my doubts about the bit proved correct. This was the first bolt we tried to quarter turn - mullered.
    IMG_1724.jpeg
    Now, I don’t know if the bolts were of a poor quality, (they did not come with any make or provenence from EBay), or if it was solely down to the poor fit of the bit. I suspect a little of the first and a lot of the second. Anyway, we decided not to push our luck and stopped fitting them. This then necessitated a trip to VW to order new bolts (not cheap). The guy was very helpful and confirmed that the fitting is indeed 12 point 10mm spline. The bolts will be in on Thursday and then we will see how my spline bit fits. If it is no good then I will be on the hunt for one that is a perfect fit. Wish me luck [:D]

In other news the rocker cover is off for blasting as it was in a sorry state and Ralph wants to paint it, even though most of it is not seen [:[]

afbiker02 likes this.
  14. PhilRyder

Well what a difference the right tools and quality parts make! I know that’s obvious but…….
    Firstly the bolts from VW do actually look better quality.
    I ordered a new set of triple square/XZN bits from Amazon of a reputable make and they came this morning. A big difference in the quality of this set to my old set, they are called US Pro. The diameter of the M10 bit is at least 0.5mm bigger than the old one!.
    So we set about removing the old bolts and fitting the new ones, finger tight, 40Nm, 60Nm and then a quarter turn with the breaker bar. All went very smoothly, thank goodness.
    IMG_1727.jpeg
    Of interest the flywheel can only go on in one position because the bolt holes are offset # who knew :lol:

Last edited: Aug 3, 2023
    Skool likes this.
  15. PhilRyder

In other news rocker cover is back from blasting and ready for paint.
    IMG_1728.jpeg

16. PhilRyder

And some matt red VHT blingety bling bling paint.
    IMG_1729.jpeg

17. PhilRyder

Another tiny step forward.
    New spark plug hole seals and the baffle cleaned.
    IMG_1737.jpeg
    And on engine.
    IMG_20230805_105611.jpg

afbiker02 and Toyotec like this.
  18. PhilRyder

Bit of a step backwards unfortunately. I took the injectors out and took them for checking and cleaning. Would you believe they were all no good :cry: It seems they had had water in them at some point and they would not flow at all. It’s a bit incredible that they were all no good but TT Spares came to the rescue and I now have another 6 being checked and cleaned, fingers crossed.

The new manifold gaskets took an age to arrive but they arrived yesterday, so….
    You will note the block has been cleaned and painted.
    IMG_1779.jpeg
    Manifolds on.
    IMG_1783.jpeg

19. PhilRyder

Now for some questions.
    What is this bracket? We have noted that it is not retained in any of the conversions we have seen. Get rid?
    IMG_1784.jpeg
    Is this the supplementary water pump, item 15 in the below diagram? Seems it’s not needed?
    IMG_1785.jpeg
    Now, how many of the items in the following diagrams are no longer needed. Please give a part number, what it is and why it’s not needed. I’ll add as I figure them out.
    IMG_1787.jpeg

IMG_1788.jpeg

If anyone has a diagram of how the coolant system plumbs in for the conversion it would be really helpful. Should I use this diagram which is for a Golf VR6? In which case the supplementary pump is shown.
    IMG_1789.jpeg

Last edited: Aug 15, 2023
    afbiker02 likes this.
  20. GVK

GVK Paid Member Paid Member

On your first question, the bracket is for the chassis mounted engine mount on the original car. Not used on a mk2.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2023
    afbiker02 and PhilRyder like this.