Australian Kamei replica build.

Discussion in 'Members Gallery' started by Peter Jones, Dec 30, 2011.

Tags:
  1. Tristan

Tristan Paid Member Paid Member

niiiiice...

2. Richard Mk2

Richard Mk2 Paid Member Paid Member

3. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

Some great details on this thread. With the car being such an early one, the steering column mounting bracket is completely different to later Mk1s:

The early door hinges also visible:

4. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

The aftermarket front spoilers we see in the UK for these Berg kits don't seem to fit very well - I have yet to see a really good one which didn't require manipulation to get it look right.

Previous thread on Berg kits here, pointers to Germany, backed up with the KWL car looking to have a different style, but fitting fine - click.

The car spit looks like a really good quality item :thumbup:

5. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

Seeing this picture got me thinking:

The insert at the end of the tower looks bespoke, but it's not far and away removed from a tapered wheel nut. If the coating were to be stripped from a wheel nut, there's a DIY solution.

6. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

And last one, I see the bar has a knurled secton in the centre, as opposed to the hex bar previously seen on the website:

Does the bar have left and right threads in each end by chance?

7. fthaimike Forum Addict

Very nice updates Peter, like i said, much better in a seperate thread :thumbup:.

Give us a shout on final paint prep if you need any additional details that we spoke about though you have the world's biggest collection on here now due to my addiction [:$].

The front airdam also took a lot of work on mine though it was blended in.

This pic is nearlly 3 yrs old now lol:
    [​IMG]

A pity Peter you didn't see a members guide on here for making your own rear setup instead of the expensive scch one:
    http://www.clubgti.com/forum/showpost.php?p=2044635&postcount=42

(from this build, another person who was thinking of a kamei scheme also)
    http://www.clubgti.com/forum/showthread.php?t=229926

Last edited: Dec 31, 2011
  8. Peter Jones Forum Member

I never did quite get around to explaining this sorry. We sort of take these things for granted.:)

This is an Australian built LS model Golf. Made in the Clayton plant in Victoria.

There are number of differences, you've spotted the hinges and the column support but there's also differences in
    • The front guards don't have a pressed recess for the lower chrome strip.
    • The rear seat catches are different to later models
    • Some cars got swallow tail rear panels others got the later style. (Mine has been changed )
    • Different door handles and locks (Push in rather then push down mechanism)
    • Dashboard reinforcing member, later cars had more cross pieces in there.
    • No intrusion bars in doors.
    • Swallow tail bonnet
    • Different heater box
    • outer dashboard vents connect straight into the plenum for pressurised cold air, they're not connected to the heater at all.
    • No air pump on the motor. Pollution regs here changed in about '77. "Pre pollution" cars are sought after by modifiers as they're easier to register with bigger carbs etc.
    • Early style dashboard with fan speed on a slider.
    • 15mm balljoints
    • Steering rack bolts to firewall at both ends directly. There's no bushes or clamps involved.
    • No tow eyes in body, they're on the bumper irons.
    • Only one of the openings below the radiator is cut out. (I've just cut mine out if you look back over the photos)

Yep, sure does!

Yeah, a moment of weakness, I could have easily made my own but I had the chance to get in on a combined order of stuff. Apart form holidays I don't get a lot of spare time and this looked like a time saver.

Last edited: Jan 1, 2012
  9. Peter Jones Forum Member

More posts from the archive.

I was very excited to receive my rotisserie back in 2010.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. Peter Jones Forum Member

Here's some of the story on the pedals.

That wheel is in my other race car at the moment but it will come back to this car soon.

The cage builder talked me out of a cross member across the dash in the end.

11. Peter Jones Forum Member

I started on the wiper kit ,never finished beyond this, there's still some work to do, I'll tackle it again come fitting time.

12. Peter Jones Forum Member

I've got the wiring and hydraulic schematics drawn up in Visio, just in a initial config at the moment I'll update the drawings as things come together organically.

13. Peter Jones Forum Member

Whilst on the subject of brakes and stuff.

Here's what I'm proposing to do up front. It's a bit experimental and may not work, I have parts to go in a different direction if I have to.

Girling G60 calipers.
    Modified MK2 16v hub carriers (shock mounting machined down to MK1 width and one hole relocated to MK1 position.
    19mm Ball joint extenders
    19mm MK2 balljoints
    MK2 tie rods.
    280mm Discs

I'll know if it works when I put it all together and start taking measurements.

Here's the posts with pictures of the offending items.

I'm worried about the weight of those calipers, they're a lot heavier than I expected.

I've sort of drawn a line in the sand for a lot of stuff to establish a baseline.

These cars are never really finished, I'm happy with the concepts for day one. Once it's had a few outings I'll be able to prioritise future development work.

14. Peter Jones Forum Member

Back to the present.

I got a lot of undercoating done today, the floor and some of the loose panels. Didn't get photos of the completed panels, we'll get some tomorrow morning.

BAgged up the front end to keep the overspray off it.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I got slowed down by a dent in the sill I'd forgotten to fix. I couldn't get a dolly to it so I had to use a slide hammer to pull it out. That worked OK but I'd made the metal too thin with the grinder to weld the holes back up. Nothing to do but cut it all out and make a new piece to go in there.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It's hot here at the moment. You have to work fast with the filler but the paint drys almost instantly. (That's 95 F)

[​IMG]

Finished repair, not concourse but this is a race car after all. Normally this panel is well out of sight anyway.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

15. Peter Jones Forum Member

Chris suggested I pull more of the seat belt anchors out.

So I did and used the re-acquired real estate to put in another speed hole.[:D]

These brackets are surprisingly heavy.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Having the rotisserie does alow for some interesting means of access to things. Being able to walk in and out of the car via the windscreen makes life a lot easier.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Finished up the day by blocking back the last of the loose panels for undercoat first thing tomorrow.

[​IMG]

16. Blue MK2 Forum Member

17. Peter Jones Forum Member

Quick update, I've been flat out spraying and sanding for the last couple of days.

Engine bay, underside and interior are all red now.

I've laid down a white base coat to make the top coat colours brighter.

Back in the 70's they used lead in the paint and the colours were a bit stronger, a white base coat will help make the colours pop.

Car is ready to start with the stripey top coat tomorrow.

It's going to take a couple of hours, the geometry is doing my head in!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Cheating a bit here and using a cheap laser line from my local hardware store to visualise the paint scheme and help out with the masking.

[​IMG]

18. fthaimike Forum Addict

Nice one

are you putting the holes in for the indicators before you paint her?

(mine arrived here safely thanks)

the hard/weird bit is where the bottom of the yellow travels over the front arch and also getting it to spread out over it like a bulge.

original:
    [​IMG]

mine:
    [​IMG]

you might get yours with the lazer even straighter than mine, we had to change the angle slightly at the front otherwise it just looked odd higher up when you were stood by it though it looks strange on some angles on the original.

19. Peter Jones Forum Member

It's done. Painted the last of it today and just pulled all the masking off.

It's come up pretty well, a few minor touch ups required.

Still needs wet sanding and clear coat of course and it's very dusty but this should give you an idea of what it's going to look like.

Photo is taken at night under fluorescent lights.

[​IMG]

20. fthaimike Forum Addict

Nice one Peter looking good.