Australian Kamei replica build.

Discussion in 'Members Gallery' started by Peter Jones, Dec 30, 2011.

Tags:
  1. fthaimike Forum Addict

Last edited: Apr 11, 2012
  2. Peter Jones Forum Member

Yeah, I think there's more work to go on that column before I'm done.

3. fthaimike Forum Addict

Yes, i also mean the brackets in the engine bay ;)

4. Peter Jones Forum Member

I was wondering if that's what you meant.

The early cars like mine don't really suffer from that problem as the rack bolts up solid at both ends. The supporting brackets are different and I've seam welded them in any case.

(Look closely at that rack, there's a couple of unusual differences. ;) )

5. fthaimike Forum Addict

Yes i thought they looked a bit different, only the very early ones were solid :thumbup:.

EDIT: having come off a night shift & no sleep yet i have an excuse lol.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2012
  6. Peter Jones Forum Member

This is an Australian made car.

I suspect the very early tooling got shipped to Australia to make these and the "very early" features ran on a bit longer here.

This car should also have a swallow tail but the rear panel has been replaced.

7. fthaimike Forum Addict

Interesting, the original 1976 Kamei car came with the solid rack too as it still has to this day though i think it might have just missed the small swallowtail run of panels maybe checking on old info.

8. Peter Jones Forum Member

Got a tank in over the weekend, it's a diesel one I've cleaned up.

Need to source a suitable roll over valve for the breather.

Suitable fuel hose for the tank to filler connection is 38mm if anyone needs to know. I got this piece from Purple Pig. (Yes that's a real business! Purple Pig - Industrial hoses, fittings and rubber products.)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. Bruce T Forum Member

Absolutely stunning build here! :clap: Wish I had the time and space to be so thorough with my project.

Is that an OBP pedal box youre using there Peter? If so how did you get on mounting it? I'm toying with buying one as they claim its a direct fit to golfs 1-4...slightly skeptical here though.

Cheers,
    Bruce.

10. Peter Jones Forum Member

Small things amuse small minds but do also require a stupid amount of time to research and procure.

These are bits for the brake system.

[​IMG]

5 way M10 brake unions
    Stop light switch (I'm going to put one in both front and rear circuits)
    BMW Brake Pressure sender (So I can log brake pressures, again, front and rear.
    and all the little bits that make up the connector for the pressure sensors.

For those of you interested in logging, the BMW sensors are a lot cheaper than the motorsport equivalents, are M10 and will read to 250Bar. Their curve is linear and the data sheet is readily available to program your logger.

Bosch part number is 0 265 005 303
    BMW part number is 34 51 1 165 467

Part numbers for the connectors can be found in the data sheet. http://apps.bosch.com.au/motorsport/downloads/sensors_highpressure.pdf

11. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

Interesting and very thought provoking!

12. Peter Jones Forum Member

Yep it's an OBP. the "direct fit" claim is a little mischievous. It's more of a universal thing designed to be mounted on an inclined floor. Some trimming of the cylinder pushrods is going to be required to get the pedals to sit at the right angle.

I attached mine to the angled section between the bulkhead and the floor using 6 x M6 bolts into nutserts.

I'm a little concerned about the floor flexing, I'll see how it goes but I might have to add some bracing if the whole thing moves about too much.

13. Peter Jones Forum Member

It took a lot of Google-Foo to figure that out Chris. :)

With a little more you'll figure out that the sensor came from things like the 2003 X5 4.4i, they're out of the DSC system.

You guys might be able to find stuff like that in the breakers yards in the UK.

I opted to go with new ones from my favourite place to shop. http://www.germanautoparts.com/

One of the electronic component suppliers,Farnell (Now Element 14), I deal with occasionally had the connector bits.

14. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

All great ideas!

What electronics box are you going to feed the data into, to then record & display/interpret?

15. Peter Jones Forum Member

16. Deako Paid Member Paid Member

Wow. That dash and gps data logger gets me seriously excited. I long for the day when i can own a track/race car with that sort of kit. :thumbup:

17. fthaimike Forum Addict

Would be cool if you knew how to press the vw logo into/across the metal you used for the lights.

[​IMG]

Or are you thinking along the lines of the Rallye Racing decals we have like on the kamei?

18. Peter Jones Forum Member

I'm going with the rallye decals,

I've also got fake headlight stickers but I might just keep the alloy above and below the Rallye decal.

The headlight decals look like this

[​IMG]

Mike Wright (pascal77uk) is on the case and making up the Kamei livery now.

19. fthaimike Forum Addict

Nice one those may look cool too, the decals are spot on we did with Mike, they should be as we spent enough time discussing & researching them so i am glad you went to him like advised.

EDIT:I have some of the original Rallye Racing ones here from Bernd and are still sticky [:D], i compared them with the new ones and look the same.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2012
  20. Peter Jones Forum Member

I've made all the brake hard lines and roughed them in. There's still the clutch lines to do but I don't know where I'm going to go through the firewall yet.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]