BAM in Mk2 hits master cylinder

Discussion in '1.8 & 1.8T' started by dUff, Oct 17, 2009.

1. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

ah ok, yeah the bulkhead spacer wont help here then.

yeah the mc is the same, so you can fit the biza reservoir. ben (sc0rian) used the ford remote reservoir on his rallye :thumbup:

2. Ditchyboy Forum Member

so you can use a focus mc without spacers? then mate it to an ibiza reservoir

3. rubjonny

no sorry to confuse, you still needed the spacer as the focus one is exactly the same master cylinder

4. JWYATT Forum Member

brilliant info here !

Cheers ! :thumbup:

5. daveslp Forum Member

Resurection!
    Has anyone tried an ibiza res tank on the focus MC?

6. rubjonny

yes it will fit, but not so easy to find in scrappy so have to buy new which isnt cheap. focus remote mount reservoir fits pretty well, there are handy studs on the strut tower you can use

7. Classy6 Forum Member

Rather than start a new thread...

What brake set-ups are people using with this 24.9mm ibiza cylinder?

Standard g60 calipers or bigger? Hows brake feel with a larger cylinder on calipers normally used with a smaller one?

8. badger5

badger5 Club GTI Sponsor and Supporter Trader

G60 calipers are what ibiza cupra ran.. so no issue obviously
    Brembo's also work fine as do AP 4-pots

All the above used on my own cupra

9. Classy6 Forum Member

Thought the G60 calipers used a smaller MC? I didn't know they ran those either, thought they all ran brembos.

Considering Wilwoods, need to work out piston size however & S2 calipers but remember reading they use a 25+mm? MC.

10. badger5

badger5 Club GTI Sponsor and Supporter Trader

ibiza cupra-r ran brembos
    normal cupras ran 280mm g60 setups

parts bin special these cars - lol

11. Classy6 Forum Member

Both using that 24.9mm MC - if that's the case, I'll grab some G60 calipers for the time being until funds can afford bigger & better.

Ha yeah, after a written off one I think!

12. Todd Motto Forum Member

Back from the dead… I have a MK2 Golf that has a 1.8T BAM engine (work in progress conversion). I understand there is the “stubby” master cylinder that I can use, however I think something is suspect with the threads on the servo to mount the MC - they seem slanted…

[photo]: https://ibb.co/4tWWkzh

from photos I’ve found online the mounting threads are level, yet mine seem slanted at let’s say 45 degrees. The stock master cylinder made up for this and the brake fluid bottle sits perfectly straight - so I conclude this is by design. However (now onto the issue) if I were to get the stubby master cylinder it seems the mounting holes are straight. This then means the brake reservoir then tilts at a massive angle into the side of the car. Do I have an old school servo or something? I’m going a bit research crazy this evening and struggling to find an answer. Thank you!

Last edited: Jan 6, 2023
  13. rubjonny

thats a mk3 or corrado abs type master cylinder, if you want the stubby ibiza/focus one you'll need to replace the servo as well

if the engine is already in check your rear bracket part number, if its a mk2 golf one you'll gain 10mm by fitting the correct corrado/passat/g60 rear. also check the front if its had a mk3 abf/tdi front bracket that gives less room also as it pushes the engine up and back

14. Todd Motto Forum Member

Oh that makes so much sense now. Thank you!

So the current servo and master cylinder would be incorrect for this BAM install? I inherited the car project so am trying to make some progress where previous owner left off. A new servo seems appropriate anyway to renew it all so I’m fine doing that. I do wonder if the current servo will still work despite its expecting a sensor for ABS (presumably).

and yes the rear engine part number is 19119935 so that comes up as a MK2 stock mount. The gearbox mount is the correct 357199353A so it looks like I’ll need to swap the rear. I see a lot of folks recommend a solid front engine mount due to the power the BAM outputs - a part number I was recommended is 357199273. Is it good to use or would an aftermarket solution be best?

thank you!

15. rubjonny

the servo and mc will still work fine on cars without abs, just a case of if you have the space and if the master is working ok (they are very difficult to get if you need one)

ok so you need a rear with part number 535199354, 357199354, 357199354H or 535199354C. alternatively you can keep what you have and put 10mm spacer(s) between it and the block to achieve the same thing. and yep for the front you want 357199273, or as you say theres aftermarket beefy jobbers, I want to say MFI? but cant remember 100% who does them :lol:

if you can weld get the std part and add some extra steel to beef it up, copy the mk3 golf design 1H0199273B. you could even use the mk3 front one if you can get hold of a corrado vr6 type front engine carrier so thats another option. then either keep the mk2 subframe and correct g60/passat/corrado mount or fit a mk3 subframe and use the abf/tdi rear bracket 1H0199354B or 1H0199354H

16. Todd Motto Forum Member

Wow thank you that’s incredible info!

Do you happen to know if a 357199354J would also work? I know VW are a bit funny with last numbers and totally different designs.

I was planning to get the MK1 Ford Focus master cylinder and perform the 3mm removal on the stub inside the MK2 9” servo.

17. rubjonny

no that one is for the VR6 engine so it wont fit

18. Todd Motto Forum Member

Okay perfect.just managed to grab the 357199354 off a Passat B4.

When you say:

“you need a rear with part number 535199354, 357199354, 357199354H or 535199354C“ are they all identical then or very slightly different?

19. rubjonny

there are 2 main designs flat on top or ridged, plus some have studs on for a little heat shield that clips on and some are plain. they're all the same dimensions though so it makes no difference when you're swapping one into a MK2 or whatever :)

Todd Motto likes this.
  20. Todd Motto Forum Member

Thanks, that’s great to know. I’m wondering if you have any advice for the master cylinder - I plan to order this part number:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/23479626...tsN4YPwRgq&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

Which I understand has 4 ports so I can use 2x 12mm for the brakes and 1x10mm for the hydraulic clutch. Do you know if that’s the right part and also if the 4 ports works fully and clears the cam cover (after correct engine mount install)? I’ve seen a photo of it but trust a real life comment far more… :-) I wanted to share the same brake fluid reservoir instead of mounting a cylinder to the clutch pedal etc.