Best Mods on ABF 16v???

Discussion in '16-valve' started by damogti, Dec 24, 2004.

1. Tubthumped Forum Junkie

Martin - get some ABF cams in it mate.

They pull like hell from low down and keep pulling until 7k. The lads at TSR where convinced my car was cammed when i took it there.

2. damogti Forum Junkie

Pics will be done in new year Russ:p ;)

Some superb info here people, thank you! :p :clap:

So basically im best sticking with the standard cams and just fitting a performance exhaust, induction kit and having the ECU remapped??

I fancy going for the lightened/balanced bottom and flowed head/manifolds eventually but when my budget allows. I can afford the exhaust and re map at the moment but with my current situation at home i cant really go too made with things....... [8(]

3. H8SV8S Forum Member

Lose the stock ECU, then you can do whatever you want.

If not, flow the head, get it remapped, then leave it alone.

I got a true, engine dyno, 191hp from the ABF cams, but the car still didn't feel quick - they don't produce enough top end for my liking but that's just personal preference. I don't like an engine to feel linear and unexciting - the new Mini Cooper S is a prime example of such an engine.

The ABF responds well to new cams, but not with it's sh1tty digipants injection with a stock air fuel ratio like a heart rate graph.

4. ViCk Forum Member

The ratios on the cable box are crap too, not really suited to the 16v. I'm on the verge of getting a 2Y with a final drive of 3.89 ;)

5. Tubthumped Forum Junkie

Go for 3.94. It's fun! [:D]

6. H8SV8S Forum Member

Agreed. The 02A isn't too bad with a 3.94 and it's quite a strong 'box too :p

7. Tubthumped Forum Junkie

I'm staying with the 020 2Y with 3.94 and ATB. Spent too much and hate them damn cables :lol:

8. ianb Forum Member

Does the Digi set up mean no adjusting of fuelling ??

One of the issues of stock valvers are their weak fuelling at the middle/top rev ranges.

I believe Bills Jetta also ran Crane 268/268's at one stage. He also tried 304 cams but wasn't happy with the set up.

My cams Schrick 268/276 gives a nice blend of torque everywhere as well as top end punch all the way to 7800

You need to do everything to maximise them though on a Kjet car on a 2 litre 9A block.
    Long term TSR balanced my botom end and put ARP internals but it keeps the botton end strong smooth and reliable(touchwood). I don't know what they would perform like in a ABF unit unless they can be mapped efficiently......Vince at Stealth is the guy to speak to

Ian

9. Tony20VTurbo Forum Member

this is a strange one, i have been reading across the forums and the similar mods done to the abf cars are producing a whole different range of BHP outputs

my 2.0 16v 97 plate with 53,000 on the clock produced 177bhp and i only have a induction kit and a blitz chip.....

and others have cams and head flowed etc and are producing less.......

im off next with a manifold, race cat and S/S exhaust...so im looking at 185bhp right?..

10. Phil

Phil Forum Member

I think 177 is a bit out, tbh.;) Who's rollers did you have it on?

11. Tony20VTurbo Forum Member

Vince's RR at Stealth

everyones figures on the day were pretty spot on though, so i cant see it being that in accurate

remember when VW built the 16v and the VR6, the 16v was almost producing the same power as the VR6 and VW de-tuned the 16v so the VR6 would sell

so i think from some very "mild" tuning, 177bhp is easily achievable....

12. Phil

Phil Forum Member

I don't think the engine was detuned, more like the power output figures of the ABF were dumbed down. A 27bhp increase on standard figures with a chip and filter is a lot, as not all of the ABF's put out over 160 as standard......gains like that would normally seen on FI engines. I'm not saying you are BS'ing or that the rollers are out, but you have to appreciate my sceptism. :) What was your peak torque figure?

13. Tony20VTurbo Forum Member

i will have to get the graphs out, i think they are in the car, so will try and post up later tonight

thing is i have found with VW figures, for example the 2.0 8v is 115bhp standard on paper, but from all the 8v's i have seen RR and also i had one myself, almost all of them were putting out 125-130bhp standard, and seeing some of my friends who have valvers as well, 2 of them standard were putting out over 160bhp.....

either way i will take the 177BHP figure and run with it, lol[:D]

14. iguana Forum Member

Dont take Stealth figs as gospel fella, its a good reference as the majority of us have run there, but it definatly reads at the high end.

For a more accurate figure & one that produces very close to engine dyno figs you need to run on a far more modern generation of rolling roads. There are a few around but WRC at silverstone is one of the most respected in uk for this.

15. chrismc Forum Junkie

This is true....

When first mapped by Vince my car made 199BHP/158lbs/ft @ Stealth

It was remapped on a dyno-dynamics RR (Steve Greenald, DTA Master;) ) & made 193BHP/148lbs/ft

The latter is definitely a more real-world figure....need to have another run @ Stealth now, as im pretty sure it would read over 200BHP there;)

16. iguana Forum Member

Chris, your valver was sounding ace at inters, & looked to be going well too, can't quite belive you pass the noise police at Combe tho! Think you'd stuggle at a few circuits with microphone readers tho- Goodwood, Bedford, Donny.

Oh ment to ask- your front seats, seem v unusual- not just retrimmed RS turbos are they? seem a quite difernet bolster shape.

Cheers.

17. Tony20VTurbo Forum Member

is it worth getting the supersprint 4 branch manifold then?

18. damogti Forum Junkie

Thought i would resurect this thread as i have just bought a 2nd hand ecu with an Oettinger remap on it.....

Unfortunately i only bought the ecu and couldnt get the cams with it so i'm after some replacements to the same spec. The ones fitted to the car were apparently 268 inlet and 260 exhaust. What cams would be best to use, how much do they cost and where is the best place to get them??

Apparently the only other mods on teh engine were a panel filter and de-cated exhaust so i think just the ecu and cams will work well with my engine given that it is already decated and has a K&N induction kit fitted.

Cheers :)

19. Carl loader Forum Member

Will be interrested to get an idea of power gains on this Damo, don't suppose you know what the car is putting out at the mo? Keep us posted!!

20. Matt82

Matt82 Forum Addict

from threads ive read in the past, 260* cams worked really well without upsetting the ECU.

id like to do that one day.

i also wanna do a 4 branch.