Best Mods on ABF 16v???

Discussion in '16-valve' started by damogti, Dec 24, 2004.

1. Carl loader Forum Member

Yeah i'd like a 4 branch too, apparently alot of people have had problems fitting them when the ABF or any other tall block is in a mk2 golf (heard it either hits the bulkhead or steering rack)

Might looking into getting a custom one made, wonder how much that will ......

2. damogti Forum Junkie

Not too sure on current power output, i'd guess at around 160bhp given the airfilter and lack of cat.

I have absolutely no idea on perforance cams and what ones are good or not. I just wanna get the same ones that were used in the engine that the ecu came from. Any ideas on the standard spec of the ABF cams, i did a search earlier but couldnt find any info about it.....

I've thought about a 4 branch before but as you say Carl, there are clearence issues with them on an ABF. I think Scioran (posts on E38, DM and occasionally on here) has sucessfully fitted one on his MK2 ABF though.....

3. Matt82

Matt82 Forum Addict

you based on canvey still? wanna take mine out for a run for a comparison?

4. speedygti8v

speedygti8v Forum Member

i've just fitted a 4 branch and 2.5" bore jetex system to my mk2 abf with a solid front mount and it knocks and bangs loads any ideas which the lowest rear engine mount is?

5. Sukh

Sukh Membership Team Admin

damo,
    I was interested in the ecu as well, but was only going to get it if supplied with the tuned cams . I had some spare ABF ones lying about. Anyway let us know how you get on with it.

6. damogti Forum Junkie

I think you need to fit spacers between the manifold and downpipe to allow it to drop down slightly......

Will keep everyone posted.... the problem i have at the moment is finding some good equivelent replacements and knowing where to go to get them.....

7. speedygti8v

speedygti8v Forum Member

you can't fit a spacer onto the 4 branch although thats how i sorted it with my standard cast manifold. it just needs the back of the engine dropping down abit to clear and i heard that the 8v rear mount is the highest is it 16v or g60 thats the lowest?[:s]

8. damogti Forum Junkie

Ah right.... in that case i dont know. i have a MK2 16v rear mount on my ABF and it still sits too high at the back. Would love to know what the solution is to sort it out [:s]

9. Carl loader Forum Member

Only solution i've heard of is to fit a subframe from a mk3 gti, engine sits that wee bit lower then

10. speedygti8v

speedygti8v Forum Member

oh bugger[8(] :lol:

11. damogti Forum Junkie

Is that a definate solution?? I've never had a definative answer for this......

12. damogti Forum Junkie

I've found a pair of Kent Cams, Inlet is 264 deg and exhaust is 258 deg... would these be ok substitutes for the 268/260 deg ones that would match the map on the ecu i have???

13. mtaylor55 New Member

I want replace the Kjet set up on my KR engine and run a ABF manifold/injectors/loom/ECU etc.
    Anybody know if this is possible?

14. Carl loader Forum Member

Hi, im not sure if its possible as i don't know if the ABF manifold fits onto the KR head (i've just never actually done it so have to wait for someone else to answer that) but even if its possible its alot of work. First you need the manifolds, injectors, throttle body, complete uncut engine loom and the right ecu (and this is a minefield in itself as you either get a rare early one, which is non immobillised, or a more common later which is, but then you need the keys, immobilliser box from behind dash, ignition barrel key reader and wiring loom between all this, plus i think you need to wire in a diagnostic port. This must all be from the same car too)

Then you need a digifant fuel pump set up (main and lift i think?) as the ABF runs on digifant too. Then you need to know whether your car is the later CE2 electrics (hazard on the steering column) which is easier as the engine loom just plugs into the fusebox inplace of the old, or the earlier CE1 (hazard on dash) which has a different fusebox, meaning you need to rewire the ABF engine loom

There's probably other things i've forgot too, but you might be better off just getting a 2L bottom end for your KR (maybe a 9A).

What are you trying to achieve by doing this anyway?

15. davidwort Forum Member

I'd have thought the mk3 subframe would mean you need all mk3 running gear for the plus axle, which means at least a different roll bar, drop links wishbones and tie rods, probably more.

16. davidwort Forum Member

Sounds like a bad idea, at best you'll get a bit of extra mid range and slightly better fuel economy and the ability to map the ECU to the engine, but it would be major grief and cost to do. I'd rather spend the time and money elsewhere.
    I'd have thought a stand alone management system would be better in the long run especially if you plan more engine mods.

17. damogti Forum Junkie

You can use it with MK2 running gear and rollbar etc..... its just the height of the rear mount that im not sure of.....

18. the race shop New Member

heres what you do.take the rear mount off the subframe and turn it around.it has dowl pins but it fits backwards. redrill the mounting hole down 2cm and back 2cm. fits perfect now. hood shuts fine and on my engine it leveled it out,it used to sit up on the right side.
    [​IMG]