bodybuilder

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by joeb, Sep 12, 2007.

1. prof Forum Addict

aye beware of yodas, people who can only move things with their minds

Dan i'm in midlands and Newcastle

and may post some pics soon, however after this cut i'm down to 13.5 stone@ 9% ish which is a little puny so don't hold your breath

2. Dan Gliballs Forum Member

I know what you mean.

At my current gym they're all enthusiastic and in great shape, but at some other gyms I've used, they've been some of THE worst adverts for joining a gym.

Newbies sign up and look to instructors as role-models and examples,........................and Fat Janet with her spots, corned-beef legs, and brand new B-TEC in Sports Science just doesn't cut it.

3. micky1 Forum Member

get a room girls.

4. Dan Gliballs Forum Member

[​IMG]

5. prof Forum Addict

if it has a squat rack in then i'm game [:D]

6. The db

The db Forum Junkie

I love this thread. I do CV workouts to boost my personal fitness in-between weights days and weights to tone up on the days im not doing CV work outs.

I regularly run 2-3 miles on the treadmill using interval training between 6 and 9mph. Also do somewhere between 10-25k on the bike using interval training between settings 10 and 16. Often on weights days I'll warm up by whacking the treadmill to 4mph and setting it up to an incline of 15 and will do 15 mins or so of this (gives you looking calf muscles).If i'm not dripping with sweat and barely able to breath then I haven't worked out hard enough imo.

I dont calorie count, I just eat sensibly. I still dont eat veg because its yucky! But will eat4 or 5 bits of fruit a day (including slicing a nana into me porridge - nyum).

I'm 6ft4 and just a tad over 17.5 stone. Add 4.5stone on top of that and you get an idea of what a lard ass I had become in the last couple of years.

Prof - out of interest, what routine would you recommend to get rid of b*tch tits other than chest presses? I really want to hit my chest hardcore... I can stomach a gut, but the man t*ts - they got to go!

7. sutherlandm Forum Junkie

Db - I found pec decs good for chest toning and pec separation.
    Also incline pec flyes work well too. Lowish weights, high reps.

Benching is more for bulking.

But the main aim to to reduce overall bf% I'd say.

8. prof Forum Addict

f'kin lift and seperate eh! try a cross your heart bra

Toning is nonsense, you make a muscle bigger or smaller, however there are different fibres that respond best to different loads and different reps

DB it really does come down to fatloss, however the bigger you make your muscles the faster that'll happen, so a program designed to pack on mass will be the best bet

based around the big compound movements

pm me your current routine and i'll see where we can improve things

'kin toning, it's made up toss for middle aged ladies with pink weights, not for anyone with half a brain or even a whole brain

9. The db

The db Forum Junkie

:lol:

aye I know it all comes down to fat loss.... but i want it to come off quicker!!! :lol: :lol: I'm just greedy and want things to happen quickly.

Will send you a pm in a bit when I pm dave.

10. prof Forum Addict

to make it come off quicker follow the principles in the book. WHAT YOU EAT WILL MAKE A HUGE DIFFERENCE

write down your food intake for a week too and send that

and start using a tape measure rather than the scales to track progress

11. Ben S

Ben S Forum Junkie

im a little confused regarding the calorie loss from running etc

the machines I use state in kcal

a 20 min run for me (78kg) burns 230kcal, which seems way higher than the figures stated on page 15

12. prof Forum Addict

machines are massively innaccurate, use it as a guide not gospel

but look at all that effort for 200 cals, just drop 200 cals from what you eat in the first place...up to a point

if you eat too little then your body will just slow down your metabolism to suit and weightloss will stop

allow yourself an afternoon a week where you just eat any old **** you like, to keep your leptin levels up

Joel's diet here looks quite fun

13. The db

The db Forum Junkie

I have saturdays as my eat whatever the hell i like days - and often find the scales look their best on a Sunday morning as a result... This week went out had 4 beers, some wine, a meal and lost 3lbs. Result.

14. Ben S

Ben S Forum Junkie

its bloody difficult lol eat too much u get fat, eat too little you get fat as your body stores
    I thought the route to weightloss was no starchy carbs ... that article says eats carbs as they contain that leptin thing

also the following quote:
    "Appropriately timed cardio can actually triple the effectiveness of the program."

dieting, weight loss, fitness, gym-going, weight training etc. it's all very confusing, and the more I read the more I think what I've been doing is the wrong stuff.. it's f00kin confusing

15. prof Forum Addict

what you been doing then ben

I'd say,
    1) don't eat anything processed at all
    2) Lift weights, proper weights, neee namby pamby stuff
    3) do high intensity cardio, not long slow stuff
    4) add healthy fats
    5)eat 1g of protein/lb of body weight

16. Ben S

Ben S Forum Junkie

Last year I went to gym for 1st time ever with my mate at uni. He knew what he was doing and we went 3-4 times a week and did near 3hr weight sessions. So I went from unable to do anything e.g. at first, chest & triceps day included smith machine.. which I could just about do the bar on its own lol, and after a while I was doing chest press with free weights w 16kg a side etc... same with lots of stuff really got up to doing 140 ish kg on leg press .. not done anything b4 remember.

so went from skinny w/ belly to having some shape

anyway that was then and now i go on my own and do a kinda half-arsed non-focused routine:
    last night for example was:
    20 min run/jog at 9.5km/s
    10 min cross-trainer on lvl 7
    smith machine bench press 15kg per side 8 rep x 3
    dumbell bench 14kg weights 10 x 3
    3 lots of 30 crunches
    10kg bicep curls x 20 x 3

unfocused naff routine i know ;P

17. sutherlandm Forum Junkie

Maybe it's just because we happen to eat well but I've never concentrated too much on diet.
    Yes we eat well (loads of veg, fish, pulses, etc) but it never goes further than that.
    Yes I ate a lot when putting on weight,and have a hell of an appetite now, but again, eating is just something we do for fun, not a chore.

I always think -get the routine right and the appetite will increase. Eat sensibly and you'll get results.

18. Ben S

Ben S Forum Junkie

definately high intensity whenever I do cardio on the machines because HR goes off the scale lol

19. The db

The db Forum Junkie

3 hour weight sessions?! Thats pretty hardcore. I do an hour-hour and half, but i dont stop to pose in the mirror or sit looking thoughtful after every 12 reps. 30 second breaks and then back to the next set of reps. Walking to a new machine/adjusting the bench counts as a break for me.

I'm doing 200kg leg presses, but my legs are apparently in good shape and very muscular. I have more of a rugby player build than a runners build. I'll never be slim, but i do want to be in shape.

20. sutherlandm Forum Junkie

Db - I have read plenty of stuff saying shortish sessions are best otherwise your overtrain.
    I stuck to about an hour max.

I used to leg press 200kg but have the legs of a bulimic wren.