Building the Ultimate fast road 2.0 16v Engine

Discussion in '16-valve' started by Willber, Jul 27, 2010.

1. 2dubnick Forum Junkie

Might give them alittle trimming with the grinder like yours then.

2. beetie

beetie Forum Member

this is exactly what i've done.

the other option are wheel spacers

3. swaffGTI Forum Member

useful info here, good work as a reference and an easy mod to do at home:thumbup:

now feel that although we may not be off topic we should get back to wilbers ultimate fast road engine and i should stop a mini hijack

anyone think for his budget he should think about a going custom efi (megasquirt) on standard engine and then improving at a later date, obviously dependant on self input and retuning costs?

4. theboymike Forum Junkie

Back to the original debate. Rightly or wrongly I'd be looking at an ABF with std cams, ported head / matched manifolds, lightened flywheel running on remapped Digi from the Mk3.

As Ess Three points out, the electronic management over K-jet will be of infinitely more use in the future should you choose to play with throttle bodies or forced induction.

Regarding the power output and engine characteristics, a naturally aspirated engine with good low/mid range torque "punch" that also screams to high revs is the holy grail (VTEC, yo? ;)).

With the sort of technology we're playing with, you'll gain top end power at the expense of mid range torque, or vice versa.

As others have said, it's well worth sorting the chassis before thinking about engine mods, however it sounds like you have this sorted :thumbup:

Is this now how all VAG four pot, four valve per cylinder are to be officially known? :lol:

5. monkeyzoo Forum Member

6. chrisbex123 Forum Member

if its of any help i have a mk3 16v im now breaking. its got a stealth racing chip in the ecu, a green induction filter, home ported head!!, schrick 268 inlet cam, full cat back twin 3" magnex exhaust, ported and dewedged throttle body and rebuilt o2a gearbox and new luk clutch. all done roughly 800-1000 miles....

7. paultownsend Forum Member

wilber. do you fancy a ride in my mk2 abf? im in derby though?.....

8. beetie

beetie Forum Member

i've booked mine into stealth for a setup one the rr on 20th august.

i'll update you when i get the results.

spec is:
    abf bottom end
    kr p&p shed head
    kr cams
    jetex exhaust

hoping for around 180bhp (on stealths rollers anyway)

9. CrazyNick Forum Member

Exactly. Its annoying when you ask a question and people answer a completely different one.

I have been thinking exactly the same thing Will. I need more power, but i will hve to make do with what i got.
    You need a ported an polished head, and A good exhaust sytem. should be good fo 175bhp.

You could buy fast road cams but i think the ABF ones are pretty good anyway.

I think if your leaving it at that then you would be better off using k-jet.

After that it will get expensive and i dont think it would be worth it. I know you already got the doner car, but if you want serious power then i would go down the BAM route

10. Willber Forum Member

Will be breaking the MK3 and selling all the redundant MK2 parts once the build is completes - this should end up being a nice little bonus cash pot for any future mods :thumbup:

Interesting reading about ra'a and 280's. Seems a good few people running them without and problems so far though.

Megasquirt is something I am interested in, especially if It will allow me to gain optimal performance from the engine. I can use it to learn more about the technical aspects of the engine management which I can see coming in handy in the future.

PM with prices you have in mind for the parts. :)

Cheers for the offer Paul - very kind of you. If I am ever down your way I might take you up on your offer but for now most of my time is spent fiddling with the MK2 or working (sadly!)

How is yours running now Nick? Might have to go for a blast in it if you are around some time.

I will be getting a decent exhaust system - for performance, looks and sound. [:D]

Re: k-jet, thinking of Megasquirt but need to read into it further.

BAM/ 1.8t engines don't interest me in the MK2 really. I had an A3 with a 1.8t which I thought suited that car very well but it doesn't sit right with me in a MK2. I can see the appeal though but its not for me. I would rather have a forced induction VR6.

The 2.0 16v is very much in keeping with the MK2 in my eyes - in a bringing it slightly more up to date kind of way!

Thanks for your comments guys, some very interesting reading.

Maybe we should move this to MK2 section and have it as a bit of a 'Ultimate Fast Road but not stripped out MK2' thread haha :thumbup: [:D]

11. 2dubnick Forum Junkie

My newest mk2 is sort of what you are looking at building aswell then, little bit lower (25mm), widetracked, abf running 175bhp/146lbft, 280mm set up with RA's and its got all its interior. Its an enjoyable car, and its got more intake noise than exhaust noise which is also nice, just need to build a back box which looks OEM but with larger pipes.

12. Willber Forum Member

Sounds very much like what I am trying to do. Do you have a build thread or anything on it? I love MK2's when they look standard but are well sorted underneath. Something very understated I find about them - especially compared to modern hot hatches!

13. Mike_H Forum Addict

You should be fine, but if you hit a kerb or a pothole and bend the wheel a little bit, you won't get home without swapping the wheel onto the back

14. 2dubnick Forum Junkie

No build thread, keep meaning to put something together thou, I got the car with the engine already in so that was a help but that was the only good thing in the car! Thats what I love about the car, it really does look std to most people but shows a mates modern 10k type r up quite well[:D]

15. CrazyNick Forum Member

'How is yours running now Nick? Might have to go for a blast in it if you are around some time.'

Well it works. I need a new exhaust and various other bits need sortin. I just dont seem to have the time at the moment to do anything to it.
    I have considered selling it, but then i'l be walking up to it from a distance or something, and i will think to my self, how could i sell that. its just such a pretty car.

once i have sorted every thing mechanicaly, i am going to focus on minting it. if i think about more power then i will never be happy.

will definately take you for a spin in it some time

16. loach

loach Forum Member

Having recently completed a 1900 16v project rolled @ 179.5 bhp , i would say even if you are capable of doing most of the work yourself , you will struggle big time to complete within your budget of 1000

17. CrazyNick Forum Member

I know someone who has some new twin weber 45s for sale. and an omex ecu. Dont realy know much about it, but let me know if your interested. It might help in your quest for more power

18. woodersmk1 New Member

1000 budget? nitrous!