Cope's GTI

Discussion in 'Members Gallery' started by copeidge, Jul 14, 2008.

1. copeidge

copeidge Forum Member

I know what your saying but for decent Febi Bilstein track rod ends is around 10 a side, the boots alone are 3/4 quid a side, I'd rather just replace the lot if im having to split the track rod from the hub anyway :)

2. Finite

Finite Paid Member Paid Member

Oh in that case I'd take them off and fit some more decent Lemforder ;) I did see someone selling 5x boots for 4 not sure on the size though and it would mean you don't need to check or mess with the toe straight away.

3. copeidge

copeidge Forum Member

Some updates...

The weekend started as usual for me, getting the train up from London to crack on with the golf for a weekend. With the missus working all weekend it was a perfect opportunity.

I got home around 9pm and set to in the garage, music on, stubby in hand. In my last update I had an issue with my solid top mounts, the bottom plate hadnt been designed correctly. After some time the seller agreed to redesign this part to the specs I supplied, as you can see there is only around 1.5/2mm difference in the thickness of the chamfer on the top plate.

[​IMG]

But this made all the difference. The top mounts cant be twisted at all and the are really secure, result!

One of the hardest things about working on my car is room.. my garage is pretty tight, Im stud next to the wall.

[​IMG]

I aligned my caster by eye using a straight piece of wood and running the top mount parallel with the bolts, pointing towards a bolt on the wing, seems okay for now :)

I also had to test out my new yellow paint pen!

[​IMG]

Next up was my centre caps for my mahles, I sold my chrome set and decided to go for a black set. I gave them a lick of paint to freshen them up, ended up spraying them with stone chip shield. Really happy with the finish.

[​IMG]

I needed a set of BBS resin stickers made to 42mm.. unfortunate the company who did the last set were not able to produce them anymore so I had to go elsewhere.

When they arrived I wasnt best pleased...

[​IMG]

The logo looked pixelated and it wasnt 3D like a BBS logo should.

I messaged the company and credit where its due, there were fantastic! next day delivered exactly what I needed, this time they were perfect.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

:thumbup:

Another thumbs up is needed for the bloke who made my new copper brake lines. Hes called the Classic Car Geek on ebay and made a full set of copper lines for 23! as oppose to 100+ Ive seen them elsewhere. Even better they all cut to size and came labelled with a diagram :thumbup:

[​IMG]

Unfortuanlty I didnt specify which system I had so he supplied me with a set slightly different to my set up ( mine runs from 2 ports at the MC and splits into 2 T pieces) But I was able to use what was there for the bits I needed so all good there :)

Saturday morning I popped down to the garage and got new valves on the RAs and tyres put on the mahles, they even let me crack on and do it myself which was ace. Ben also took me out in his 106 turbo, which was an experience...:p

[​IMG]

Got back home and Fordy popped round with his old gear on to lend a hand with the brakes, In honest I would have never have been able to do it without him!
    I was only wanting to replace the rear brake regulator due to a weep which turned out to be worse than I first thought..

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Replaced with Febi bilstein parts,

but we had to replace all the lines thanks to this..

[​IMG]

The majority of the unions had been nipped up with molegrips...:thumbd: We spent 2 hours trying to shift one on the back axle, we tried Erwin bolt grippers, mole grips everything, in the end we cut off the bracket and will re weld it when I get the front jacking point done in a few weeks time. For the meantime cable ties came to the rescue! [:D]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Had one issue on the last line, after messing with it so much Id cross threaded one of the new unions... bummer, at this point it was midday on Sunday.
    I managed to borrow my dads car and get a brake pipe flaring tool and a pack of unions from Halfords, result!

had a few practise runs on some old pipe.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

After all that was sorted, I bled the system with my easy bleed kit with ATE Super Blue, which I managed to get everywhere!

Went for a test run and alls well!

In hind sight I dont fancy doing another job like this without a ramp, maybe Ill ask my uncle if I can borrow one at his garage next time!
    Its really no fun lying on your back, straining and feeling dizzy everytime you stand up, but hey who am I to moan, at least I have a dry, not so warm place to worklol

For what seems like not much work, I didnt half have a mammoth weekend, literally never stopped. But pretty glad to have got it all done.
    Sunday evening made my way back south on the train, knackered back and knackered hands; but it was nice to sit and have a brew of Yorkshires finest :thumbup:[8D]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 27, 2017
    blis, Sirguydo and beetie like this.
  4. Paul 16v Forum Member

Good work I had a similar nightmare when I did all
    My brake lines.

Where did you get the ate super blue from?

5. copeidge

copeidge Forum Member

Hi mate, its the type200 stuff, not the original super blue. But I grabbed 2 litres from ebay for around 20 :)

6. copeidge

copeidge Forum Member

Managed to get home again on the bank holiday weekend, nothing too exciting to update on the Golf, just some odds and sods.

On the Friday night I took my alternator off, the plan was to grab a new one from GSF, they had a 40% off sale and gave you 53 back for your old one! which would mean a very cheap replacement. Unfortunately they didnt have the correct one in stock so I put the old one back on. Changing the alternator was just a precautionary measure before the ring, its a second hand alternator thats on there so fancied a fresh one at that price.. never mind.

On to Saturday afternoon and I started looking round the engine bay for a strange whistling noise that increased with the revs. It wasnt the alternator or the water pump.. after searching and searching I found the blank was missing from the vacuum pipe at the back of the inlet manifold. So i replaced that with a longer silicone pipe, a bolt and a zip tie; Perfect. :thumbup:

While inspecting I took my cam belt cover off and it seemed my cam belt was pretty loose! there was far too much play so had me worried, I tightened the tensioner properly when I fit the new cam..

I had popped down to the local garage to get my 2 front Ras balanced as they were bit wobbly on the way home so I asked Ben about my cam belt. He came back with 2 tools, one to test how new/old my cam belt is and a holder for the tensioner which is basically a stick with 2 prongs so you can hold the tensioner in place while tightening the bolt up. This made the job so much easier, I didnt use the tool before so obviously the tensioner had loosened..not ideal. Anyway glad I spotted that.

On Sunday I went round to Harpers lock up, hes putting a V5 engine in his golf and he needed help fitting his coilovers, we had that done in 3 hours which was pretty good going.

Onto Saturday night and I wanted to sort my wiper stalk as my washer werent working caused buy a faulty switch in the stalk.

[​IMG]

I managed to use 2 bad stalks to make one good one. Very fiddly job with springs flying everywhere! Position 2 doesnt work on the MFA but the washer work so thats all good for the MOT, Ill keep my eyes peeled for a new stalk in the mean time.

Saturday night I went out for a drive with Ford which was nice and got back at 1am, really feels strong on the road now!

Monday came and I wanted to finally swap the wheels over to my road tyres. Really like it on the new centre caps but ideally I want to run 195/45s instead of 185/45s at this height. I want to leave the height as is now so its easy just to swap to my semi slicks for trackways :) I have a set of 195/45s in the garage so might swap them over soon.

Give the Golf a good clean, inside and out. Ive felt recently Ive been neglecting him a little in terms of cleaning, with all the track days and swapping/changing parts all the time.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I went to town on the interior got him looking mint! Gave the outside a good clean too.

I also found when washing that the rubber fuel cap surround just filled with water. Ive always been dubious about removing the rubber due to rust... I happened to be very very lucky and its seems there only bit of surface there. This is a massive result considering how much crap was behind there!

[​IMG]

there was a massive chunk of crud trapped in the drain

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

some clean shots :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

and back in his home

[​IMG]

I will give him a good polish and wax next time Im back. Im hoping Ill have received my exhaust by then too :thumb:

Ive also just done my insurance renewal with HIC, they are brilliant on the phone! got all my mods declared even down to wheel spacers. I can drive any car fully comp, Eu breakdown cover, Personal injury cover and agreed valuation, 5,000 miles a year for 600... Which Im pretty happy with. I can get a classic policy for 350 ish but which having everything declared and all the extras its well worth it :)

jamesa and beetie like this.
  7. copeidge

copeidge Forum Member

Went back up home for the weekend again, this time to meet a client for some Graphics work and also take my car over to my uncles for its MOT...I managed to sort loads of bits and bobs on the golf over the course of the weekend in between other things.

First up swap the track rod ends. I split the old bushes with a rubbish ball joint splitter. replaced with Febi Bilstein items

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Of course I had to mark it up with my paint paint lol

After that was sorted I needed to make a bush for the rear compensator valve spring. This had buggered when we did the brakes the other weekend. I found a genuine one on ebay but I refuse to pay 6 for a small rubber bush. My mate gave me this bush, god knows what its from but I drilled a few holes in it and lopped the ends of so the spring sat tightly.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

But a cable tie round it to avoid it popping off.

Took my parents out for some food Saturday night and for about 3 miles there was a grinding noise that was coming from the drivers side front, I thought Id fitted my track rod ends wrong. Got home late but decided to check it out, it wasnt my track rod ends at all..

It was fairly evident from my disc..

[​IMG]

Whipped the pad about to find this. SOUND.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

These are Black diamond fast road pads but clearly havent been able to take the heat on track. Ive since ordered a set of Ferodo DS2500s to try after all the great reviews. My disc looks bad but you cant feel any marks with your finger so Ill whack some pads in a see how I go.

Next on the list was to replace my front engine mount, no pics of this but replaced with a Febi Bilstein item.

Next up I tried to make my seats a little bit less wobbly, firstly fitted new bushes to the rails.
    I took off the catch pins and they are really worn.....

[​IMG]

After looking online they are 20 for a pair to replace! So for the time being I ran some fibreglass round them to beef them up, I doubt they will last 2 minutes but it will do until I find a replacement :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Gave them a lick of black paint and back in the car.

Next up on the list was an electrical issue Im having. My reverse lights, number plate lights dont work (changed bulbs, fuses and checked earths) and my passenger side side light randomly lights up when the lights and engine are off! very strange. But thats a job for my uncle to look at.

I decided to pretend like I new what I was doing and have a poke around with my multimeter. I have zero knowledge of electrics but what I do know is you usually need a live and an earth for something to work... so after having a prod around I couldnt find anything.. no surprises there... but what I did find was a live connector behind the fuse box just dangling around so I wrapped that up in leccy tape to save an disasters. I found these wires all bundled together? anyone any ideas? I think its for the old dodgy alarm that is sat there no doing anything, who knows, non of the wires were live.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

On Sunday I had a bit of a free day so decided to give the golf a well earned polish and wax, always really surprised how she cleans up.

Used Dodo Juice lime price and Swissvax Sheild on the paint, the Boiled Linseed on the bumpers.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I then drove it over to my uncles to leave with him for MOT and a few jobs before hand that Ive not had chance to do...I say a few jobs, I wrote him a list..

Waterpump, thermo and flange
    Welding on front N/S jacking point
    Steering rack bushes and bolts
    Lighting problems
    Order me a new Gen Alternator
    MOT

I supplied all the parts so lets hope they are right :)

I told him theres no rush to get him back, just that Im off to the ring in it in June so it might be a couple of weeks before I hear anything. Fingers crossed..:thumbup:

blis likes this.
  8. Mk2Singh Forum Member

love how it sits on the bbs mahles

9. copeidge

copeidge Forum Member

Some updates on the golf :) some exciting updates and some bad news....

Before it went to my uncles place for its MOT there were a few jobs Id asked him to do.

Ill start with the worst of it... (but this isnt the bad news..)

Id noticed some underseal peeling near the N/S/F jacking point, after picking it away I found a small hole on the edge of where the cup sits on the floor pan, about a 5p size.

So I asked my cousin to sort that, and while he was there search the underside for any more rust that might need welding up.

I was minding my own business at work when he sent me these pictures...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

you can see the bit I previously welded... I think Ill leave it to the experts!

[​IMG]

Yep... thats alot of metal out! but I was happy because I know he always does a great job and takes alot of care.

I stupidly forgot to get some pictures after, but he has done an amazing job!

They also fitted a new alternator and water pump, neither of which needed replacing yet, although the alternator bearings were starting to make a sounds and the water pump pulley had some lateral play - I wanted it all sorted before we set off to Germany.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Its always nice to have shiny new parts! :)

Its a shame I didnt get chance to do all this myself, but will our trip looming and it costing me a fortune to get back there in trains it didnt seem logical.

They also fitted some new steering rack bushes, bolts and clamps - replaced the bushes with some Bugpack polybushes.

[​IMG]

With the welding sorted, I got myself a fresh MOT!

[​IMG]

with the usual play in rear wheel bearings as an advisory. pretty chuffed with that :)

Next up was to fit some new seat latch pins. Recaro ones on ebay are almost 50 for a set of 4. Rubjonny suggested standard GTI ones would fit, these were 12 for a set of 4! so saved me a bob or two!

[​IMG]

Next up was to fit some new sill stickers after the welding.

[​IMG]

Got them on nice using soapy water, heat gun and squeegee :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Next on the list was to fit my new brake pads, Ferrodo ds2500

[​IMG]

When my uncle brought my car back, he rang me to say hed locked it away in my garage and that he had some bad news.... there was a pause of silence for a second... he had kurbed a wheel.

He said it took him all day to pluck up the courage to tell me. I really wasnt that bothered, they arent perfect and never will be. But I wanted to sort them so that was my next job

[​IMG]

Picture isnt great but hed done a pretty good job of it haha

[​IMG]

Sanded the lip back a repolished it, again not perfect, but its better :)

By this point I had 2 jobs left to do before I was all ready for the Nurburgring on the 23rd June!

1. Fit my new exhaust
    2. Change my oil and filter

We will start with the bad news.. the oil and filter.
    What seems like the easiest and simplest task to do on pretty much any car turned into abit of a dog! Started the usual way of getting the car above 80 degrees to open the thermostat in the external cooler, draining the oil, replacing the filter with a short Lupo GTI stubby one, then refilling with oil. When tightening the oil filter the thermo plate was still a little loose ( I had tightened the nut holding it all together with the access being limited. Its a 27mm socket/spanner but the housing of the thermo plate means you cant seat it properly.) I figured when tightening the oil filter it would then secure everything up because it uses the same thread.. if that makes sense. Anyway, that didnt go to plan and I think i have over tightened the oil filter meaning I had a leak... GREAT! on further inspection it seems like the original cooler has split along the pressing line. This was Sunday evening and my last job to do before I was Ring ready..sods law!

So a quick call to my uncle, I dashed over to his house before my train back and dropped the golf off with him. Ive ordered a new cooler which arrived at their garage yesterday. So its in their capably hands!

thats the bad news!- my own bloody fault which is most annoying when you cant blame anyone else! haha

NOW... the good news!

new exhaust time! This has been a long time waiting!

I entered a competition on Bridge to Gantry to design this years VLN Milltek fiesta. The prize was a new exhaust for your car. Im a graphic Designer by trade and love anything Motorsport so this was a win win situation for me even if I didnt win. But luckily I did win! heres the Fiesta in question

[​IMG]

turns out its doing rather well! with a win in its first race.

With that I had an email from Milltek asking for my details, I was asking what type of exhaust they would send me. If it was going to be some horrible big bore Id have ordered it for one of my mates cars. Steve said they had just started making a classic system, which was a replica of the original VW made in stainless - this was the perfect option for me!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Id heard good and bad things about Milltek and the quality of their exhausts. But I have to say I was pretty blown away by it, the quality is amazing!

[​IMG]

Started by removing the back box

[​IMG]

I remember a few years ago the centre box was blowing so I replaced it with a straight pipe. Id forgotten we had welded it to the mid box... a good idea at the time! So out came the grinder to whip that off.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

for what ever reason there was about 3 layers of metal in there! which is great for exhaust flow.....

I wanted to keep the system with 2 boxes, instead of the 3 supplied. This is down to a couple of things, I wanted a little more noise and also for more clearance getting on and off my driveway which is pretty steep. I will be replacing the downpipe with a stainless one Im having made, along with a straight piece of stainless to replace the steel thats currently there. So for now the system is the standard manifold to a steel downpipe and centre section to the 2 new stainless boxes. Not ideal but it works and will get sorted at a later date :)

[​IMG]

Theres me making some adjustments

Went to get my tracking checked so had a picture of it on the ramp

[​IMG]

Putting the exhaust together was an absolute pleasure! Everything is very well made and slotted together without a hitch! Mega thumbs up from me :)

I grabbed a couple of videos

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F5Tc2GNBZSE

I had my GoPro in the car with the external mic out the rear hatch, had a little play with a brand new BMW 228i, the little 8v didnt do badly at all!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q_OKUsqLTwY

On reflection the exhaust sounds perfect! it sounds completely like the stock exhaust when cruising along but when you start to open it up it sounds much cleaner & raspier without any droning - exactly what I was after - Can you tell Im still pretty excited by it!

So that was my weekend, Ive not heard anything from my uncle yet but Im confident they will sort the oil leak out :)

My next up date should be Nurburgring time! 15 days and counting! Wish me luck :)

blis likes this.
  10. Nige

Nige Paid Member Paid Member

The Livery on the Fiesta looks great in the Flesh too :clap:

Only thing I`d look to tweak is the clip holding the old system to the new. You don`t want that being the lowest point on the exhaust. The Karussel tends to touch bits that hang down and it could bend it. Rotate it so the bolt is to the side. A bit harder to access, but worth it in the long run :thumbup: It may be higher than it looks, I can only see that last photo.

Make sure you take plenty of photos of your trip [:D]

11. copeidge

copeidge Forum Member

Thanks Nige! thats a good spot! Its something I didnt think about when lying on my back!

i will do!

some pictures of how it sits in the panel

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

blis and Nige like this.
  12. Sirguydo

Sirguydo Fastest milkman in the West Paid Member

Looking very nice :thumbup:
    You're almost as good/bad as Lukeybabes lol

Enjoy you trip to the ring :thumbup:

13. copeidge

copeidge Forum Member

haha thanks mate! :) next up is a tracking frame similar to Luke's!

14. copeidge

copeidge Forum Member

Good news, Golfs back from my uncles garage. My pal Ford drove my car back which was brilliant, saved me a fortune in trains! He seemed to be having fun when he rang me on his way back home :)

It was the original cooler as I suspected.

[​IMG]

and no more leaks

[​IMG]

So thats it.

Im now RING ready! this i very very scary! the next time I drive the golf will be in 10 days time when we are on our way to Hull for the ferry over to Rotterdamn.

Lets see how the old girl does this year! :)

afbiker02, Nige, blis and 2 others like this.
  15. blis Forum Member

The exhaust looks awesome.... car looking great, exhaust sound awesome... happy days!

16. 8vmike New Member

Have you got a link to the eBay user you got the brake lines made from? Tried to find the user earlier but no luck!

17. copeidge

copeidge Forum Member

Nurburgring '16

So here we go, the Nurburgring update!

We had an absolutely amazing time and we all cant wait to book again next year!
    The trip did throw up the odd little hiccup for the mk2, well a little more than a little hiccup which Ill come to later.

Got back home from work on Wednesday night ready to leave for the ferry on Thursday afternoon.

[​IMG]

Got the car all packed up with tools, spare fluids, jack & stands, spare parts and my semi slicks - Im a firm believer in over preparing.

So we all set off for Hull where we would catch the ferry to Rotterdam - meeting Josh on the way.
    The ferry was a 8:30pm sail arriving in Rotterdam at 9:00am.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Going onto the ferry the golf got searched and I was asked what I was doing and where I was going. Has a good laugh with the woman checking my car, she said she liked my tyres which Im guessing she meant wheels! all was going well until she thought my california scent was a weed grinder! lol Swiftly managed to avoid a cavity search and onto the ferry I went!

Parked up in the bay and had a few bikers asking about the car and what we were up to.

[​IMG]

So that night we enjoyed the all you can eat buffet which is genuinely really really good, fairly pricy at 26 for Dinner and Breakfast but saves the hassle of stopping somewhere over there. We also enjoyed some poor lass murder some songs and had a dash at the casino. Couple of beers later and some rest ready for the day ahead.

[​IMG]

From the ferry its around a 3:30 drive to the ring. We were staying in Adenau this year which was much easier getting to and from the track :)

We drove for a couple of hours through Holland and into Germany and stopped off at a little town - the same place as last year. We went to the same cafe and they remembered us which was nice!

We were in no rush to get going as we couldnt pick our house keys up til 5pm so we had a steady drive down to the ring.
    That morning we had just found out about Brexit, which was a massive shock to all of us. I was certainly very aware we were driving on UK plates. I was minding my own business in the inside lane on the motorway when a car pulled along side me the passenger holding a note to his window. I couldnt really see - so I got closer - the note read C**T this was clearly a reflection of Brexit. I radioed through to other lads so they were aware. As you can imagine I was pretty shocked! Im glad we all kept our cool and drove on regardless.

We came off the motorway and soon hit the roads I was familiar with, the beautiful Eifel mountains.
    The area around the ring is amazing! incredible scenery coupled with amazing smooth roads; you can really see why people who arent into motorsport come here.

We arrived at the house and collected the keys, this place was awesome!! Id found it on a holiday rentals site. Its in Adenau the closet town to the Nurburgring, and cost us around 60 each for 5 nights - Bargain and much cheaper than the local hotels.

Some pictures of the house :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The place was immaculate! the owner asked weather any of the cars leaked any fluid because his drive was clean. I replied with no .... this is where the golf let me down when I suffered a monumental oil leak all over his drive... Ill come to that later.

The house also had a basement you could access on the drive which was really handy for swapping wheels over etc.

[​IMG]

That night we go settled, went to the supermarket down the road and grabbed some steaks and beers.

[​IMG]

So onto Saturday

The track was closed for tourists until 6pm which was later cancelled as the VLN ran over the time slot.
    We spent the day exploring the museum which was brilliant and the Kart track. That night we travelling back to the house to this amazing view.

[​IMG]

Parked up at the house where we were all getting showered and changed ready to go for food. We were all really excited because the day after the track was open from 8:00am til 7:00pm! everything was going to plan until Harper noticed this... right on the owner driveway! :o

[​IMG]

I immediatly thought that was trip over for me - I assumed it was coming from the new standard oil cooler I had fitted.
    I pulled the Golf onto the road and began search for the leak by torch light.

It was my external oil cooler! This seemed really strange as its not so long since new! and its never had a peep of oil from any of the connection. I was hoping for a hose needed nipping up.. but I was not meant to be.

[​IMG]

Oil was ****ing from the bottom of the cooler and all the hoses were nipped up. I was thinking a stone had punctured it.

Never the less it was getting late and we were all hungry so decided to leave it and get some grub. I was surprisingly in a pretty chipper mood. We sat and contemplated how we could get the golf fixed ready for the track in the morning.

We did have some epic pizza which made me feel better! lol

[​IMG]

We got back to the house around 11:30pm and Josh gave me a hand with the Golf.
    We had made some phone calls to some local lads and nobody had a spare cooler. So we were left with 2 options, wait til the morning to find another cooler -but tomorrow was Sunday and most places would be shut. So we went for option 2 which was to remove the leaking cooler, leave the sandwich plate in place and loop one of the oil hoses back on itself.

This was the cooler... I cant work out why this has happened but Ive taken it up with Mocal who seem keen to help.
    [​IMG]

nothing has hit the cooler its simply bent and failed... not good.

I got blathered in oil but we got there in the end.

[​IMG]

Once we got that fixed we drove to Lidl at the other side of Adenau to let the car get up to temperature. theres no houses around there so there was no chance of waking anyone up.

[​IMG]

The car got to 90 degrees oil temp and there were no leaks! bonus! It was now 1am but I was keen to go for a blast and get it really hot. Id rather it dump its oil all over the road than half way around the ring! Got back to the house with the oil temp reaching 110 degrees and all was well no more leaking!!!

This was a massive relief as you can imagine! I cleaned all the oil off the car and I was happy and confident it would be alright going round the track. If I had any doubt there would be a drop of oil spilt I wouldnt have risked it.

So went to bed feeling good, excited for the day ahead and feeling very thankful this happened where it did. Yes I had to spend some time cleaning his driveway but at least I hadnt caused a biker to come off on the ring. :thumb:

Woke up Sunday to this

[​IMG]

Incredible place.

A better picture of the repair

[​IMG]

I used some old hose I brought with me to stop it rubbing on other bits.

and began to mop up the oil on the road

[​IMG]

Swapped my wheels over, checked my fluids, tyre pressures and headed for the ring opening at 8am

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Nige likes this.
  18. copeidge

copeidge Forum Member

The laps!

Last year I managed a 10:13 ish. Although I wasnt aiming for times I wanted to get below a 10min lap.
    The Golf has developed so so much over the last year and I thought it was capable. I just had to be aware of my oil temps.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

After 4 laps on the Sunday I had managed a 9:35! my quickest lap of the week - you can imagine I was over the moon! especially as we had a fair amount of traffic. The car felt perfect. Well balanced, a good amount of power over last year and out handled many cars and I was carrying good pace.

Here is my fastest lap. I did learn a big lesson from this lap. a big lesson! never drive on track with a stupid lanyard on your keys!
    at the start of the lap I somehow managed to switch my own engine off... When watching the video back I cant really think of another reason. Luckily i realised pretty much instantly and managed to continue on! This could have been pretty nasty if the steering lock went on [:s]. Luckily it didnt, I gave myself a slap on the wrist and got on with my lap.

Fordy was riding shotgun on this lap which he seemed to enjoy!

[video=youtube;RKxseFbopUI]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RKxseFbopUI[/video]

We both came away gaining from ear to ear! :thumb:
    I really like the POV helmet cam, its give a good idea of how bumpy the track is - but doesnt really show how narrow it is or the blind corners.

It was now around 3pm and decided to go and find a spot to do some spectating. Unfortunately my navigating skills were pretty shocking and we ended up lost in the middle of the forest! We walked for a couple of hours and found our way back to Adenau! where we just ended up watching from Adenau Bridge!

[​IMG]

Found this little church on our travels, must have been miles away from the nearest house but had lit candles inside...

[​IMG]

Back to civilisation and with the track closing thoughts went to food!

We decided to go back to the Pistenklause for some well deserved steak

[​IMG]

My oil had got to 128 degrees on track, pretty much the limit of the oil. But the golf was ticking over just find so I was happy as long as it stayed below 130 on track.

The next day I woke up to some rain.
    [​IMG]
    The track was open from 5:15pm til 7:00pm, by that time it had dried out a little bit. Me and harper went out for a test run to see how slippery it was in the damp- verdict was it was slippery!

We waited another hour or so and I went out passenger in Joshs Golf, the track was dry so I took mine out for one last blast!

I managed a 9:38 on this lap with some heavy traffic! I say traffic in particular some numpty in a Dis-Astra who wouldnt let me past for half the lap! He kept looking in his mirrors and could clearly see me flashing my lights. The rule is on the ring if something is on your tail let it past, it doesnt matter what it is, its going quicker. I was fairly calm about the situation but Harper wasnt happy which you will hear in the video. In hindsight I should have perhaps backed off. I was going a lot quicker earlier on in this lap and we came to the conclusion Id be on for around a 9:15-9:25 if I hadnt been held up. Either way again Id learnt a lot and most importantly wed had a blast.

[video=youtube;wmeeq50YwGc]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wmeeq50YwGc[/video]

And that was that.

I spent the next morning cleaning the drive!

[​IMG]
    I finished and the owner came to inspect the house literally 20 mins after Id finished. He was pretty annoyed saying in Germany you are not aloud to wash cars on the drive... I kept my mouth shut and just apologised!

Our time at the ring was coming to an end!
    We had all had an amazing trip!! one we will never forget!

[​IMG]

I have a video from another lap having a battle with a Mk7 GTI - and getting a thumbs up from the driver :) which was a great feeling!
    I also met a local lad, who had an E36 M3- one of my all time favourite cars. He offered to take me out. Ill post up the video of that later, one hell of a car and one hell of a driver, keeping up with the Ring Taxi M5!

Driving back to the UK I noticed a slight click/judder I could feel through the accelerator pedal in traffic. I didnt have time to investigate the problem but I think the rear engine mount has gone, no biggie, Ive never replaced it and it shouldnt be a hard job.

So all in all Im massively proud! The wee little 8v had done it again, and showed a few of the bigger boys how it was done along the way! From 7 years ago when I found the car in a barn to now doing sub 10 laps around the Ring!

INCREDIBLE!

[l]

Sirguydo, Savagesam, jamesa and 3 others like this.
  19. sports racer Forum Member

Great read and congrats on getting down to 9:35, well done.

Can you please post a photo of how your camera is mounted. It gave a great feel to how you drove and made me feel like I was in the car with you.

Cheers

Paul

20. Nige

Nige Paid Member Paid Member

This is exactly what I`ve been saying for years. Imagine if that completely failed whilst you were on circuit !!. Doesn`t matter how hard you are pushing, a failed oil cooler is a failed oil cooler :o

Fortunately it didn`t, you spotted the leak and removed it but it`s a warning to all those who keep coming out with the same old "Just driving within yourself and it`ll be fine" statements. Not every failure is caused by someone overdriving !!

Sounds like you had a cracking trip and I`m really pleased for you it held together after all the prep you`ve done :clap: Massive drop in times compared to last year, do you think that`s down to the car, tyres, your driving or a combination of both ?

That house sounds a great deal for a group of you :thumbup: I hate helmet cam videos I`m afraid and I just don`t enjoy watching them so I`ve only watch 30 seconds or so.