Cope's GTI

Discussion in 'Members Gallery' started by copeidge, Jul 14, 2008.

1. Toyotec

Toyotec CGTI Committee - Happy helper at large Admin

Excellent account and video.

Little 8v sound quite fruity!

Thanks for sharing.

2. copeidge

copeidge Forum Member

Thanks Paul! My helmet is back at home so I can't grab a picture but its mounted with one of those 3M sticky pads thats comes with the GoPro :)

Exactly!! anything can and will happen out there! Local have been pretty great about the whole thing and so far are emailing me straight back and communicating. They want me to send them to cooler back to run tests. His initial thoughts were that the oil has over pressurised and caused it to burst? I told him its a new oil pump so I doubt that. But i'll send it back anyway and see what they say.

Yeah that house was a fantastic find! I hope they will have us back next year!
    I really like the helmet cam, but I can see why you don't like it. Unfortuanlty there is nothing solid enough in my car to get a decent video. I could mount it on my dash but I like to see what I'm doing behind the wheel so this is the best option :) :thumb:

As for the massive drop in times I think its a combination of all things. The car was defiantly more capable uphill and on the fast straights, I was actually running out of gears on the section before Adenauer Forst. Also everything just seemed to come together nicely I had a lot more confidence in how the car was going to react and as a result I was able to push harder. I still think on a quiet dry day I could get a good chunk more off the 9:35. But as I said I wasn't really pushing for times, just wanted a sub 10 :)

I also think just getting more laps under my belt! In total I've only done 10 laps. I've done thousands on playstation and iRacing but that doesn't really count ;)

Thanks matey! I'm just sorting out some more videos so I'll post them up when they are rendered and uploaded :)

Cheers guys :)

Last edited: Jul 5, 2016
  3. copeidge

copeidge Forum Member

Had some more good news today!!!!
    HIC have agreed to value my car at 7,500 so I'm over the moon

All the hard work is paying off :)

4. jamesa Forum Junkie

That`s the fourth `forum` Mocal cooler to `go` in the last six months ... hope that you get to the root cause.

HIC value ... is that what you would expect to receive if it was to be stolen - unrecovered / written off ?

5. copeidge

copeidge Forum Member

Yeah, i asked for 7,500 expecting/hoping for 6,000 ish. But its great they have just agreed it!
    I woud never sell it for that or be happy if i wrote it off and got that. To me its completely priceless. But saying that 7,500 isnt bad for any mk2. I had to supply 10 photos and a detailed description of the work carried out :-)

jamesa likes this.
  6. MUSHY 16V

MUSHY 16V Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Aye Andrew was just thinking the same about the Mocal oil cooler

7. Mk2Singh Forum Member

Awesome car dude. What suspension setup have you got on it?

8. Savagesam

Savagesam Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Avo V2's? I believe read on another thread or I'm totally wrong and they are called something totally different lol

9. copeidge

copeidge Forum Member

Thanks very much :-)

They are KW V3's - hands down the best things ive ever bought!

10. copeidge

copeidge Forum Member

[video=youtube;0KUCvG9a_GE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0KUCvG9a_GE[/video]

11. Mk2Singh Forum Member

Thanks Dude! look forward to more updates :)

12. copeidge

copeidge Forum Member

Went back this weekend, to help ford swap parts over from his old TT to his new one.
    Also went over to barnsley to have a wander around the charity show at the old post office - had some nice comments about the golf which is always nice :) Didnt really do a fat lot to the Golf, my engine mount hadnt arrived so ended up just tinkering!

Gave my bay a clean :)

I had a black coolant cap which was rubbish at letting pressure out, you can see coolant all over the hoses

[​IMG]

Swapped it for a blue one :)

[​IMG]

Wrapped up all the important bits so they didnt get wet,

[​IMG]

Final results :)

[​IMG]

came out pretty well, it will never be perfect but its not about that :)

[​IMG]

Ive also managed to turn my exhaust tips gold.. I presume with the heat from track

[​IMG]

I was happy to find the photographer at the ring had got some picture of me in the Carousel :)

You can really see looking at the sidewall of the tyre how much they flex, and this is on semi slicks which have extremely stiff sidewalls!

[​IMG]

1 year apart :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

When I was at the ring I got speaking to a local lad with an E36 M3, he offered to take me out! I couldnt jump in fast enough!
    Heres the video for anyone interested. Bloody good car and driver, he even managed to keep up with the M5 ring taxi! top marks :)

[video=youtube;DsSgNS4Gt_I]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DsSgNS4Gt_I[/video]

Last edited: Sep 27, 2017
  13. copeidge

copeidge Forum Member

Bit of an update.

Ive been in contact with Mocal about my split oil cooler. I have to say they have been fantastic! really helpful and get everything sorted within a week, so cant argue with that!

They initially thought it had split due to over pressurised oil. After I sent the old cooler back they said it was actually a failed core inside the cooler - which is what I thought because its had a new oil pump not so long ago.

I did express my concern about the quality of the parts and whether they were up to the job.
    They assured me that this is a very rare occurrence and offered to give me one of their better quality models for free - which was really good of them! - They usually test their coolers with air to make sure it can cope with the pressures but they agreed to test the new one with oil before sending it out. Its really nice to deal with a company who make such an effort, it would have been easy for them to ignore my email. Top marks Mocal!

Onto fitting, it was the same size as the last one which was handy, but I stupidly send the brackets I used last time back with the cooler...
    Fordy gave me some stainless sheet to make some new ones.
    I had a wedding to go to Saturday night and needed to golf to get there so had that as my deadline. I was all going well until I realised I didnt have any nuts and bolts... :| I managed to cobble together what I could find in my garage as a temporary fix that night.

[​IMG]

The screw headed bolts were a bloody pain in backside!

So onto Sunday. I nipped to Halfrauds and got fleeced for some bolts...
    Looking at the cooler I wasnt too happy with how it sat; it wasnt level, the bolts were mismatched and it was mounted too close to my radiator causing it to catch - Id only driven about 10 miles so new it would be fine for the short trip.

[​IMG]

With this in mind I decided to do it all properly.. Do it right, do it once If its not right, its wrong

Began to make some proper mount out of the new stainless which is much more sturdy than the flimsy stuff that came with the previous cooler. Drilled some holes, added some bends, cleaned up with the grinder.. It actually took me all day! haha and its sad to say it was so satisfying!

I added some more silicone hose to the edges Id trimmed from the slam panel.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

and last minute I decided to make a little s bracket to support it to the top of the slam panel - which tightened the lot up.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And thats pretty much my weekend!
    Exciting Eh! :thumbup: lol

fasteddie likes this.
  14. jamesa Forum Junkie

Politely suggest that you add some flexibility to the cooler - body attachment points, to allow for cooler expansion.

Where the cooler brackets attach to yours.

15. copeidge

copeidge Forum Member

Thats a great suggestion. The cooler has room to expand with heat but I might take that onboard and add some thick rubber washers on the brackets :)

16. 1.8T_mk2

1.8T_mk2 Paid Member Paid Member

17. copeidge

copeidge Forum Member

Thanks very much, they look ideal! :)

18. Coakers

Coakers Forum Member

Phew, inspiring thread! (read from beginning from a couple of days ago) been reading up on quite a few of these builds (I'm new to diy mechanics but I'm HOOKED) love the attention to detail and enthusiasm at keeping these old cars going.
    I have a long way to go with mine, also a black small bumper! but 16v but your thread has given me a lot of useful tips as well as being just an enjoyable read so thanks!

Sent from my D6503 using Tapatalk

19. copeidge

copeidge Forum Member

Ive just booked Croft for Sept 5th! Mega excited! Its my local track so Ive been itching to go for a while. Ive watched BTCC there and my mate racing in the Northern Saloon Car Championship so to be able to drive it is a privilege.

[​IMG]

Lots of prep/check to do :)

fasteddie likes this.
  20. JackSawyer95 Paid Member Paid Member

This is awesome! So much love this car it looks amazing given me so many ideas for my car! :clap: